This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chocolate Icebox Cake Recipe is an easy no-bake dessert for any occasion. It has simple ingredients and a easy process. It is every chocolate lovers dream dessert!
Double Chocolate Icebox Cake Recipe:
We love making icebox cakes. There is no baking involved, so it is an easy to make for any celebration or just because. From the rich chocolate chip topping to the graham cracker crust, it is sure to be a hit.
There are many ways you can make an icebox cake, but we love chocolate anything so I knew I had try it. This icebox cake is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
It is great for potlucks or the next time you have friends over. No need to heat the oven up when you can make this easy chocolate dessert that everyone will love.
Why is it called Icebox Cake?
Back in the day, a refrigerator used to be called an icebox. Therefore it was marketed with the icebox cakes as an easy dessert idea.
The idea of an icebox cake is layering of a cookie and cream base. The options are endless as to what can be added but as long as you have this base, you can easily put together an icebox cake.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Cool Whip
Ganache Topping Ingredients:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Mini Chocolate Chips
How to make Chocolate Icebox Cake:
- Beat Ingredients – Beat together the cream cheese, ½ cup of powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy with electric mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add in Cool Whip – Gently fold in the cool whip.
- Graham Cracker Crust – Place a single layer the chocolate graham crackers in a single layer in the bottom of an 8X8 or 9X9 pan.
- Add Cream Cheese Mix – Then top with ⅓ of the cream cheese mixture spreading it evenly over the top.
- Repeat Layers – Continue layering the pudding mix 2 more times.
- Make the Topping – Then to make the chocolate ganache topping: Place the topping ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals (stirring between each interval) until the chips are melted and well combined.
- Add Topping to Cake – Pour the ganache topping evenly over the cake.
- Place in Refrigerator – Refrigerate for 4-5 hours (refrigerate overnight is preferred) until the graham crackers have softened.
- Server and Enjoy – Top with the mini chocolate chips if preferred.
Tips and Variations:
- Variation for the Crust – You can use the regular graham crackers, vanilla wafers or even chocolate chip cookies.
- Toppings – You can top your cake with nuts, crushed up candy bars or my favorite chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate – The key to make sure all your ingredients combine together is to allow you icebox cake to rest for about 4 hours.
- Drizzle with Sauces – This cake would be amazing drizzled with some chocolate syrup or caramel syrup.
How long do Icebox Cake last?
The cake will last about 3 days in the refrigerator. It is always better the next day when all the ingredients had softened. But after the 3 day mark, the ingredients can get soggy and the texture isn’t good.
Make sure to place any leftovers in the refrigerator covered with a plastic wrap.
Can you freeze Icebox Cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake. Before freezing, make sure you let the cake refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Then cover the cake with plastic wrap and then again with foil.
We wait to add the topping when we are ready to serve. It will last in the freezer for about 1 month. You can serve it frozen, or let it thaw in the refrigerator.
This is a great cake to make ahead for your celebration.
Easy No-Bake Dessert:
You will love this easy chocolate dessert. It is a great dessert for your summer BBQ’s but can be made all year long. We love how easy the ingredients are and this is one of those desserts that my kids love making.
We love changing the ingredients to what we have on hand. This is also a great dessert to give to someone that just needs a chocolate fix. Make it today and let us know what variations you did.
Print Recipe here for Chocolate Icebox Cake:
Chocolate Icebox Cake
- Beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the cool whip.
- Place a single layer the chocolate graham crackers in a single layer in the bottom of an 8X8 or 9X9 pan.
- Then top with ⅓ of the cream cheese mixture spreading it evenly over the top.
- Continue layering 2 more times.
- Then to make the ganache topping: Place the topping ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals (stirring between each interval) until the chips are melted and well combined.
- Pour the ganache topping evenly over the cake.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours (overnight is preferred) until the graham crackers have softened.
- Top with the mini chocolate chips if preferred. Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe