Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili is a simple but delicious twist on a classic recipe. If you love buffalo sauce then this buffalo chicken chili is the recipe to make.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe:
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Chili is a cream chili recipe that is full of buffalo flavor. Chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and buffalo sauce combined with simple seasoning makes this twist on a classic chili recipe a family favorite.
If you love chili and buffalo sauce then you must make this creamy, with a hint of spice chicken chili. We love making chili, especially during the winter months and this one is simple to make.
We love that the slow cooker does all the work as an easy one pot meal. Adding the cream cheese and topping with Mozzarella Cheese makes it so creamy and cheesy. Perfect for a weeknight meal or to feed a game day crowd.
If you love buffalo chicken, also try Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe or Easy Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sliders.
What is Buffalo Chicken Chili?
Buffalo Chicken Chili is the best of both worlds. It combines the delicious flavor of buffalo chicken wings with chili in a tomato base sauce. It is a creamy chili that adds in simple seasoning and beans to make the best chicken chili recipe.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz can – do not drain)
- Green Chilies (4 oz can – do not drain)
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Frozen Corn
- Celery (finely diced)
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cream Cheese (8 oz – cut into chunks)
- Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Green Onions (sliced)
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Chili in a Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Add ingredients to slow cooker – Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, green chiles, buffalo sauce. Corn, celery and seasonings to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Step 2 – Slow Cook Chili – Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken, shred and return it back to the crock pot.
- Step 3 – Add in Cheeses – Stir in the cream cheese and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm topped with the blue cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
- Cream Cheese – Add the cream cheese once there is about 30 minutes left of cooking time to this buffalo chicken chili. We recommend the cream cheese be at room temperature.
- Shredding Chicken – After cooking chicken shred the chicken with a hand mixer to easily shred the chicken. This allows for the chicken to shred evenly.
We love to serve this chili with many different toppings. Chili is usually a great time to do a chili bar with bowls of your favorite toppings.
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream – Greek Yogurt as a healthier alternative.
- Tortilla Chips
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Green Onions
- Corn Salsa
- Hot Sauce
How to Shred Chicken:
This is a simple recipe that will soon become a family favorite. It is tasty and delicious and so easy. I use a hand mixer to shred the chicken faster. It is so easy and one of my best time saving kitchen tips.
If you are not shredding your chicken this way, you are missing out. It can be done in a fraction of the time by doing it by hand.
Plus, I love the texture of the chicken when you use the hand mixer. I have an entire post on how to shred with your mixer that you can check out.
Simply remove the chicken breast from the crock pot and then shred in a bowl. Then place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot to mix with the other ingredients.
If you don’t have a mixer, shredding with two forks works as well. It’s a great recipe.
Recipe Substitutions and Additions:
- Chicken – We cooked the chicken in the slow cooker. We usually take frozen chicken from the freezer and place directly in the slow cooker. But you can also use thawed chicken, leftover chicken or ground chicken.
- Beans – We love adding beans to our chili recipe. Add in white beans or cannellini beans. Other beans that would be delicious would be black beans or pinto beans.
- Instant Pot – For a quick and easy weeknight meal, make this recipe in the instant pot. All the ingredients cook directly in the instant pot so need to cook the chicken separately.
- Tomatoes – We used fire roasted tomatoes, but you can also use a can of Rotel. Plain diced tomatoes would also work in this recipe.
- Cheese – We like Mozzarella Cheese to top the buffalo chicken but you can top with pepper jack cheese or Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Chili?
- White Rice – You can serve this chili as a soup or serve it over white rice. This thickens the sauce. I like to eat it this way for the second meal.
- Homemade Rolls – We like to serve with some bread to dip into the chili and to make sure we get the last drop.
- Vegetables – Make a vegetable tray of raw vegetables. It pairs well with the buffalo sauce and the chili.
Is Buffalo Chicken Chili Spicy?
This buffalo chicken chili is not spicy. But you can definitely add in additional ingredients to enhance the spicy level. These are some of our favorite additions.
- Hot Sauce
- Add in red crushed peppers or cayenne pepper
- Diced jalapenos or chiles in adobo sauce
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. We think this taste even better the next day. The ingredients really marinate together overnight which makes a delicious meal the next day.
How to Freeze:
Buffalo chicken chili can be placed in the freezer. Store the chili in an air tight container and place in the freezer. It will last about 3 to 4 months if store properly.
How to Reheat:
When you are ready to reheat, allow the chicken chili to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If you are heating a large portion, place in a saucepan and reheat.
For smaller portion, you can reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir the chili until heated thoroughly.
Print Recipe for Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili:
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz can – do not drain
- 1 can Green Chilies 4 oz can – do not drain
- ½ cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- ¼ cup Celery finely diced
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 pkg Cream Cheese 8 oz – cut into chunks
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, green chiles, buffalo sauce. Corn, celery and seasonings to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken, shred and return it back to the crock pot.
- Stir in the cream cheese and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm topped with the blue cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Recipe