This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Biscuits and Gravy Recipe is the best comfort food. This recipe is simple to make and made with easy ingredients.
Homemade Biscuits and Gravy Recipe:
This sausage gravy recipe is my go-to biscuits and gravy recipe. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make this delicious recipe for breakfast for your family.
If you are looking for the best biscuits and gravy recipe, you have come to the right place. The flavor is amazing and the results is thick gravy poured over biscuits.
Biscuits and Gravy can seem scary at first, but with this simple recipe we will help you get over that fear. Serve with a side of scramble eggs and fruit for a complete breakfast idea.
What is Sausage Gravy?
You are going to love this Sausage Gravy Recipe. It is a southern dish that is popular in the United States. Sausage crumbles are cooked and then removed. A roux is formed with butter, flour, and milk.
The sausage is added back in to create a thick gravy. That is delicious served over buttermilk biscuits, hash browns and toast. Once you have this delicious southern dish, you will be making for any occasion.
What is Gravy made of for Biscuits and Gravy?
Gravy for biscuits and gravy is made with flour, butter, grease from the sauce and milk. It really is the simple, and your probably already everything you need to make this recipe.
After the sausage cook, then butter is added with flour. This creates a roux before adding in the milk. The mixture simmers to create a thick gravy for your biscuits.
- Buttermilk Biscuits (8 count)
- Breakfast Sausage
- All Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Black Pepper
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy:
- Step 1 – Bake Biscuits – Bake the biscuits based on the package instructions. We like them to be golden brown before removing from the oven. Place on a baking sheet to bake.
- Step 2 – Cook Sausage – Brown the sausage in a large skillet with deep sides over medium high heat. Break up the pork sausage as it cooks. Do not drain off the excess grease.
- Step 3 – Add the Butter – Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the butter to the pan and melt the butter.
- Step 4 – Stir in Flour – Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the sausage. Mix with the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Step 5 – Stir in Milk – Slowly stir in the milk and continue to cook on a low simmer. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Step 6 – Scrape the Sides – Make sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the pan. To make sure that the flour mixture and sausage does not stick to the pan.
- Step 7 – Season Mixture – Then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve the hot gravy over the hot cooked biscuits and enjoy.
Biscuit and Gravy Recipe Tips and Tricks:
- Biscuits – In this recipe, we used canned biscuits. But you can make homemade biscuits if you prefer. The easy to make dough and biscuit cutter makes for a delicious biscuit recipe.
- Continue Stirring – When adding in the milk, make sure to continue stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon. I usually have the kids help with this task as I prepare the sides.
- Cooking Sausage – Cook the sausage until it is no longer pink over medium heat. You will not drain the grease from the sausage as this adds flavor to the gravy. It also gives it delicious taste. Make sure to crumble it in small pieces.
- Adding Flour – When adding in the flour to the skillet, make sure to allow it to cover the sausage. This will help to thicken the gravy when you add in the milk.
- Season the Gravy – Season the gravy with salt and pepper. This simple seasoning gives the gravy so much flavor.
- Thicken Gravy – When adding in the milk, the gravy may seem thin at first. Just continue stirring and it will thicken as it cooks. Do not add in more flour, just let the mixture simmer over low heat.
What is the Best Sausage to Use?
Any kind of sausage will work with this biscuit and sausage gravy recipe. We usually use pork sausage or breakfast sausage, but you can add in hot sausage. This gives it a little extra kick if you like your sausage gravy to be spicy.
How to Prevent Milk from Burning:
When pouring in the milk, make sure to keep stirring the gravy mixture. We recommend scraping the sides to get all the flour and sausage mixture to combine with the milk.
I like to have one my kids help with this so I can work on the sides.
What to Serve with the Best Biscuits and Gravy Recipe?
There are many sides that can be served with Biscuits and Gravy. You can easily just serve as is, but these are some of our favorite sides.
- Scrambled Eggs
- Side of Fruit
- Spices – Feel free to add in additional spices when making the gravy. You can add in a sprinkle of garlic, fresh herbs, or red pepper flakes.
- Onions – If your family likes onions, you can add them in while cooking the sausage. This adds a lot of flavor and something we had in often.
- Biscuits – Feel free to use any type of biscuits that you prefer. You can use canned or homemade whatever is the easiest.
Easy Biscuits and Gravy Casserole:
If you are looking for a one pot dish to make for a special occasion or for a holiday breakfast. We think you will love this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. I highly recommend this recipe as it is filling and delicious.
The ingredients are simple and always a crowd favorite.
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have leftovers store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge. Leftover gravy is easy to reheat in the microwave. You may need to add in a little milk to thin it out.
Can you Freeze Sausage Gravy?
We always seem to have leftovers of Biscuits and gravy. But it also freezes well. Place the gravy in a freezer bag and the biscuits in another freezer bag. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months if stored properly.
Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight to thaw when ready to serve.
Print Recipe for Biscuits and Gravy:
Biscuits and Gravy
- Bake the biscuits based on the package instructions.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with deep sides over medium high heat. Break up the sausage as it cooks. Do not drain off the excess grease.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the butter to the pan and melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the sausage with the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and continue to cook on a low simmer for 3-5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Make sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the pan to make sure that the flour and sausage does not stick to the pan.
- Then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Serve the hot gravy over the hot cooked biscuits and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe