If you love comfort food, this Sausage Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is a must try. Dinner is so easy when you make this delicious recipe full of cheesy goodness, hearty meat and tangy tomatoes.
Mac and Cheese with Sausage Casserole Recipe:
We love spaghetti at our house! Though it is a staple, I wanted a dinner that was similar, but lighter to enjoy year round. Not only does this have a wonderful flavor that is light enough for even the warmer months of the year but it is very simple to make.
This stovetop one pot meal can be made with easy ingredients and simple process. Dinner can be on the table in less than 30 minutes and it is loaded with flavor.
It is heart and delicious and the perfect meal anytime of the week. Adding the ground sausage to the mac and cheese makes it a main dish. We like to add a side salad to complete the meal.
Easy Sausage Mac and Cheese Recipe:
If your family loves macaroni and cheese, take it up a level with this tasty macaroni casserole. This meal is the perfect recipe to try on busy week nights.
Everything you need for a fantastic meal is in this casserole. It is so cheesy and delicious that even your pickiest eaters will go crazy over this dish.
The Italian Sausage really adds a great flavor to the macaroni and the tomatoes pull it all together for a great dinner. You will love this!
We love recipes that have everything you need in one dish for a great meal. It sure does help around here when we are all running from work to school and endless activities.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage Casserole:
Everything you need for the most amazing dinner is in this casserole. Here are some of our favorites to add to this hearty meal:
- Side Salad
- Steam Broccoli
- French Bread
- Ground Sausage
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Half and Half
- Macaroni Pasta
- Salt and Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Cheddar Cheese
How to make Sausage mac and Cheese
- Brown the Sausage – Place the sausage and the diced onion in a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Break up the meat and cook until the sausage is browned. Drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the additional Ingredients – Then stir in the diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, water and half and half. Then stir in the elbow macaroni. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Continue Cooking – Cook and stirring constantly for 14-18 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Remove pan from heat – Uncover and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the cheese – Stirring in the cheddar cheese and allow the heat from the meal to melt the cheese. Make sure to stir occasionally so the macaroni is covered with cheese. Serve while warm and enjoy.
- Change the Meat – You can easily substitute different types of meat to suit what you have on hand. Use ground turkey or half turkey, half ground beef.
- Use Different Pasta – We have used all sorts of different pasta depending on what we had in the pantry.
- Add in vegetables – You can add in green bell peppers or finely chop up broccoli.
- Use different Cheese – If you want to add some spice, use pepper jack cheese or cheese sauce.
- Tomato Sauce – Instead of diced tomatoes, use tomato sauce.
Tips for Sausage Macaroni Skillet:
- Use a Food Chopper – Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions for this recipe. I actually do this with peppers too.
- Casserole Dish – After cooking the sausage macaroni in the skillet, you can place in a baking dish and top with cheese.
Print this Easy Macaroni and Cheese Casserole Recipe below:
Sausage Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Place the sausage and the diced onion in a large sauce pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Break up the meat and cook until the sausage is browned. Drain off any excess grease.
- Then stir in the diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, water and half and half. Then stir in the elbow macaroni. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for 14-18 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Uncover and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and allow the heat from the meal to melt the cheese. Serve while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe