This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Our family loves this quick and easy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe. It is perfect for the warmer months because you can enjoy your favorite chicken enchiladas without heating up the kitchen.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
I love enchiladas but they can be a lot of work to make. Now you can easily enjoy all the flavors of traditional chicken enchiladas without all the work. You will love this delicious and easy lazy day crock pot chicken enchiladas casserole recipe.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do. Slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole is easily a one pot casserole slow cooker recipe. Layers of tortilla’s chicken, cheese and simple seasoning makes this a crowd pleasing casserole.
This is the perfect meal to use leftover cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken. It is flavorful and easy to make. This would be perfect meal for the big game or when having friends over. Top with sour cream and your meal is complete.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
This one pot chicken enchilada casserole is one you will make week after week. Since it is so easy to make, it is on a weekly rotation. I like to prepare the chicken the night before to easily shred so I can add to this recipe.
Once I ready to make this casserole, I prepared the tortilla by cutting in triangles. This allows them to easily fit in the slow cooker. Then I begin layering the ingredients in the slow cooker and top with cheese.
This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight or to feed a crowd on the weekends. Everyone always loves it and I love it because you only need 6 ingredients.
You only need 6 ingredients to make this delicious and easy crockpot chicken. Simple enchilada ingredients to enjoy this delicious casserole recipe that has all the flavors of a traditional enchiladas.
- Cooked Chicken, shredded
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Corn Tortillas
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- Step 1 – First cook the chicken or use leftover chicken. I boiled the chicken until cooked through. Shred using a stand-up or hand mixer.
- Step 2 – Then slice the corn tortillas into quarters each using a large knife or pizza cutter. They will be in triangles. You can skip this step but it makes cutting into the casserole easier.
- Step 3 – Next in a large bowl, combine your chicken with the taco seasoning and rotel and mix well. Set aside.
- Step 4 – Spray the inside of your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 5 – Pour a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of your crock pot, then start your layering.
- Step 6 – Cover the bottom of the pan with tortillas (you don’t have to cover every single gap). Top the tortillas with the shredded chicken mixture. Pour enchilada sauce over the chicken.
- Step 7 – Top with shredded cheese.
- Step 8 – Continue layering tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
- Step 9 – You should have enough chicken for about 3 full layers. Finish the casserole off with a layer of tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Step 10 – Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or cook on high for 1-2 hours. Cook until the ingredients are heated through.
- Step 11 – Cut and serve with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, and cheese on top.
- Rotisserie Chicken – We have made this same casserole recipe but used a rotisserie chicken to save even more time.
- Add in Beans – You can add in white beans or black beans for added flavor or texture.
- Add Vegetables – Add in onions, bell peppers, or other vegetables inside the casserole to sneak in those veggies.
- Change the Meat – Try it with ground beef instead of chicken. You can even use ground turkey. Chicken thighs is also a good option.
- Add a Topping – Top it with crushed tortillas chips or tortillas strips for a crunch.
- Change the Sauce – Use red enchilada sauce instead of a green enchilada for a different flavor and variety.
- Tortilla – We used corn tortillas, but you can use flour tortillas if you prefer.
My family loves this recipe just the way it is but you can easily alter it to make it your own. Make sure you come back and let us know if you try any other variations by leaving a comment.
What to Serve with Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Recipe?
- Easy Spanish Rice – Keep your sides easy with this simple Spanish Rice recipe.
- Chipotle Cilantro Rice – Delicious and easy copycat cilantro rice.
- Refried Beans – Easily make this crock pot refried beans recipe.
Can I use Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, you can use a rotisserie chicken, or leftover shredded chicken. This is the perfect meal to use up leftover chicken. I like to prepare my meals for the week and make boil boneless skinless chicken breast on the weekends.
This allows me to use this shredded chicken in many different recipes.
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Hot Sauce
How to Store Leftovers:
Storing Chicken Enchilada Casserole leftovers is easy to do. It even makes a great lunch the next day. Simply, place the leftovers in an air tight container and place in the fridge.
The leftovers will stay fresh for up to 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
Print Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas Casserole recipe below:
Crock pot Chicken Enchilada casserole
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (Rotel – 10 oz can)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce (28 oz can)
- 16 ounces Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 16 corn tortillas (taco size)
- Boil chicken until cooked through. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Slice corn tortillas into quarters each using a large knife or pizza cutter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken with the taco seasoning and diced tomatoes with green chiles and mix well. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of your crock pot, then start layering the ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of the crock pot with tortillas (you don't have to cover every single gap). Top the tortillas with the shredded chicken mixture. Pour enchilada sauce over the chicken.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Continue layering tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
- You should have enough chicken for about 3 full layers. Top the casserole with a layer of tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Place the lid on the casserole and cook on low for 2-3 hours or on high for 1-2 hours.
- Cut and serve with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro and onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe