One Pot Italian Chicken Pasta Recipe is the perfect one pot meal for busy weeknights. Lots of cheesy goodness combine with sun dried tomatoes, chicken and more to make the best meal.
One Pot Italian Chicken Pasta Recipe:
I love to keep it simple here with easy ingredients. If you have been following me for awhile, you know I like simple recipes. Plus in the kitchen, I prefer as little clean up as possible. This dinner cooks all in one pot for a quick and easy meal idea.
This one pot dish is full of tender chicken, sundried tomatoes and spinach. All combined with a thick, creamy sauce that adds flavor and a crowd pleasing meal. There is something about the comforting dish that makes my family happy.
This recipe is so tasty and easy and just all around the best meal. The sauce has just the perfect amount of seasoning and oh my that cheese. Add a salad and breadsticks for a complete meal idea in about 30 minutes.
What Type of Chicken do I use?
We used boneless chicken breast for this Italian chicken recipes with pasta. It is budget friendly and that is usually what I have stocked in my freezer. But feel free to use boneless chicken thighs or chicken tender.
Just make sure to cut in about the same size so that it cooks about the same time.
What to Serve with Italian Chicken Pasta:
- Side Salad – We normally just toss together a simple and easy side salad with Italian dressing. It is light and goes perfect with the pasta plus it is easy.
- Breadsticks – We love to serve this recipe with a side of breadsticks. It pairs well with this Italian dish and we like to make sure we get every last drop of the sauce.
- Roasted Vegetables – We always serve with a side of roasted broccoli and asparagus for an easy side.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Minced Garlic
- Italian Seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth
- Spinach Leaves
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Italian Chicken Pasta:
- Step 1 – Cook the chicken – Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch over medium high heat. Add in the diced chicken. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 – Add in garlic and sun dried tomatoes – Sauté the chicken for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is browned. Add in the minced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute until aromatic.
- Step 3 – Add in the additional ingredients – Stir in the chicken broth, linguine, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
- Step 4 – Simmer and cook pasta – Turn the heat down to medium and cover the pot with a lid. Cook pasta in the pot until al dente (7-9 minutes). Toss the pasta with tongs occasionally so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Step 5 – Add in cream and parmesan cheese – Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the chopped spinach, heavy whipping cream and grated parmesan cheese. Stir until well incorporated.
- Step 6 – Serve and enjoy – Let the mixture simmer for 1 more minute and then remove from the stove.
Tips for Italian Chicken Pasta Dishes:
- Chicken – Cut the chicken in bite size pieces. Make sure they are about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Simmer Ingredients – When adding in the noodles with the chicken broth, make sure the mixture comes to a boil so the noodles cook to al dente.
- Cover Pot – Cover the pot with the ingredients so that the ingredients cook but continue to toss so the noodles do not stick to the bottom.
- Heavy Cream and Spinach – Wait until the end of cooking time to add in the cream and spinach.
- Vegetables – Another option, add in chopped zucchini to the pasta. We do this a lot to make it a complete meal. Other vegetables to add in bell peppers, onions and garlic, broccoli, or cauliflower. Feel free to use frozen vegetables instead of fresh.
- Chicken – Feel free to use chicken thighs or chicken tenders if you do not have chicken breast.
- Heavy Cream – If you prefer to make this dish a lighter you can substitute heavy cream with half and half or whole milk. This will make the sauce less creamy but you can mix in a few tablespoons of cream cheese. Keep adding cream cheese until it is the consistency you prefer.
- Cheese – We love to top the one pot dish with loads of parmesan cheese. But feel free to add in other types of cheeses. Mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, or fontina.
- Spinach – We love adding spinach to this recipe but you can substitute with kale if you prefer. Any green vegetables would work mixed into this recipe.
- No Chicken – If prefer to make this dish meatless, just omit the chicken. This recipe would still be delicious and flavorful.
Can I Make in the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in the slow cooker. Add in the ingredients as indicated. You can cook the noodles in the slow cooker since this is a broth based dish or you can cook the noodles separately and toss with the other ingredients.
What type of Noodles do I use?
We used Linguine noodles for this recipe. But you can easily use spaghetti noodles or fettuccini noodles. We prefer a longer noodles but rigatoni or penne noodles would also work for this recipe.
How to Store Leftovers:
This Italian One Pot dish stores well. If we have leftovers we will like to store in individual containers which makes for a delicious lunch the next day. These leftovers will stay good for up to 4 days.
When you are ready to reheat, place in a microwave safe dish and reheat in 30 second intervals. You can also reheat in the skillet with some olive oil to prevent the noodles from sticking.
Print Italian Chicken Pasta recipe:
One Pot Italian Chicken Pasta
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (diced into bite size pieces)
- 1 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 oz Linguine
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch over medium high heat. Add in the diced chicken. Season it with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is browned. Add in the minced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute until aromatic.
- Stir in the chicken broth, linguine, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cover the pot with a lid. Cook pasta in the pot until al dente (7-9 minutes). Toss the pasta with tongs occasionally so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the chopped spinach, heavy whipping cream and grated parmesan cheese. Stir until well incorporated. Let the mixture simmer for 1 more minute and then remove from the stove.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy One Pot Pasta Recipes:
- One Pot Beef Taco Pasta Skillet Recipe
- Spicy Creamy Pasta
- One Pot Spaghetti Recipe
- Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- One Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta
- Lazy Day Easy Lasagna Recipe
What size can of crushed tomatoes do we use?
I used a 14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes. Thank you!
I am going to cook one pot chicken pasta but don’t know how much water to add
You can use water instead of the chicken broth, but you don’t need to add anymore.