Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe is a family tradition around here. Everyone goes crazy over the powdered sugar, peanut butter and yummy candy mixture. Make this for your next holiday party, move night or just because.
Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
Our family loves Puppy Chow Chex or maybe you know it as Muddy Buddy Recipe. Whatever name you call it, it’s a huge hit.
These are so good! The kids ate them all in one afternoon! It’s the perfect treat for the kids or to take to the neighbors for Christmas.
The powdered sugar combined with the peanut butter is amazing! Throw in some Christmas M&M’s and this treat can’t is the best Holiday dessert.
This Christmas version is red and green and makes the mix look so festive! We use red candy melts and green candy melts to get this gorgeous Christmas look. Any brand will do, but I use Wiltons.
If you like this easy recipe, try these simple and cute Reindeer Cupcakes.
Start a tradition and make Santa’s reindeer chow recipe!
Let’s get started making Chex Mix Muddy Buddies!
This recipe makes a big batch so it’s perfect to hand out to friends, neighbors and more. Whether you call this puppy chow or muddy buddies, we can all agree this is best holiday treat.
These are so good that you will make these year after year!
Everyone loves Christmas puppy chow!
Ingredients for Christmas muddy buddies:
- Chex Cereal
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- red candy melts
- gallon ziplock bags
- Vegetable oil
- green candy melts
- Powdered sugar
- Christmas m&ms
How to make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe:
1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the 1 cup of red candy melts, ¼ cup of peanut butter and ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Microwave on high for 30 second. Stir and cook in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. My microwave took about 60 seconds to fully melt chocolate. You can also stir in ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
2. Meanwhile, pour 4 cups of chex cereal in a large mixing bowl.
3. Pour the melted peanut butter and candy mixture over the cereal and quickly stir to coat.
4. In a one gallon ziplock bag, pour the 1 cup powdered sugar. Then pour the coated cereal into the gallon bag.
Seal close and shake to coat the cereal.
5. Pour onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and allow to cool.
6. Repeat the entire process with the green candy melts.
7. Once the red and the green puppy chow are cooled, sprinkle the Christmas m&ms over the top and stir to combine the red and the green.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Puppy chow christmas candy recipe is so easy!
Regardless of the occasion, this puppy chow recipe christmas idea is the best! It is so tasty and delicious. The chocolate and peanut butter tastes amazing.
Holiday puppy chow variation ideas:
- Add M&M’s to the mix. You can use different colors for other holidays.
- Another fun idea to add is nuts.
- Sprinkles are also fun to add.
- Try different colors or try plain.
- Add chocolate chips peanut butter
- Try puppy chow without powdered sugar
Try these delicious puppy chow recipe variations!
This recipe is so easy to add and omit based on what you have or what occasion it is. It is so easy and delicious and the perfect holiday treat.
Give this Puppy Chow Chex Mix a try!
It is so easy to make and really delicious! Some call this Reindeer Chow and it is a must try. It is also an easy gluten free treat.
Enjoy Puppy chow chex mix recipes all year long!
We enjoy this delicious puppy chow recipe all year. From birthday parties to game day and more, this makes a quick and easy treat.
You can change the colors easily to match any holiday. Christmas puppy chow chex mix can easily be adapted or any day of the year.
The red and green look so festive at Christmas but you can easily change this and use Valentine’s m&m’s in February!
Print this easy Chex Mix Buddies Recipe below:
Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
- 8 cups chex cereal (divided equally)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (divided equally)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (divided equally)
- 1 cup red candy melts
- 1 cup green candy melts
- 2 cups powdered sugar (divided equally)
- 2 one gallon ziplock bags
- 1 1/2 cups christmas m&ms
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the 1 up of red candy melts, ¼ cup of peanut butte rand ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil. Microwave on high for 30 second. Stir and cook in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. (mine took about 60 seconds).
- Meanwhile, pour 4 cups of chex cereal in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted peanut butter and candy mixture over the cereal and quickly stir to coat.
- In a one gallon ziplock bag, pour the 1 cup powdered sugar. Then pour the coated cereal into the gallon bag. Seal close and shakre to coat the cereal.
- Pour onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- Repeat the entire process with the green candy melts.
- Once the red and the green puppy chow are cooled, sprinkle the Christmas m&ms over the top and stir to combine the red and the green.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Looks great but what could I use in instead of peanut butter? Too many allergic in family.
Where can i fine red or green candy melts?
Would you happen to know what the serving size is that the recipe is based on? (1/2 cup, 1 cup)
A serving size is roughly 3/4 cup of the mixture – Thank you!
Looks amazing! How far in advance can this be made?
This stays good in an air tight container for up to 1-2 weeks.
Love this recipe first time ever making this. My 4 yr old was trying to eat it while making it.
One of our favorite snacks! So yummy and easy!
Love puppy chow!! This was a great festive touch!
We have requests for this recipe every Christmas! So good!