Bacon Brussel Sprouts is an easy side dish made with only a few ingredients. Take your brussel sprouts to the next level by adding bacon.
Bacon Brussel Sprouts Recipe:
Brussel Sprouts and bacon go together perfectly. This easy side dish is made with simple ingredients. Even my pickiest eaters will eat this combination without complaining. Which makes it easier for my kids to eat their vegetables.
We begin by cooking bacon in a large skillet to make them extra crispy. The brussel sprouts are then cooked in the bacon grease to give them more flavor. They are cooked to tender crisp to make this a crowd favorite.
If you are looking for an easy side dish the next time you grill or make steaks in doors, add this healthy side. The cooking process is easy and you will be amazed how flavorful they turn out.
How to Trim Brussel Sprouts:
Before cooking the Brussel Sprouts on the griddle, make sure you cut the ends off and then slice in half. They cook better and trimming the ends off removes the tough part.
- Brussel Sprouts
How to Cook Brussel Sprouts with Bacon:
- Prepare bacon and brussel sprouts – Cut the bacon into small pieces and trim the Brussel Sprouts by cutting the end off and then cut the Brussel Sprouts in half.
- Fry Bacon in a skillet – Fry the bacon in a large pan over medium high heat. Then remove the bacon pieces to a separate plate lined with paper towels but leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Begin cooking brussel sprouts – Add the Brussel Sprouts to the pan and toss them to thoroughly coat them in the bacon grease.
- Cook Brussel Sprouts until tender – Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the Brussel Sprouts are the tenderness that you prefer. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the brussel sprouts.
- Add bacon pieces back to skillet – Add the bacon bits back to the pan. Then sauté the Brussel Sprouts for a few minutes uncovered to brown them slightly.
- Season, serve and enjoy – Then season the Brussel Sprouts with the salt and pepper and enjoy.
Bacon and Brussel Sprouts Tips:
- Brussel Sprouts Size – Use small to medium size Brussel Sprouts for this recipe. If cooking larger size of brussel sprouts then they will need to cooked longer.
- Skillet – I used a cast iron skillet for this recipe but any should work great.
- Cooking – Make sure you allow the vegetable to cook long enough. If not, they will tough to eat.
Why are my Brussel Sprouts not Crispy?
When cooking the brussel sprouts make sure you are cooking in enough oil. Hot oil with combination of the heat from the stove, allows for the brussel sprouts to be crispy.
Continue cooking the brussel sprouts until they are the crispy texture that you prefer.
What Main Dish goes well with Brussel Sprouts?
There are many different main dishes that pair perfectly with brussel sprouts. We recommend to serve with steaks, hamburgers, and all types of meat. You can also add them to your roast beef when cooking in the slow cooker.
Red meat pairs perfectly with these brussel sprouts.
Can I Make this Recipe in the Oven?
Yes, if you prefer to make this in your oven, it still will turn out perfectly. I would cook you back first on the stovetop or in the oven. Then place the brussel sprouts on a foil lined or parchment paper baking sheet.
Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 20 minutes to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees. Then add the bacon to the baking sheet and place back in the oven to cook together.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with sausage, shrimp, and chicken makes for a great sheet pan meal.
- Add Cheese – Once the Brussel Sprouts are done, you can sprinkle with parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- Stir in Nuts – You can mix in some chopped pecans or slice almonds for added crunch.
- Lemon Juice – Add in fresh squeeze of lemon juice. This gives the brussel sprouts so much flavor.
- Honey – Drizzle honey over the brussel sprouts and bacon when the mixture has finished cooking.
- Mix in Sauce – We recommending adding in Worcestershire sauce, or BBQ Sauce, or balsamic vinegar.
- Red Onion – Add in slice red onions to give the mixture color and flavor.
- Oil – Use olive oil if you prefer not to cook the brussel sprouts in the bacon grease. You can also drizzle the olive oil once the brussel sprouts are cooked.
- Air Fryer – You can also cook these brussel sprouts in the air fryer for another easy idea for about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with Syrup – Another favorite that we have recently discovered is drizzling maple syrup on top of cooked brussel sprouts.
How to Store Leftover Brussel Sprouts:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe here for Bacon Brussel Sprouts:
Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- 1/2 pound Bacon
- 1 pound Brussel Sprouts
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and trim the Brussel Sprouts by cutting the end off and then cut the Brussel Sprouts in half.
- Fry the bacon in a large pan over medium high heat. Then remove the bacon pieces to a separate plate but leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the Brussel Sprouts to the pan and toss them to thoroughly coat them in the bacon grease.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the Brussel Sprouts are the tenderness that you prefer.
- Add the bacon bits back to the pan. Then sauté the Brussel Sprouts for a few minutes uncovered to brown them slightly.
- Then season the Brussel Sprouts with the salt and pepper and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe