This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Ambrosia Salad with Jello is a classic side dish that is served at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It tastes amazing and is easy to make.
Ambrosia Salad Recipe with Jello:
This ambrosia fruit salad recipe is always at our holiday dinners and potlucks. It is creamy, delicious and made with different types of fruit. This is the perfect fruit salad to enjoy year round.
The simple ingredients are combined and placed in a bundt pan to mold into a round shape. There is no baking involved in this recipe. Let the creamy salad chill in the fridge for a crowd pleasing dessert.
You can add nuts, change the fruit or just prepare it in a bowl. No matter how you serve this dish, it is always the first to go. Make it for you next family gathering for a classic dish.
What is Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad can be made in many different ways. It usually made with a mixture of canned pineapple, gelatin and whipped cream. Some recipes make it without jell-o.
But we love the way the mixture sets after it has chilled. Slice and serve a helping at your next holiday dinner.
The reason why it is called ambrosia is because ambrosia means beautiful. It is also associated with fruit from Greek Mythology. If you love jello salads try Raspberry Jello Salad and Mandarin Orange Jello Salad.
- Pineapple Flavor Gelatin (6 ounces)
- Crushed Pineapple (8 ounces- not drained) )
- Boiling Water
- Cold Water
- Cool Whip (thawed)
- Mandarin Oranges (11 ounces – drained)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Flaked or Shredded Coconut
How to Make Ambrosia Salad with Jello:
- Step 1 – Drain Pineapple – Drain the juice off the pineapple and place in a 1 cup measuring cup. If the juice does not fill up the cup completely, add in water until it’s full.
- Step 2 – Dissolve Gelatin – Place the gelatin mix in a large bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until the mix is completely dissolved.
- Step 3 – Stir in Pineapple Juice – Stir in the pineapple juice and water mixture.
- Step 4 – Refrigerate – Refrigerate the mixture for approximately 1 hour until it starts to thicken.
- Step 5 – Stir in Cool Whip – Stir in the cool whip and mix until well blended. Refrigerate for approximately 15 more minutes.
- Step 6 – Spray Bundt Pan – Light spray a 12 cup bundt cake. Or other mold with a non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- Step 7 – Add in Ingredients – Stir the pineapple, oranges, marshmallows and coconut into the jello mixture.
- Step 8 – Pour Mixture – Pour the mixture into the prepared bundt pan or mold.
- Step 9 – Chill Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Step 10 – Release Mold – Fill your sink with hot water. Carefully place the bottom half of the pan in the water. For 30-40 seconds and then invert the pan onto a serving plate to release the mold.
- Step 11 – Serve – Then the salad is ready to serve and enjoy.
How Long Does it Last in the Fridge:
This is the perfect fruit salad to make ahead of time. This ambrosia salad needs time for it to set and combine with the other ingredients. But we recommend within 3 days of making it.
The marshmallows can get soggy and the water from the fruit can start separating from the cream.
- Pineapple Juice – If using canned crushed pineapple, drain the juice from the can. It needs to make one cup, if it doesn’t you can add in water.
- Dissolve the Gelatin – Stir the gelatin into the boiling water until it is completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate – Make sure to refrigerate the gelatin for about an hour or until it thickens.
- Prepare Pan – Spray the pan with cooking spray as it will help the mold to remove easier.
- Chill – This fruit salad recipe is best after it has chilled for at least 4 hours.
- Frozen Whipped Toppings – We recommend thawing the cool whip before mixing in with the other ingredients.
Additions and Substitutions:
There are many different recipes on ways you can make this classic recipes. You can easily change this recipe by omitting the gelatin if you prefer.
Here are some additions that you can add to add flavor and texture.
- Chopped Pecans
- Chopped Walnuts
- Pineapple Tidbits – Any type of canned fruits will work
- Maraschino Cherries
If you prefer you can also change the whipped topping mixture. Make it with Greek Yogurt or sour cream. You can also use homemade whipped cream if you prefer.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to store in the refrigerator when not serving. This jello salad mixture is best when it is served cold.
Print Recipe for Ambrosia Salad with Jello:
Ambrosia Salad with Jello
- 1 pkg Pineapple Flavor Gelatin 6 ounces
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple 8 ounces- not drained )
- 2 cups Boiling Water
- Cold Water
- 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip thawed
- 1 can Mandarin Oranges 11 ounces – drained
- 1 1/2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Flaked Coconut
- Drain the juice off the pineapple and place in a 1 cup measuring cup. If the juice does not fill up the cup completely, add in water until it’s full.
- Place the gelatin mix in a large bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until the mix is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the pineapple juice and water mixture.
- Refrigerate the mixture for approximately 1 hour until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in the cool whip and mix until well blended. Refrigerate for approximately 15 more minutes.
- Light spray a 12 cup bundt cake or other mold with a non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- Stir the pineapple, oranges, marshmallows and coconut into the jello mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bundt pan or mold.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Fill your sink with hot water. Carefully place the bottom half of the pan in the water for 30-40 seconds and then invert the pan onto a serving plate to release the mold.
- Then the salad is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe