This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe is a delicious restaurant favorite and is super easy to make. This creamy soup is loaded with flavor and is made with simple ingredients.
My family loves to get the Chicken Enchilada Soup at Chili’s anytime we go. Now you can enjoy this copycat soup at home for a hearty and delicious weeknight meal.
I can eat Soup Recipes all year long. But it is even better when it is a cold, fall day. If you enjoy Chicken Enchilada Soup as much as I do, you will love these recipes. Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe, Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe, or Slow Cooker Green Enchilada Chicken Soup.
Table of Contents
What is Masa Harina?
Masa Harina is corn dough that has been ground into flour. This dough is usually made to make tortillas but it can also be used as a thickening option.
Make sure to use with caution because if you add to much then it could cause your soup to be to thick.
Masa Harina should be available at your local grocery stores.
- Chicken Breasts Boneless, cooked and sliced
- Kosher Salt, divided
- Black Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Onion Powder
- Unsalted Chicken Stock, divided
- Masa Harina Corn Flour
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
For the full recipe and ingredients, scroll to the bottom of the post to see recipe card.
Additions and Substitutions:
- Spices – Feel free to change the spices to what you prefer. You can even add a dry rub to your chicken for added flavor. A teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper is a great addition for an extra hint of spice.
- Chicken – We used cooked chicken breasts in this recipe, but feel free to substitute for chicken thighs. We have even shredded a store bought rotisserie chicken for a delicious soup recipes.
- Add Beans – For amazing taste and texture add in beans to this soup. We recommend black beans or pinto beans for a delicious addition to this recipe.
- Cheese – This copycat recipe is delicious with different flavors of cheese. You can even shredded Velveeta cheese or shredded pepper Jack Cheese for a hint of spice.
- Onion – We used onion powder for this recipe, but feel free to use fresh onion. Red onion or white onion would be a delicious addition.
- Enchilada Sauce – Feel free to use different heat temperatures for this soup. Red Enchilada Sauce comes in mild, medium and hot.
How to Make Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup:
Step 1 – Add garlic to a large pot and sauté for 1-2 minutes with olive oil or vegetable oil. Add chicken broth.
Step 2 – In a medium bowl, whisk together masa harina and 2 cups water until well blended.
Step 3 – Add masa mixture to the pot.
Step 4 – Add enchilada sauce, salt, onion, powder, chili powder and cumin.
Step 5 – Bring to a Boil.
Step 6 – Add cubed chicken, monterey jack cheese, and cheddar cheese, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
When I make this soup for a crowd, I like to setup a toppings bar with some of our favorite toppings. These are our favorites.
- Tortilla Strips
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Pico De Gallo
- Slice Avocados
- Shredded Cheese
- Cooking Soup – We recommend cooking this soup on the stove top in a Dutch Oven or a large pot. Cook the soup over medium heat for best results.
- Cooked Chicken – This is a great recipe to use leftover chicken. For an easy way to cook chicken, this Oven Baked Chicken Recipe is my go-to.
- Soups Texture – This soup is made with a creamier, thicker texture. But if you prefer, you can add more broth for a thinner texture.
- Shredded Cheese – We recommend shredded the cheese yourself from hunk cheese. Pre-shredded cheese may not melt as well and has added ingredients that are not needed for this recipe. Add the cheese towards the end of cooking time for best results.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This soup will last about 4 days in the fridge. When you are ready to reheat, place in a microwave safe bowl and reheat in 1 minute increments.
Because of the creamy texture, we do not recommend freezing this soup.
More Easy Crock Pot Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
If you love this Copycat Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe, make sure to leave us a comment. We love hearing from you.
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 5 chicken breasts boneless cooked and sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 32 ounce boxes unsalted chicken stock divided
- 1 cup masa harina corn flour
- 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Optional Toppings:
- Tortilla strips
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Add garlic to a large pot and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together masa harina and 2 cups water until well blended. Add masa mixture to the pot.
- Add enchilada sauce, salt, onion, powder, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Add cubed chicken, monterey jack cheese, and cheddar cheese, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more broth or water, if needed, to be the consistency you like.
- Garnish with tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe