My kids love hot chocolate. In the Fall and Winter time, I can barely keep enough in stock as they drink it constantly. In an effort to save money, I created this Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix. Now I love it more than the store bought ones.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
We love making homemade cocoa mixes as they taste better and can control the ingredients. We have made Homemade Nesquick recipe which is easy to add some powdered milk to make this easy Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe.
Hot Chocolate is one of our favorites We make Starbucks Hot Chocolate Recipe and Crock Pot Hot Chocolate when the weather stars to get colder. They are so delicious and saves me money making them at home.
We also love making this Slow Cooker White Hot Chocolate as it is so flavorful and easy to make in the slow cooker. It is perfect for when we have friends over and we are hanging by the fire.
Make sure you check out 20 of our favorite Hot Chocolate Recipes. The weather is going to start getting colder and these recipes are sure to keep you warm. We love hot cocoa.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix is Budget Friendly:
This is WAY cheaper than the boxed variety (and tastes better). A typical 10-count box of cocoa will coast you about $1 (if you get it on sale).
You can make this homemade hot chocolate mix for under $1 and it will give you over 20 servings! Plus, there is something to be said about knowing ALL of the ingredients in your cocoa.
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Milk
How to Make Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix:
- Step 1 – Combine ingredients in a mason jar. Shake until everything is well combined. You can also mix ingredients in a large bowl and then pour into the mason jar.
- Step 2 – To make hot chocolate, add 1-2 tablespoons of homemade hot chocolate mix to hot water. Stir and enjoy.
How long will Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix last?
I like to store my hot cocoa mix in a cute designated container. This hot cocoa mix recipe will last up to 6 months. The first sign that it is getting colder, we start mixing up hot cocoa as I know the kids will be asking for it.
We also love giving this hot cocoa mix out as holiday gifts. Everyone loves getting it as I always include some cute holiday mugs and a Christmas movie. You can also include some baked goods. It is a cute but practical to give to give out to your neighbors and your kids teachers.
What to Serve with Hot Chocolate:
Hot chocolate is perfect to serve any time of the day. We have even done a hot chocolate bar when we have had friends over.
- Baked Cookies
- Slice of Pie
- Graham Crackers
What to Add to Hot Cocoa Mix:
- Pumpkin Spice
- Vanilla Extract or Almond Extract
What is Powdered Milk?
You do need dry milk powdered for this recipe so that your hot chocolate is creamy. All it takes is ½ cup Powdered milk it is essentially an evaporated milk product that is used in cooking and baking recipes.
By using dry milk, you no longer have to worry about your milk in your refrigerator going bad. It’s a great way to extend the self life of milk in your home.
I found this product in the baking aisle of my local grocery store for this best hot chocolate mix recipe.
Do you make Hot Chocolate with Milk or Water?
For a creamier hot chocolate we recommend using Whole Milk. But you can use low fat milk as well and you will still end up with a creamy cup of hot chocolate.
Substitutions for Homemade Hot Cocoa:
This recipe is very versatile. You can definitely use different ingredients if you prefer.
- I have used powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) instead of regular sugar when I was out. I did find that this made our hot cocoa a bit sweeter but we still enjoyed it.
- Also, if you cannot find dry milk in your local grocery store, using instant coffee creamer will work as well. I don’t think that it makes the hot chocolate as creamy but is a great option if you cannot locate powdered milk in your area.
- In addition, the salt in this recipe is optional. I find that it brings out the flavor in the cocoa powdered but is not needed if you are watching your salt intake.
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate:
- Step 1 – Begin heat water in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Step 2 – After you have created your homemade hot cocoa mix, all you have to do is mix 1-2 Tablespoons of the mix with a cup hot water. I add the amount of mix needed based on how chocolatey you want your cocoa.
- Step 3 – All you have to do is stir until the mix is thoroughly dissolved and then your hot chocolate is ready to be enjoyed.
Toppings for Hot Cocoa
Ok now that you have created a delicious and easy cup of hot cocoa, what would use to top it?
- My kids love topping theirs with mini marshmallows. We also have a pack of those on hand!
- Also, whipped cream is always a winner on hot cocoa!
- Also, you can top it with your favorite type of chocolate chips. I love using a mixture of white and milk chocolate chips.
- Some friends put red hot candies in their hot chocolate.
- Be sure to have some peppermint sticks or candy canes for stirring.
However you decide to enjoy it, you’ll love having this homemade chocolate mix in your pantry for your family to enjoy.
Print Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe Here:
Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 1/3 cup sugar (granulated or powdered)
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Combine ingredients in a mason jar. Shake until everything is well combined.
- To make hot chocolate, add 1-2 tablespoons of homemade hot chocolate mix to hot water. Stir and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More drink recipes to try:
- Kid Friendly Cotton Candy Drink Recipe
- Easy Grinch Punch Recipe
- Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino Recipe
- Iced Hot Chocolate Recipe