This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Hot Chocolate Recipe is rich and creamy with just 5 ingredients. Serve this decadent drink for parties, Christmas and more!
Hot chocolate is the perfect drink once the weather turns cool. I love making it in the crock pot for parties because it is just so easy. The hot chocolate stays warm and I can make it in advance. That means more time to enjoy my family and friends!
You can’t go wrong with hot chocolate. It is the best drink recipe when we want something warm to drink. We also have this delicious and easy recipe for Crock pot white hot chocolate and Christmas Hot Chocolate. They are both rich, creamy and easy to make.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works:
There is nothing better than a warm drink when you come in from playing in the snow. Making it in the slow cooker with simple ingredients allows it to stay warm, creamy texture and amazing flavor.
- Whole Milk or Milk of your choice
- Half and Half or Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Milk Chocolate Bars
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Chopped Chocolate – We love using chocolate bars, but you can also stir in milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips. This chocolate flavor hot chocolate is even better with added chocolate. You can also use a mixture of chocolate chips for added flavor.
- Adult Beverage – If you are looking for a drink for you Adult Christmas party, make these hot chocolate with kahlua added. We have even added in peppermint schnapps for added flavor.
- Hot Cocoa Mix – Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix with simple ingredients such as unsweetened cocoa powder. But you can also make this recipe with store bought hot cocoa packets.
- Peppermint Extract – If you love peppermint flavor drink, stir in peppermint extract instead of vanilla extract.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Sweetened Condensed Milk can be added for a creamy hot chocolate texture.
- Adjust Ingredients – The ingredients in this recipe can be adjusted to what you prefer. If you prefer to use less cream and more milk, that works in this recipe.
- Coffee – This hot chocolate is even delicious with a shot of espresso or coffee for a delicious mocha flavored drink.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – In a large slow cooker combine 6 cups of milk, heavy cream and vanilla.
Step 2 – Next, add add hot chocolate mix. Break chocolate bars into pieces and add on top of mix. This really makes the hot chocolate so rich and creamy.
Step 3 – Whisk until well combined. Cover and set to low for 2 hours or until warm, stir occasionally.
Step 4 – Serve immediately and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Combining Ingredients – There is no need to combine the ingredients in a separate bowl. Add everything to the slow cooker and whisk until everything is blended.
- Adding Chocolate – If using chocolate bars, break the chocolate bar up into pieces. As it melts it provides a smooth and creamy texture to your hot chocolate.
- Heating in the Slow Cooker – This is the perfect recipe to make ahead of time before you party. It needs about 2 hours to heat before it is ready to serve.
A hot chocolate bar is the perfect addition to any family gathering or holiday party. I love to have different toppings so everyone can add their favorite toppings in their favorite mug.
We love to add homemade caramel sauce, chocolate syrup and homemade whipped cream for the perfect hot drink to sip by the fire. Other favorite toppings is sprinkles, candy canes, peppermint sticks or crushed peppermint candies.
We also have different flavors of mini marshmallows and regular size marshmallows to add to the top. Chocolate Chips is another must. I like to use mini milk chocolate and white chocolate. Dark chocolate is also tasty.
How To Make Stovetop:
This recipe can also be made in the saucepan. This is a great option if you are making a smaller portion. Heat the saucepan over medium heat until heated thorough. Make sure to continue to stir for best results.
Frequently Asked Questions:
We prefer to make crockpot hot chocolate with milk. It makes it full of chocolate flavor with a creamy texture. Water is fine but milk just makes that much better.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or pitcher in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Yes, this is the perfect recipe to double, especially if you are feeding a crowd. That is why I like using a slow cooker so I can have plenty of cooking space to make a large serving.
Reheat the leftover in a microwave safe mug in the microwave. Heat for about 30 seconds or until heated thoroughly. Add your favorite toppings and it will taste like you just made it.
More Easy Hot Chocolate Recipes:
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Iced Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 20 Amazing Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Hot Chocolate Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- Crock Pot White Hot Chocolate
More Easy Drink Recipes:
- Cotton Candy Drink
- The World’s Best Party Punch
- Copy Cat Chick-Fil-A Lemonade Recipe
- Kid Friendly Cotton Candy Drink Recipe
- Easy Grinch Punch Recipe
- Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make the best hot chocolate recipes, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups whole milk or milk of your choice
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cup hot chocolate mix
- 2 milk chocolate bars
- Marshmallows whipped cream, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, peppermint pieces, etc
- In a large slow cooker combine milk, heavy cream and vanilla
- Add hot chocolate mix
- Break chocolate bars into pieces and add on top of mix
- Whisk until well combined
- Cover and set to low for 2 hours or until warm, stir occasionally
- Serve immediately and garnish with your favorite toppings
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe