Our family loves Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe and it has everything you need for a great meal. You will love coming home to this one pot meal with tons of savory beef, cabbage and more.
Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe:
If you love to make cabbage rolls, try this really easy unstuffed cabbage soup. You can easily enjoy this without any effort thanks to the crock pot. This warm and comfort soup is made with ground beef, rice, simple seasoning and cabbage.
Come home to an amazing dinner that has everything you need in one pot. I love toss and go meals and this can easily be put together on busy mornings. Flavorful and delicious tomato based soup that everyone loves.
If you love stuffed cabbage rolls than you are going to love this effortless soup. Everything gets tossed in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal. Serve with a side of garlic bread for a delicious meal.
What is Cabbage Soup?
Cabbage soup is loaded with ground beef, vegetables, rice and simple seasoning. This tomato based soup is often called unstuffed cabbage roll because everything is made in a soup form.
This soup is low in calorie and the perfect soup to make on a cold day. Savory, delicious and loaded with flavor. Everyone in my family loves it and it is a top requested soup.
Ingredients for Cabbage Roll Soup
- Lean Ground Beef
- Minced Garlic
- Green Cabbage (See How to Cut Cabbage)
- Beef Broth
- Tomato Sauce
- Shredded Carrots
- Bay Leaf
- Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Oregano Leaves
- Cooked White or Brown Long Grain Rice
How to Make Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup with Hamburger:
- Step 1 – Add everything to slow cooker – Place everything but the rice in the crock pot. Cook on low and come home to the best soup.
- Step 2 – Add rice and stir – A few minutes before serving, remove the bay leaf and stir in the cooked rice.
- Step 3 – Serve and enjoy – Serve and enjoy. Keep reading for the full recipe.
What to Serve with Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup:
Everything you need for a great meal is in the slow cooker. The rice in the soup really brings it all together and makes it a great meal.
- Simple Salad – We love having a simple salad with the soup. We love this for something quick and easy.
- Garlic Bread – You can also serve the soup with bread. We love Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe and it is perfect for dipping into the soup and getting every last drop. It is so good dipping into the soup.
- Roasted Vegetables – Roasted broccoli or asparagus with this soup. There are easy to make and paired perfectly with this cabbage soup.
- Bake Potatoes – Make bake potatoes in the microwave or stove for an easy side dish. Serve with all the favorite for a delicious side to cabbage soup.
Tips for Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup:
- Browning the Ground Beef – This is the perfect soup to make with leftover ground beef. I like to cook it separately, but if you have a slow cooker browns beef you can cook it all together.
- Warm Soup – I have a slow cooker that is programmable. This warm stays perfectly on the warm setting for up to 2 hours.
- Cool Soup – Before storing make sure you cool to room temperature.
- Rice – Add the rice right before serving. You can use brown rice, white rice, or cauliflower rice. Make sure to cook prior to adding it to the soup.
- Add Bacon – Stir in cooked bacon for added flavor.
- Dutch Oven – You can make this soup in a Dutch oven. I like to cook the onion and group beef in some olive oil. Then add in the remainder of the ingredients to simmer on the stove all day.
Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, you can easily make this soup ahead of time. This is the perfect soup to meal prep with or for busy weeknights. Make this soup on a Sunday and add to individual containers.
You can reheat on the stove top or in the microwave. It will stay good for up to 4 days.
Easy Substitutions in Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup:
- Change the Meat – Substitute ground turkey, ground pork or ground chicken for the beef.
- Shredded Beef – Try shredded beef. If you have made a roast recently, you can use that to add to this soup.
- Add in Vegetables – Add other veggies in the soup. Zucchini, mushrooms, or chopped cauliflower would be a perfect addition to this soup.
- Diced Tomatoes – Try diced tomatoes with the tomato sauce.
- Rice – Omit the rice for a low carb dinner option. You can also use cauliflower rice for a delicious substitution.
- Broth – Use veggie broth instead of beef broth. You can also use chicken broth.
- Meatless – Add extra veggies and tomatoes and omit the meat for Meatless Monday.
How to Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup:
Cool the soup and place in freezer bags. You can also use freezer containers but we like the bags so they lay flat.
It saves a ton of space when you stack the bags by freezing them flat. Perfect if you don’t have much space or want to make the most of what you do have.
Why we Love this Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe:
- Easy to Make – I love meals that everything can be added to the slow cooker. You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and then toss them in the slow cooker on cooking day.
- Healthy – This soup is loaded with protein, vegetables and carbs. Which makes it nice to be able to get healthy benefits from these simple ingredients.
- Simple Ingredients – You can easily use fresh herbs, other vegetables, and other types of meat based on your diet. Simple ingredients makes this soup so flavorful.
- Make Ahead – If you are looking for a soup that you can meal prep with that is healthy and flavorful, this is the soup to make.
Print this Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe below:
Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef Browned and Drained
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 cups chopped green cabbage about half of a medium sized head
- 32 oz. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans tomato sauce 14.5 oz each
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups cooked white or brown long grain rice
- Place everything but the rice in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- 15 minutes before ready to eat, remove the bay leaf, stir in the cooked rice and serve
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crockpot Cabbage Recipes:
More Crock Pot Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Potato Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Steak Soup Recipe
Do you cook the ground beef before putting it into the crockpot?
Yes, I do. Sorry for the confusion. I updated the recipe to clarify. Thank you!