This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Christmas Potpourri Stove Top Recipe is perfect the way to make your home smell like the holiday season. We even love to give as a homemade gift.
Easy Stove Top Christmas Potpourri:
This holiday potpourri is always on my stove top during the holiday season. It is made with fresh ingredients and is easy to make.
It makes our home smell just like Christmas and we have even packaged it to give as a homemade gift. You might also like our Slow Cooker Christmas Potpourri.
The whole spices and fresh fruit simmers easily in a large pot for an amazing Christmas stovetop potpourri recipe. This is a great way to start the holiday season and your whole house will smell amazing.
Even if you leave the pot full of the potpourri without heat, it will still smell amazing. Make this potpourri for a blend of citrus smells and spices for a cozy, comforting smell for your home.
Why We Love Christmas Potpourri:
- Simple Ingredients – This potpourri is made with simple fresh ingredients. They can easily be changed to what you prefer for a budget friendly potpourri.
- Smells like Christmas – There is nothing better that the fresh scent of Christmas. The warm spices, citrus flavors, and more makes this potpourri to enjoy all December long.
- Christmas Gift – Make this Christmas Potpourri for an easy holiday gift. It is easy to package up and tie a holiday ribbon for the perfect gift for neighbors, friends and family.
- Fresh Cranberries
- Large Orange Slices
- Whole Cloves
- Sprigs Rosemary
- Cinnamon Sticks
How to Make Christmas Potpourri on the Stove Top:
- Step 1 – Add Ingredients – Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan.
- Step 2 – Simmer on the stove – Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat.
- Step 3 – Enjoy the Scents – Let the mixture simmer uncovered so that the aroma fills the house.
- Step 4 – Add more water if needed – Add additional water if needed as the water evaporates in the saucepan.
Christmas Stove Top Potpourri Recipe Tips:
- Heat Mixture – Heat this mixture until the potpourri is no longer fragrant. It will usually last up to 6-8 hours.
- Prepare Fruit – Prepare the citrus fruit that you are adding in. We recommend to slice the fruit for the best smell.
- Simmering Mixture – Simmer the mixture uncovered all day long. We have even turned off the heat and just left the pot on the stove. It continue to filled our home with warm scent.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Change the Fruit – If you prefer or have some old fruit that needs to be used. Toss in slice tangerines, grapefruit, lemons or any type of citrus fruit. Diced apples or Cuties is also a great addition or substitute.
- Add in Fresh Herbs – The fresh rosemary is a great addition. But you can also add in fresh pine, vanilla beans, a bay leaf, fresh ginger or ground spices. I have even added in vanilla extract to the stovetop Christmas Potpourri.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Another ground spice that I like to use on occasion, is a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. It is delicious and just adds that hint of fall flavor to this potpourri.
- Simmer Pot – I like to have a simmer pot that I use only for this recipe. This ensures that the food that I cook doesn’t taste like this Christmas potpourri.
Can I Prepare Christmas Potpourri ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare ahead of time. Prepare the potpourri and place in the fridge and it will stay fresh for up to 4 days. As long as your prepare it with fresh ingredients the Christmas potpourri is perfect to prepare ahead of time.
Holiday Gift Idea:
If you are looking for the perfect homemade holiday gift idea, make this Christmas Potpourri. It perfect to place in a cellophane bag or a mason jar.
There are lots of free printable gift tag that you can easily download to add to the ribbon. Give instructions on how to simmer on the stovetop for an easy potpourri recipe.
When preparing as gifts, do not slice the fruit. Leave as whole and place in the bag. This keeps the fruit fresh and doesn’t add moisture to the ingredients.
This is the perfect gift for neighbors, friends, and kids teachers.
How to Store Christmas Potpourri:
You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time but once you cook them, you can store in the fridge overnight. You may need to just add water to reuse the potpourri.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Stovetop potpourri can be simmered for hours. The mixture can be used for up to 2 days, just make sure to add more water as needed.
We do not recommend drinking Christmas Potpourri. Even though the ingredients are edible, it does not taste as good as it smells.
We leave it set on our stove top for days and just continue to add water. You can place in the fridge to add a few more days. I usually enjoy one batch for about a week.
Yes, this Christmas Potpourri works great in the slow cooker. I have a small crockpot that I use just for this potpourri. I toss all the ingredients and the slow cooker does all the work.
If you leave the lid off, make sure to check on the water level. You may need to add more.
Print Recipe for Christmas Potpourri Stove Top:
Christmas Potpourri Stove Top
- 1 Large stock pot
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 1 Large Orange sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Cloves
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 cups Water
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat.
- Let the mixture simmer uncovered so that the aroma fills the house.
- Add additional water if needed as the water evaporates in the saucepan.