This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole is kid friendly and loaded with flavor. This cheesy burger casserole is made with simple ingredients and the perfect weeknight meal.
Big Mac Tator Tot Casserole Recipe:
This Big Mac Casserole Recipe is one of my family’s favorite ground beef casserole. The ground beef mixture is layered in a baking dish and topped with a single layer of tots.
Our favorite part is the mixture of the copycat big mac sauce. This special sauce adds so much flavor to the hamburger and is made with simple ingredients.
You can easily top this casserole with your favorite burger toppings. Then add a side of French fries for a complete meal idea. My kids request this casserole weekly and I can see why. This is an easy dinner recipe.
How to Make Big Mac Sauce:
If you are looking for an easy sauce to add to burgers, chicken and more, make this big mac sauce.
Big Mac Sauce Recipe is one of my favorite recipes to keep stocked in the fridge. My kids love it for a dipping sauce and it is even better as a burger sauce.
These simple ingredients is all you need to make this delicious sauce.
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup French Dressing
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- White Wine Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Lean Ground Beef
- Big Mac Sauce (or thousand island dressing)
- Onion, diced
- Diced Dill Pickles (or dill relish)
- Garlic Powder
- American cheese
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
How to Make Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 – Brown Ground Beef – In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat. Cook until browned and onions are translucent.
- Step 3 – Add in Ingredients – Add the Big Mac Sauce, American cheese, and diced pickles. Then add in garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and mix well.
- Step 4 – Spoon Mixture – Spoon the beef mixture into a 9×13 Casserole dish. Then line up the tater tots on top of the beef in a single layer.
- Step 5 – Bake Casserole – Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes. Bake until you have crispy tater tots.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Top with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and more big mac sauce if desired.
Can you Make ahead of time?
Yes, this is the perfect casserole to make ahead of time. It is also a great recipe to double or split into two pans. If you prepare ahead of time, place the casserole in the fridge covered with plastic wrap.
We have even frozen one to enjoy later. Make sure to store in freezer safe container covered with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
This casserole can be baked frozen. You will need to adjust your cooking time if placing in the oven frozen.
Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Tips:
- Cooking Ground Beef – Before layering the ground beef mixture in make sure to cook the ground beef completely. Make sure to drain excess grease before mixing in the sauce and seasoning.
- Baking Casserole – Bake the big mac tater tots are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Baking Dish – We baked this casserole in a 9×13 baking dish, but you can also bake in two 8×8 baking pans.
- Shredded Cheese – We used slice American cheese in this recipe, but you can use any type of cheese. We recommend cheddar cheese, triple cheddar cheese blend, or pepper jack cheese.
- Big Mac Sauce – We love making Homemade Big Mac Sauce for this recipe. But you can also use thousand island dressing mayo for a great substitute.
- Change the Meat – You can make this recipe with ground turkey or ground chicken. We have even done half turkey and ground beef for a delicious substitute.
- Chopped Bacon – Bacon can easily be stir into the beef mixture for added flavor. Everything taste better with bacon.
- Tater Tot Substitute – You can easily substitute tater tots with shredded hashbrowns, frozen french fries, or diced potatoes. You may need to adjust cooking time if your potatoes are thawed.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftovers in the fridge in an air tight container. The casserole will stay good for up 4 days.
Print Recipe for Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole:
Big Mac Tator Tot Casserole
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until browned and onions are translucent.
- Add the Big Mac Sauce, American cheese, diced pickles,, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and mix well.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a 9×13 pan, then line up the tater tots on top of the beef.
- Bake uncovered for 45 min.
- Top with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and more big mac sauce if desired.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe