This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Creamed Spinach is a delicious side dish that can easily be made ahead of time. This classic side dish is made with spinach, cream cheese and simple seasoning.
Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe:
Creamed spinach is a classic side dish that is typically served at a steakhouse. Because of its rich and creamy texture, we started serving at our Thanksgiving dinner as a delicious side dish.
Fresh baby spinach is cooked in a cream sauce to create a delicious side dish. The simple ingredients makes this have a ton of flavor but is still quick and easy to make.
This side dish can be prepared ahead of time to save you time in the kitchen. This is the best creamed spinach recipe that you will make and is always a crowd favorite.
What is Creamed Spinach?
If you are looking for a simple side dish to serve for the holidays make this creamed spinach. It is a classic steakhouse side dish.
The rich and creamy texture is great way to get those they may not eat spinach, to actually try it.
It is a comforting dish that pairs well with a Thanksgiving dinner or served with your grilled meats. We used fresh baby spinach leaves, but you also make this dish with frozen spinach.
- Yellow Onion (finely diced)
- Minced Garlic
- Baby Fresh Spinach
- Cream Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Creamed Spinach:
- Step 1 – Melt Butter – Melt the butter in a large skillet or large pot over medium high heat. Add in the onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Step 2 – Stir in Spinach – Add in the spinach. Season it with salt and pepper. Sauté until the spinach is wilted (3-5 minutes).
- Step 3 – Add in Garlic – Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the onions and garlic is aromatic.
- Step 4 – Mix in Cream Cheese – Dice in the cream cheese and heat on low until melted.
- Step 5 – Add Parmesan Cheese – Add in the Parmesan Cheese and heat until melted.
- Step 6 – Let it Thicken – Remove from heat. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Step 7 – Serve – Serve warm and enjoy.
How to Serve Creamed Spinach:
Making creamed spinach at home is a delicious side dish that can be served with many different meats. You can even enjoy it all year long as this recipe is delicious even made with frozen spinach.
These are some of our favorite meats to enjoy with creamed spinach.
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast – This is an easy way to enjoy your holiday turkey. Learn how to easily roast a turkey breast with this easy recipe.
- Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe – There is no need to buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. Make this whole chicken easily in the slow cooker with simple ingredients.
- Grilled Teriyaki Steak – Grilled teriyaki steak recipe is full of flavor from being marinated and then grilled to perfection. This easy recipe comes together with little work but is a guaranteed hit.
- Cook Onions – Cook the finely chopped onions in the melted butter over medium heat. You can make cook this recipe in a skillet or dutch oven.
- Cook the Spinach – Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted. This process will take about 5 minutes. If using frozen spinach it may take longer. We recommend stirring occasionally.
- Cream Cheese – Before adding the cream cheese to the mixture, make sure to dice it into small pieces. This helps it melt evenly without having clumps. The texture should be smooth and creamy.
- Finish Cooking – After combining the ingredients. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to thicken. We think it taste best served warm.
- Cream Cheese – You can easily substitute the cream cheese for heavy cream. They texture may not be as thick, but it will taste amazing.
- Seasoning – For added flavor, feel free to change or add in seasoning. You can use garlic cloves instead of minced garlic or add in nutmeg. If you want a little kick in the taste, add in a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Cheese – We used grated parmesan cheese but you can also use mozzarella cheese or any type of cheese that you prefer.
Can I Make Creamed Spinach ahead of Time?
Yes, you can easily make this steakhouse side dish ahead of time. Prepare as the recipe card indicates, then once it is at room temperature, store in the refrigerator.
Then when you are ready to serve, place in a sauce pan and reheat over medium-low heat. This will save you time when preparing for your holiday dinner.
Can I Freeze Creamed Spinach?
Yes, creamed spinach freezes well if stored properly. Follow these easy steps to place your leftover creamed spinach in the freezer.
- Once you have prepared the creamed spinach, allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Place the creamed spinach in an air tight container or freezer safe bag. Be sure not to fill it to full so you have room for the creamed spinach to expand.
- I like to make sure to release any air in the freezer bag. This way you can store the creamed spinach flat in the freezer.
- Place in the freezer and it will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
- When ready to enjoy again, allow the creamed spinach to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. We like to divide into individual container with our meats for a quick lunch the next day.
The creamed spinach heat up well in the microwave. We recommend reheating in 30 second intervals.
Print Recipe for Creamed Spinach:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add in the spinach. Season it with salt and pepper. Sauté until the spinach is wilted (3-5 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Dice in the cream cheese and heat on low until melted.
- Add in the Parmesan Cheese and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe