This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
4th of July Icebox Cake is the perfect no bake treat with delicious layers of cream cheese, fruit and more. The red, white and blue dessert is festive and easy to make.
4th of July Icebox Cake:
Delicious layers of strawberries and blueberries with cream cheese and graham crackers combine for one of our favorite desserts. This often makes an appearance at our annual Memorial Day cookout and 4th of July celebration. Check out The Best Memorial Day Food Ideas. Everyone always asks about it and looks forward to it year after year.
It is perfect for hot Summer days when you want something sweet but not too heavy. The whipped cream and cream cheese make this dish so creamy and one bite is never enough.
Icebox cake is super easy to make and not expensive at all. Anyone can make this and my kids love to help decorate the top in a fun pattern. Make this a tradition like it is in our family. Everyone will really love it.
What is an Icebox Cake?
Icebox cake is a simple no bake dessert. Normally only has a few ingredients such as cream cheese or cool whip, fresh berries and graham crackers or cookies. They are so simple to make and just require the fridge or “icebox” to set it.
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Graham Crackers
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Strawberries
How to Make 4th of July Icebox Cake:
- Step 1 – Combine cream cheese and sugars – First, get out a large mixing bowl. Mix the cream cheese and sugar together. Cream this until smooth.
- Step 2 – Add cream and vanilla – Second, add the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat this mixture until it thickens and forms peaks. Set this aside for later.
- Step 3 – Add Graham Crackers – You will need a 9×13 pan. Line graham crackers on the bottom of the pan in a single layer.
- Step 4 – Top with cream cheese – Now add part of the cream cheese mixture all over the graham crackers. Be careful spreading and make sure to do so gently. You can use a spatula or back of a spoon to help spread it out.
- Step 5 – Top with Berries – Once the mixture is spread out, add a portion of the blueberries and strawberries.
- Step 6 – Final layer of graham crackers – Keep repeating the layers two more times.
- Step 7 – Top with more berries – Finally, on the top layer, add strawberries and blueberries all over. You can sprinkle them or make a pattern on top. Just make it your own! Let the kids help decorate and see what fun ideas they come up with.
- Step 8 – Rest Cake – Put the cake in the fridge covered in plastic wrap. Let it set for a couple of hours. Normally, 2 to 4 hours will do the trick. You just want the layers to settle into each other for the best flavor.
Patriotic Dessert Variations:
- Cream Layer – You can easily change the cream layer to a instant pudding mixture. Mix vanilla pudding mix as directed on the package with beaters for a delicious layer.
- Cookies – You can layer the cake with vanilla wafers instead of graham crackers.
Tips for Berry Icebox Cake:
- Pan Size – Make sure you have a nice 9×13 pan. If you are taking this to a potluck or cookout. The disposable pans are so handy because you can just toss it.
- Rest Overnight – While 2-4 hours in the fridge is sufficient, I prefer to make this cake the night before. I think the extra time really allows all the flavors to come together.
- Mixing Ingredients – You can use a hand mixer. But I prefer my stand mixer to cream the sugar and cream cheese together. Mix until stiff peaks form in a large bowl.
How to Store Red White and Blue Icebox Cake:
This Fourth of July cake needs to be kept in the fridge covered with plastic wrap. It will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days.
Can I Make 4th of July Ice Box Cake ahead of time?
We prefer to make this dessert the night before serving. This allows for the graham crackers to softened and everything sets perfectly together. You can let cake rest for 2-4 hours or overnight.
Print recipe for Blueberry Strawberry Icebox Cake:
4th of July Icebox cake
- In a large bowl cream the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and beat until mixture begins to thicken and forms soft peaks. Set aside.
- On the bottom of a 9×13 pan, place a single layer of graham crackers.
- Next, place one-third of the cream cheese mixture over the graham crackers spreading gently.
- Top this layer with ½ cup blueberries, and one cup thin sliced strawberries. Repeat this layering process twice more.
- For the top berry layer place the strawberries and blueberries sprinkled throughout (or however you want to decorate the top)
- Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours before serving so that the layers can “settle” into each other.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Icebox Cakes
More 4th of July Desserts:
- 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
- Red white and blue crinkle cake mix cookies
- 4th of July Candy Charcuterie Board
- Red White and Blue Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Easy Bomb Brownie Bites