Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is loaded with cheese, buffalo sauce, noodles and chicken. It is the perfect weeknight meal and is easy to make.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe:
Easy mac and cheese buffalo chicken recipe is loaded with flavor. The perfect meal to use your leftover chicken and your cooked noodles in. All the ingredients are combined and cooked together on the stovetop.
Quick and easy buffalo chicken mac and cheese is perfect for any occasion. You can serve as a side dish or as a main meal. The two cheeses melt perfectly with the other ingredients to create an amazing dish.
This recipe is tangy, savory and the perfect amount of spice to be enjoyed by all. Add a side salad or some roasted vegetables to make this a complete meal.
- Salted butter
- All-Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cooked Macaroni
- Buffalo Sauce
- Grilled Chicken, diced
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese:
- Step 1 – Cook Pasta al dente – If you have not already cooked your pasta, cook it now, drain it, and set it aside. While the pasta is cooking, make sure you have your chicken diced into small pieces.
- Step 2 – Melt butter and mix in flour – Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once all the butter has melted, stir in the flour until just combined.
- Step 3 – Add milk and cheeses – Add the milk and cheeses. Reduce the stove to medium heat and stir the mixture constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Step 4 – Add macaroni and sauce – Fold in the macaroni and buffalo sauce until homogenous. Make sure that the pasta is evenly coated in cheese and sauce.
- Step 5 – Mix in Grilled Chicken – Fold in the grilled chicken, serve, and enjoy!
Tips for Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese:
- Cooking Pasta – Make sure to cook pasta al dente or according to package. You can easily prepare this pasta ahead of time if you are planning on making this recipe.
- Dice Chicken – You can easily dice your chicken ahead of time. This is a great recipe to use for leftover chicken.
- Melting Butter – Make sure the butter is melted before mixing in the flour.
- Mixing in the cheese and Milk – Continuing stirring the cheese and the milk into the butter and flour mixture until everything is melted.
- Stirring in the Macaroni – When you stir in the macaroni, make sure it is completely covered with melted cheese mixture.
- Shredded Cheese – We recommend shredding your own cheese. It melts and taste better than pre-shredded cheese.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese in Crockpot:
Making Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese in the crock pot is easy to do. We like making it in the slow cooker when we a feeding a crowd as it keeps it warm.
You can even make this by starting with uncooked noodles and adding in butter, milk and seasoning to cook the noodles. Then stirring in the cheese and chicken to create and amazing dish.
Check our Crock Pot Mac and Cheese for all the tips.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Chicken Breast – I like to use precooked, frozen grilled chicken; however, you can also use fresh grilled chicken or shredded chicken. You can also use rotisserie chicken.
- Add Spice – If you want to really up the spice level of this dish, add an extra drizzle of buffalo sauce to the top of the dish when serving. You can also add a few drops of tobacco sauce or hot sauce to the cheese sauce when you add the milk.
- Change the Noodles – We like the macaroni noodles but you use what you have. We think a bowtie pasta would be good to use.
- Change the Cheese – We used cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese but you can easily use pepper jack cheese or colby monterrey cheese for added flavor. You can also melt cream cheese for added creaminess.
- Add your favorite toppings – We like to top with diced green onions but sour cream would also be delicious. We love the added creamy texture it gives.
- Dressing – Feel free to add blue cheese dressing for a hint of ranch flavor to the mac and cheese.
How to Store Leftovers:
This mac n cheese is good in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to store in an air tight container. We think it taste even better the next day as the ingredients really marinate together.
How to Reheat Buffalo Mac and Cheese:
When reheating this dish, I found it best to reheat it on the stovetop with a little extra milk. Simply add 2 tablespoons- ¼ cup of milk to the pasta and stir continuously until heated all the way through.
You can use a microwave, if you prefer but your noodles may get mushy.
Print Recipe here for Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe:
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb cooked macaroni
- 1 ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cups grilled chicken diced
- If you have not already cooked your pasta, cook it now, drain it, and set it aside. While the pasta is cooking, make sure you have your chicken diced into small pieces.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once all the butter has melted, stir in the flour until just combined.
- Add the milk and cheeses. Reduce the stove to medium heat and stir the mixture constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Fold in the macaroni and buffalo sauce until homogenous. Make sure that the pasta is evenly coated in cheese and sauce.
- Fold in the grilled chicken, serve, and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Recipe
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas Recipe