This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Totchos recipe is a family favorite appetizer. Crispy tater tots are topped with beef, cheese, and more. Make this easy appetizer for next family gathering.
Easy Totchos Recipe:
This totchos recipe is one of my favorite appetizers to make. The ground beef, cheese, and beans added to the tots make it the ultimate appetizer.
These tater tot nachos are always a crowd favorite. I love to make it when my kids have friends over. They think it is the best thing and always request it.
The tots cook crispy giving this party food the best flavor and texture. The next time you need a delicious appetizer, make totchos.
What are Totchos?
Totchos are nachos with tator tots instead of tortilla chips or corn chips. It is the ultimate party food or a weeknight dinner idea. Add your favorite toppings and you are in for a real treat.
- Frozen Tator Tots (28 ounce bag)
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Ground Beef
- Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Tomato (diced)
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapeños
How to Make Totachos:
- Step 1 – Bake Tator Tots – Toss the frozen tator tots with half of the taco seasoning. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake them based on the package instructions.
- Step 2 – Cook Ground Beef – While the tator tots are baking, heat in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the ground beef.
- Step 3 – Season the beef – Season it with the remaining taco seasoning and brown the ground beef. Breaking it up as it cooks.
- Step 4 – Remove Tator Tots – Once the tator tots are done cooking, remove them from the oven.
- Step 5 – Top with Ground Beef – Then top with the ground beef.
- Step 6 – Top with beans, corn and cheese – Sprinkle the black beans, corn and half of the shredded cheese on top.
- Step 7 – Bake – Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Step 8 – Add toppings – Remove from the oven, top with the remaining shredded cheese, tomatoes and any other toppings you prefer.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
What is the difference between Nachos and Totchos?
The difference between nachos and totchos is how they are made. Totchos are made with tator tots and nachos are made with tortilla chips.
- Cook Tator Tots – We recommend cooking the tator tots until they are golden brown and crispy. Spread the tator tots in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Taco Seasoning – We like to make homemade taco seasoning to have on hand. But you can also use the store bought taco seasoning packet.
- Cheese – We recommend shredded your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients, that are not necessary for this recipe. Feel free to use different cheese, cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese would be delicious.
- Ground Beef – After cooking the beef over medium heat then drain excess grease.
- Preparing baking sheet – Make sure to line the baking sheet with foil before cooking the tator tots. This allows for an easy cleanup.
- Broil – For a cheesy topping, broil the nachos a few minutes longer to get the cheese melted.
Tator Tot Nachos Variation Ideas:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. Instead of using taco seasoning blend, add in chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Tator Tots – Instead of using frozen tater tots you can use frozen potatoes to make these nachos.
- Change Meat – Feel free to change the meat to ground turkey. You can also use shredded chicken or do half ground turkey and ground beef.
- Cheese – We like to use different types of cheeses when we make this recipe. You can use Monterrey Jack Cheese or cheddar cheese to top the loaded tater tot nachos.
- Air Fryer – To get the tator tots extra crispy, you can easily cook them in the air fryer. This is a quick and easy way to pre-cook the tots.
What to Serve with Totchos:
There are many different sides that can be served with this nachos recipe. You can easily serve as a weeknight dinner or as a crowd pleasing appetizer.
Make this nachos recipe when you grill out burgers, chicken wings, or tacos.
Totchos Topping Ideas:
You can easily top these Totchos with any of your favorite toppings. Feel Free to top the tator tots with whatever you love.
- Pico de gallo
- Black Olives
- Slice Jalapenos
- Hot Sauce
- Red Onion
- Chopped Onion
- Fresh Cilantro
- Buffalo Chicken
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Queso Sauce
- Chopped Green Onions
How to Store Leftovers:
This nachos recipe are best served fresh. But you can refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat by baking them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until heated through.
Easy Game Day Appetizer:
If you are looking for a tasty game day appetizer, make these Totchos. Serve them hot and you can easily add your favorite toppings.
Print Recipe for Totchos:
- 1 bag Frozen Tator Tots 28 ounce bag
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 8 ounces Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- ¼ cup Corn
- ½ cup Tomato diced
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Toss the frozen tator tots with half of the taco seasoning. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake them based on the package instructions.
- While the tator tots are baking, heat in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the ground beef.
- Season it with the remaining taco seasoning and brown the ground beef. Breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the tator tots are done cooking, remove them from the oven and top with the ground beef.
- Sprinkle the black beans, corn and half of the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, top with the remaining shredded cheese, tomatoes and any other toppings you prefer.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe