This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Christmas Hot Chocolate is perfect to serve on Christmas morning. Top with crushed peppermint candies for a delicious and creamy drink.
Christmas Hot Chocolate Recipe:
This creamy hot chocolate drink is our favorite winter drink. We serve this on Christmas morning but it is also perfect to warm up to during the colder months. Add your favorite toppings for a delicious drink idea.
We have even made Christmas hot chocolate bombs for a fun and festive treat. There are many ways to serve this delicious drink and you can even make Crock Pot Hot Chocolate.
Make sure to double to recipe when serving your family and friends. We have even made a hot chocolate bar with all our favorite toppings. This made from scratch hot chocolate is always a family favorite.
These Grinch Cinnamon Rolls are perfect served with this hot chocolate.
Also check out this Homemade Apple Cider Recipe.
Why we Love Christmas Hot Chocolate:
- Easy Ingredients – The ingredients in this recipe are easy pantry ingredients. You will love that you can customize the ingredients since you are making from scratch. Skip the store bought packets and make your hot chocolate at home.
- Amazing Taste – You will love how rich, creamy and delicious this hot chocolate mix is.
- Easy to Make – All the ingredients cook easily in one pot and served in your favorite holiday glasses. Add your favorite toppings for a rich and decadent treat.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Whipped Cream (for serving)
- Christmas Sprinkles (for serving)
How to Make Christmas Hot Chocolate:
- Step 1 – Combine Ingredients – Whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, ground cinnamon and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil.
- Step 2 – Add in Milk – Then slowly whisk in the milk and cook until just heated through.
- Step 3 – Remove from Heat – Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Step 4 – Pour into Mugs – Pour into serving mugs.
- Step 5 – Add Toppings – Top with the whipped cream and sprinkles.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm and enjoy.
How to Setup a Hot Chocolate Bar:
If you are hosting Christmas this year, make a Hot Chocolate Bar. They are easy to setup and everyone likes making their own drink. Here are some of our favorite toppings.
- Whipped Cream
- Shaved Chocolate
- Crushed Peppermint Candies
- Chocolate Syrup or Caramel Syrup
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
- Red Hot Candies
Substitutions and Variations:
- Milk – When we make this recipe we like to use whole milk. But you can use other types of milk to meet your dietary restrictions.
- Slow Cooker – Make this hot chocolate recipe in your slow cooker. Allow to heat for about 2 hours and you can easily keep warm while in the crockpot. This is a great idea if setting up a hot chocolate bar.
- Espresso Powder – If you need some caffeine in your hot chocolate add in a teaspoon or two of espresso powder.
- Spice – If you like your hot chocolate to have a little kick, add in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Extract – We love adding in a teaspoon of peppermint extract for added flavor.
- Hot Cocoa Mix – Instead of making this recipe from scratch, use a hot cocoa mix.
- Adult Hot Chocolate – If you are hosting an adult Christmas party, make a boozy hot chocolate. Add in some peppermint schnapps for delicious adult drink.
- Rich and Creamy – To make a creamy hot chocolate you can substitute one cup of the milk with heavy cream. This will result in a creamy hot chocolate that is loaded with flavor. Sweetened condensed milk can also be added.
- White Hot Chocolate – You can make this recipe white hot chocolate. Instead of using cocoa powder you can mix in white chocolate chips. Dark chocolate can also be used.
How to Serve Christmas Hot Chocolate:
There are many ways we like to serve Christmas Hot Chocolate. It all depends on who you are serving and when you are serving it. These are some fun and festive ideas that you can try.
- Adult Hot Chocolate – If you are having a adult Christmas party. Give an option to add in some Bailey’s to the drink.
- Hot Cocoa Bar – One of my favorite things to do for our Christmas dinner is to setup a hot chocolate bar. We like to have bowls of different types of toppings such as chocolate candy, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles.
- Classic Hot Chocolate – This basic hot chocolate is delicious just the way it is made. We love to top with whipped cream and sprinkles. You can even add in mini marshmallows for added flavor.
- Add in Extra Flavor – Feel free to add in Peppermint extract or a teaspoon of pumpkin spice or nutmeg. You can even add in tablespoon of sweetener if you prefer it to be sweeter.
- Gift Idea – This hot chocolate mix would be perfect to place in jars for a delicious gift idea. Place the powder ingredients in a small bag. Then include in the gift the recipe card with some fun holiday jars. Perfect idea for teachers, neighbors and friends.
- Candy Canes – Serve this hot chocolate with a candy cane to mix all the ingredients together. It also adds flavor to the hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate Christmas Recipe Tips:
- Cooking Hot Chocolate – When you are combining ingredients, allow the mixture to simmer on medium heat. You do not want the mixture to boil.
- Adding Extract – If you are adding in vanilla extract or peppermint extract, add in after combining ingredients.
- Christmas Mugs – Before pouring the hot chocolate into the mugs, you can place sea salt around the rim. The chocolate and sea salt is the perfect combination. We also like adding in chocolate syrup around the edges for added chocolate flavor.
- Microwave – We heated the hot chocolate on the stove top but you can also heat in the microwave. If heating in the microwave make sure there is no hot spots. You can also heat the mixture in a slow cooker.
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have leftovers allow it to cool to room temperature. Then place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. This hot cocoa recipe is a great mixture to enjoy all holiday season.
Print Recipe for Christmas Hot Chocolate:
Christmas Hot Chocolate
- Whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, ground cinnamon and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil.
- Then slowly whisk in the milk and cook until just heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into serving mugs.
- Top with the whipped cream and sprinkles.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe