This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Memorial Day and 4th of July is just around the corner. You will definitely impress your family with this delicious American Flag Cookie Cake. Not only does it look so festive but it tastes amazing.
American Flag Cookie Cake Recipe:
This gorgeous American Flag cake is actually so simple to make. It decorates in no time and is a blast to eat. Get the kids involved on this one because they can make this with you.
I like to make and bake the cookie cake but the kids get to decorate it. This is the perfect 4th of July dessert for them to decorate. There are many fun ways to make this cake. You can even start with a sugar cookie base.
Impress your family and friends this holiday season with this fun and festive cookie cake. We love making red white and blue home recipes desserts and this one is always on the list.
Equipment you need:
All you really need is a 9×13 cake pan. I love my Wilton 9×13 cake pan. It is sturdy, has straight sides, and it isn’t very expensive at all.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake:
- Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
Ingredients to Decorate:
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (or a tub of store bought frosting)
- Red White and Blue M&M’s. You will find them at your local store around 4th of July.
How to Make American Flag Cookie Cake:
- Step 1 – Mix Wet Ingredients – In medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. I like to beat with paddle attachment in a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Step 2 – Add in flour mixture – Slowly add flour, salt, and baking soda, beating until well blended.
- Step 3 – Mix in Chocolate Chips – Stir in chocolate chips by hand to cookie mix.
- Step 4 – Spread in Pan – Spread in greased 9×13 baking sheet or line with parchment paper. I love my Wilton 9×13 cake pan. Personally, I like to cover in foil and then grease the foil. It makes removing the cookie cake much easier.
- Step 5 – Bake Cookie – Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes under golden brown in the oven. Cool cookie in pan on a cooling rack and then remove and place on serving platter.
How to Decorate American Flag Cookie Cake:
- Step 1 Spread Icing – Once the cookie cake is cooled completely. Spread icing all over the cookie cake for a thin even layer.
- Step 2 – Separate M&M’s – Separate your red white and blue m&ms. Get the kids involved on this.
- Step 3 – Add Blue M&M’s – Add your rectangle of blue M&Ms on the upper left corner of the cake. My rectangle is 8 M&Ms long and 6 M&Ms tall.
- Step 4 – Add Red M&M’s – Then begin your stripes. I did 2 rows of red, then 2 rows of white, then 2 rows of red, etc… You should end of up with 4 red stripes and 3 white stripes.
- Step 5 – Finish Decorating – Get the kids involved to make this. They love this part and it is a fun to get everyone involved. All of the red white and blue looks amazing.
Recipe Tips for Cookie Cake American Flag:
- Room Temperature Ingredients – We recommend starting with room temperature ingredients. This creates a smooth and creamy texture with everything is mixed together.
- Mixing Ingredients – We recommend using a stand mixer or a hand mixer to combine ingredients.
- Prepare Baking Pan – Make sure to spray the sheet pan with cooking spray. You can also line with foil or parchment paper. This helps for easy clean up.
- Slice Cookies – When American Flag Cookie is ready to slice, use a sharp knife to cut.
- Baking Cookie – The cookie base will cook in about 30 minutes. Make sure to watch closely to cookie doesn’t burn.
- Frosting Cookie – Make sure that the cookie has cooled before adding the frosting and decorating. My kids love to decorate this American Flag Cookie.
Cookie Flag Cake Variations:
- Sugar Cookie Base – For a fun twist on this recipe, you can easily change the cookie to sugar cookie dough. American Flag Sugar Cookie Cake is delicious topped with a cream cheese frosting. Top with frosting and fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
- Change the Frosting – Feel free to make homemade icing or you can use store bought frosting.
- Change Candy – We like using M&M’s, but you can use different types of candy or fruit.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store cookie cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve. We recommend covering with plastic wrap while storing. This cookie cake will stay fresh up to 3 to 4 days.
This is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time.
Print Festive American Flag Cookie Cake Recipe:
American Flag Cookie Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Ingredients you need to decorate:
- 1 batch of Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (or a tub of store bought frosting)
- 1 bag of red white and blue m&ms. You will find them at your local store around 4th of July or on Amazon year round.
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Slowly add flour, salt, and baking soda, beating until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spread in greased 9×13 cake pan. I love my Wilton 9×13 cake pan. Personally, I like to cover in foil and then grease the foil. It makes removing the cookie cake much easier.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Cool cookie in pan on a cooling rack and then remove and place on serving platter.
- Once the cookie cake is cooled completely, spread icing all over the cookie cake for a thin layer.
- Seperate your red white and blue m&ms. Get the kids involved on this.
- Add your rectangle of blue m&ms on the cake. My rectangle is 8 m&ms long and 6 m&ms tall.
- Then begin your stripes. I did 2 rows of red, then 2 rows of white, then 2 rows of red, etc… You should end of up with 4 red stripes and 3 white stripes.
- That is how easy it is! Get the kids involved to make this!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More 4th of July desserts:
- Red white and blue crinkle cake mix cookies
- American Flag Charcuterie Board
- Red White and Blue Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Easy Bomb Brownie Bites
- The Best Red White and Blue Cake to Impress!
- 4th of July Chocolate Covered Oreos
- How to make Red, White, and Blue Jello
- 4th of July rice Krispie Treats
- 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
- Red, white and blue jello