This Cowboy Casserole Recipe is a family favorite. We love this easy weeknight meal because it is loaded with ground beef, corn, cheese and tator tots.
Easy Cowboy Casserole Recipe:
Cowboy casserole recipe is the perfect weeknight meal. It is also a great meal to bring to pot locks or to serve to a crowd. We love that the ingredients are flexible and can be thrown together quickly and easily.
This hearty and creamy casserole is easily on our meal plan weekly. It is the best comfort food as it is packed with so much flavor and the melty cheese. The crispy tator tots top this casserole, bringing all the flavors together.
This family-friendly dish can be made with pantry ingredients for an easy dinner any day of the week.
What is Cowboy Casserole?
Cowboy Casserole is family favorite meal. The ingredients are layered to make an amazing casserole. We love that this casserole can be made with items that we already have.
You can easily add in beans and tomato sauce. The options are endless on what to add. This cowboy casserole is also called tator tot casserole.
Casserole Dish Recommendation:
Now before you start, make sure you have a nice 9×13 casserole dish. You can always make it in a smaller pan and freeze the other half.
Or if you want to make clean up a breeze try using disposable pans. They are great because you just throw them away when you are done. We use them often so help out on those crazy busy nights.
Ingredients for Easy Tator Tot Casserole:
- Lean Ground Beef
- Diced Onions
- Minced Garlic – You can also Garlic Powder.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – You can also use Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Frozen Tater Tots
How to make Cowboy Casserole:
- Prepare the Oven – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown the Beef – In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion over medium high heat until the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain – Drain off any excess grease.
- Add Garlic – Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Mix in other Ingredients – Then stir in the corn, soup, ½ cup of the shredded cheese, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour into Pan – Then pour this beef mixture into the bottom of 9X13 baking pan.
- Top with Tator Tots – Top the beef mixture with the tater tots. Make sure to keep the tater tots in a single layer on top.
- Bake – Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the tater tots are cooked through.
- Top with Cheese – Then top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or to cheese melts.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Variation Ideas:
- Add in Different Vegetables – Add in frozen vegetables such as peas or carrots. Place the vegetables on the beef mixture prior to adding the cheese.
- Change the Meats – You can use ground turkey or do a mixture of beef and turkey.
- Use Different Seasoning – Add in taco seasoning with some canned beans and jalapeno’s for taco tator to casserole.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce – We like to add in Worcestershire Sauce as it adds in a lot of flavor to the meat.
What to serve with Cowboy Casserole?
Cowboy casserole is usually doesn’t include a vegetable so I will usually plan on serving one with this casserole dish.
- Big Green Salad always pairs well with this casserole.
- A side of steam broccoli is one of my family favorites
- Warm rolls is perfect addition to this casserole.
How to Store:
Store the leftover in an air tight containers in the refrigerator. This casserole will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Make sure to store promptly in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t set it out longer than 2 hours at room temperature.
We like to store in individual containers for a great lunch the next day.
How to Freeze:
This cowboy casserole can be frozen. Before casserole can be frozen, make sure that it has cooled completely. Wrap casserole tightly or place in a freezer safe container. If store properly, the casserole will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to serve, thaw casserole the refrigerator overnight.
Can you make Cowboy Casserole ahead of time?
If you plan on making cowboy casserole ahead of time, place in the slow cooker. There is nothing better than coming home to dinner done. You will layer the ingredients in the crock pot instead of the baking dish.
Cook in the crock pot on low for about 5 hours. During this time, try not to lift the lid on the crock pot. This keeps the tator tots from getting soggy.
Cowboy Casserole is a crowd pleaser!
Cowboy casserole is a great meal when you have family over. Everyone loves it and this casserole is hearty and filling. Since the ingredients are simple, I usually have everything on hand to feed unexpected guest.
Double the recipe and make one for a friend that is having surgery.
Print recipe here for Cowboy Casserole:
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 small Onion diced into small pieces
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup 10.75 oz
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 bag frozen Tater Tots 32 oz bag
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion over medium high heat until the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Then stir in the corn, soup, ½ cup of the shredded cheese, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Then pour this beef mixture into the bottom of 9X13 baking pan.
- Top the beef mixture with the tater tots. Make sure to keep the tater tots in a single layer on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tater tots are cooked through.
- Then top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Tator Tot Casserole Recipes:
- Crock Pot Tator Tot Casserole Recipe
- Beef Enchilada Tator Tot Casserole Recipe
- Cheeseburger Tator Tot Casserole Recipe