This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Chicken Parmesan Recipe is simple to make but tastes like restaurant quality. Enjoy classic chicken parmigiana with marinara sauce and cheese with a few easy steps.
You will love easy Chicken parmesan recipe.
The chicken cutlets are perfectly coated and browned to perfection. They are crispy on the outside and super tender on the inside.
The tomato sauce and cheese combine for a delicious meal with the chicken. It sounds fancy and tastes amazing. However, this is actually a very simple recipe.
We have broken everything down into a few easy to follow steps. It is so delicious and your entire family will love it.
What is the difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana?
Both of these names refer to the same dish. There isn’t any difference at all. Both Chicken Parmesan and Chicken Parmigiana are the same recipe.
- Chicken Breasts, cut in half horizontally to make 6 filets
- large eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil for Frying
- Marinara Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil, chopped
How to make Chicken Parmesan:
- Trim and cut the chicken – Make sure to cut the pieces of chicken in half horizontally. You should have 6 chicken filets.
- Whisk the eggs – Put the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk them together. In a separate shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, Parmesan Cheese and garlic powder. Stir together.
- Coat the chicken – Place the chicken in the beaten egg mixture and dip both sides. Then dip the chicken in the bread crumbs.
Tip: You will need to press the chicken into the breadcrumbs to make sure it sticks. The chicken should have a thick coating on both sides.
- Prepare the oil – Just put chicken on a plate while you get the skillet ready.
- Get out a large skillet – Add olive oil and heat over medium high heat until the oil is hot. Place the coated chicken in the oil once hot.
- Fry the chicken – The chicken should be golden brown. It normally takes about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Since you have made the chicken into cutlets, it will cook fairly quickly.
- Get out a 9×13 baking dish – Pour about half of the marinara sauce in the baking pan. Add the chicken on top of the sauce. Make sure the chicken is in a single layer.
- Add more sauce and the cheese – Top the center of each piece of chicken with the remaining marinara sauce. Then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat and oven. Bake at 400 degrees F. The chicken needs to bake for 10-12 minutes. The cheese should brown slightly and the sauce gets bubbly.
- Top with the fresh basil – Enjoy. It is yummy and one of our favorite dinners.
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan?
- Pasta is the traditional side. You can use spaghetti, penne or anything you prefer.
- Mashed Potatoes. This really combines for the best comfort food.
- Cauliflower. If you are looking for a healthy side, try cauliflower rice. It is actually really good.
Along with one of these above options, I also like to serve Chicken Parm with a salad. It balances out the meal. See What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan for more side dish ideas.
Parmesan Chicken Recipe tips:
- Try to cut the chicken into the same size pieces. The cutlets should be as uniform as possible.
- Use one hand for coating the chicken. Keeping one hand clean will make this process easier.
- You can use jar sauce or make homemade.
- Flatten the chicken if it is really thick. This will help it to cook faster and more evenly. You can do this with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
How to store:
Place in the refrigerator covered up to 4 days.
How to reheat:
When ready to eat, reheat in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until heated all the way through.
The oven should be set to 350 degrees. You can use the microwave but the oven will make it more crispy.
We prefer this method because it reheats the best. The coating returns to its original crispy texture.
Can Chicken Parmesan be Frozen?
Yes, this dish can be frozen. It is an easy way to enjoy this meal when you don’t have the time for preparation.
There are two options for freezing. You can assembly this dish as normal after cooking. Wrap in plastic wrap and foil and freeze.
The other option is to wrap the chicken separately after cooking and freeze. You can wait to actually assemble the sauce and cheese in the dish until ready to bake. This method is an option for those concerned with the chicken getting soggy.
I have frozen it both ways and been pleased. I suggest doing the route you prefer. You might want to add a ½ cup extra sauce if freezing this dish.
Tip: Double the recipe when you make this. You will have one for dinner tonight and one to put in the freezer.
This is an effortless way to do this without any extra steps since you will have the ingredients out already. I am a huge fan of cooking once and eating twice.
This is a great benefit and truly does not take any extra time. I love only cleaning the kitchen once.
Gluten free option:
- Substitute gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free pasta in this recipe.
Dairy Free option:
- Substitute soy or almond milk and use vegan cheese.
Homemade Chicken Parmesan variations:
- Vegetables. While not traditional, you can add red peppers and onion to the sauce. Veggie lovers might like this idea.
- Fresh mozzarella. Instead of shredded mozzarella, try using fresh instead. Another idea is to combine both types of cheese.
- Sauce. Marinara is delicious but you can also use meat sauce or spaghetti sauce.
Enjoy this at home.
You can easily have Chicken Parmesan at home thanks to this simple recipe. You don’t have to wait to enjoy this at a restaurant.
Your family will love having this for dinner. I think you will also enjoy saving money. This dish can be pricey ordered out so the savings will add up.
We love everything about this recipe and it couldn’t be any simpler. Just follow this easy step by step instructions for a great dinner.
It is easy enough to enjoy during the week but so delicious for special occasions.
Print this Chicken Parmesan Recipe below:
- Trim the chicken breasts and cut them in half horizontally so that you have 6 chicken filets.
- Place the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk them. Then in a separate shallow bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, Parmesan Cheese and garlic powder.
- Dip both sides of the chicken in the beaten eggs, then dip the chicken in the bread crumb mixture. Make sure to press the chicken down into the breadcrumb mixture to ensure that it sticks and the chicken has a thick coating. Place the chicken on a plate while you prepare the oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until the oil is hot. Then place the coated chicken in the oil and fry the chicken until the chicken is golden brown (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Then pour approximately half of the marinara sauce in a 9X13 baking pan. Place the chicken over the sauce in a single layer and then top each chicken in the center of the chicken breasts with the remaining marinara sauce and then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese begins to brown slightly and the sauce is bubbly.
- Top with the fresh basil, serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe