Crock Pot Cabbage is a delicious side dish that can be served with many different recipes. This cabbage recipe is loaded with flavor and easy to make.
Crock Pot Cabbage Recipe:
Cabbage is a vegetable that doesn’t get made very often, but when we do we love to cook it in the slow cooker. This recipe is made with simple ingredients which makes this dish so flavorful.
We usually make cabbage with ham or with corned beef. If you have never tried Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe you are in for a treat. It is so delicious and loaded with flavor. All the ingredients cook together in the slow cooker for a complete meal idea.
We love to add bacon to this cabbage recipe, but it can easily be left out. The next time you need an easy side dish, make this slow cooker recipe. My entire family eats it and I love it because the slow cooker does all the work.
- Head of Cabbage (cored and chopped)
- Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- White Onion (diced)
- Bacon Grease (reserved when cooking the bacon)
- Minced Garlic – You can also use garlic powder.
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Cabbage in Crockpot:
- Step 1 – Place the chopped cabbage in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Step 2 – Brown the bacon with the white onion in a large skillet over medium high heat until the bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Chop the bacon and add the bacon, onions and bacon grease (approximately ¼ cup) to the crock pot.
- Step 3 – Then top with the minced garlic, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Step 4 – Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours until the cabbage is tender.
- Step 5 – Serve the cabbage with a slotted spoon and enjoy!
How to Pick Cabbage:
- First, you want to pick a cabbage that is heavy in size.
- Cabbage should look fresh and crisp with not many loose leaves. The leaves should be tight.
- Pick a cabbage that does not have any dark, bruised areas on the outer leaves.
Different Types of Cabbage:
- Green Cabbage – Green Cabbage is commonly used in more recipes. It has smooth, darker green on the outside and light green leaves on the inside. Green Cabbage is great for cabbage soup. We use this cabbage for all crockpot cabbage recipes.
- Red Cabbage – This cabbage actually has vibrant purple leaves out the outside and white veins on the inside. It is very similar to the green cabbage as far as taste, but the colors is more vibrant.
- Savoy Cabbage – This loosely, crinkle cabbage is similar to green cabbage. But has a very mild flavor.
- Napa Cabbage – Unlike the other cabbages that have a round shape, this Chinese cabbage is oblong head. It belongs to the cabbage varieties of bok choy, baby bok choy, and choy sum. This cabbage is great for shredding and adding your favorite salads.
How Long to Cook Slow Cooker Cabbage:
After preparing the cabbage for the slow cooker, place all the ingredients and cook on high. Cooking time may vary, but you will cook the cabbage for about 3 hours or until tender.
How to Cut Cabbage:
If you are looking for different ways to cut cabbage we give you all the tips and tricks on How to Cut Cabbage.
You can easily cut cabbage ahead of time and save time. Place the uncooked cabbage in air tight container until you are ready to use.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Tips:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you have or prefer. Use Italian Seasoning or fresh herbs like thyme or dill for amazing flavor.
- Broth – If you prefer a vegetarian option, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Cooking Cabbage – We love cooking the cabbage in the slow cooker on high, but you can also cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
What can I use Instead of Bacon?
You can leave the bacon out of the recipe for a vegetarian side dish if you prefer. If you leave out the bacon, add butter in place of the bacon grease.
If you would like to use another meat besides bacon add in diced ham or kielbasa sausage. If you have leftover ham hock, you can also add that to the crock pot for the delicious flavor.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Cabbage:
- Oven Roasted Potatoes and Sausage – This Smoked Sausage Sheet Pan dinner includes Kielbasa Sausage, carrots, asparagus and more all topped with amazing seasoning.
- Cornbread – Cornbread, cabbage and some sausage is the perfect meal. This homemade cornbread is an easy recipe.
- Roasted Chicken – This oven roasted chicken is seasoned perfectly and so tender making this one of my favorite chicken dinners.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How to Reheat Leftovers:
When you are ready to reheat leftovers, you can reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. If reheating on the stove, place in a skillet with butter and cook until reheated.
Print Recipe here for Crock Pot Cabbage:
Crock Pot Cabbage
- 1 small Head of Cabbage cored and chopped
- 8 slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 White Onion diced
- 1/4 cup Bacon Grease reserved when cooking the bacon
- 1 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- Place the chopped cabbage in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Brown the bacon with the white onion in a large skillet over medium high heat until the bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Chop the bacon and add the bacon, onions and bacon grease (approximately ¼ cup) to the crock pot.
- Then top with the minced garlic, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve the cabbage with a slotted spoon and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Cabbage Recipes to try:
- Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Recipe
- Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe