Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore sounds fancy but it is so simple to make in the slow cooker. If you are looking for a one pot meal that has the best chicken, mushroom and tomato sauce, this recipe is a must try.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe:
Once you prepare this easy chicken cacciatore crock pot recipe, you will make it all the time! The tomato sauce is so hearty and delicious with tons of tender chicken and mushrooms.
The chicken is cook tender and delicious. The tomato sauce is loaded with veggies for amazing flavor. Serve it all over pasta or rice for a simple meal idea your family will absolutely love.
This meal is perfect for a weeknight meal or fancy enough to serve at your next dinner party. Hearty, delicious chicken meal that is made with simple ingredients. Slow cooker recipes are our favorite especially for this easy chicken recipe.
What is Chicken Cacciatore?
Cacciatore is old Italian dish and to have cacciatore means to have it hunter style. Hunter in Italian is cooked in a tomato based sauce. You can add in mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and herbs. We have also have added in red wine or white wine.
This Italian dish is warm and comforting yet simple and delicious. Even my picky eaters loved this recipe.
- Chicken Thighs
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Red and Green Bell Peppers
- Dried Oregano
- Bay Leaf
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore in Slow Cooker:
While this recipe sounds and looks fancy, it is actually so simple to make.
- Step 1 – Slice and chop vegetables to prepare for cooking
- Step 2 – Add the chicken tomatoes, peppers, onion, and mushrooms all go in the crock pot.
- Step 3 – Add the seasoning including the salt and black pepper on top of the vegetables.
- Step 4 – Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Let it cook on low all day and that is it. Cook time will vary.
- Step 5 – Meanwhile cook fettuccini according to directions.
- Step 6 – Serve over fettuccini. It is one of the easiest meals to prepare ever. This recipe is so delicious as the ingredients are so flavorful.
What to Serve with Chicken Cacciatore:
- Noodles – You can serve chicken cacciatore over fettuccine noodles. We have also served over angel hair pasta or spaghetti noodles. Use what you have on hand.
- Vegetables – We also like to serve it with a simple side salad or Easy Grilled Broccoli.
- Cheese Sticks – We love Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe. These are perfect to dip in the yummy tomato sauce.
- Rice – Serve this delicious chicken cacciatore over rice for an delicious meal idea.
- Zucchini Noodles – If you are eating low carb, skip the bread and pasta and serve it with this Zucchini Noodles Recipe. We have actually been making these for awhile and the entire family loves them.
- Spaghetti Squash – Another low carb option is to make spaghetti squash for an amazing side. Spaghetti squash is delicious and easy to make.
Tips for Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore:
- Remove the Chicken – Once the mixture has cooked, you can remove the chicken and shred or leave whole and serve. I like to shred the chicken and then add back and mix with the sauce.
- Noodles – When the Chicken Cacciatore is almost done, being preparing the noodles. Cook the noodles according to the package or al dente. We like to toss the noodles with olive oil to prevent them from sticking.
- Garnish – Garnish the chicken cacciatore with some fresh basil or parsley for color and flavor.
- Change the Chicken – We used chicken thighs in this recipe but you can also use boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders.
- Mushrooms – Make this recipe with portabella mushrooms instead of cremini mushrooms. The mushrooms can also be omitted.
- Italian Seasoning – You can substitute oregano for Italian Seasoning blend if you prefer. You can also change the seasoning or add in basil or thyme.
- Change the Vegetables – Feel free to change the vegetables to what your family likes. We used onions and peppers, but black olives would be a good additions.
- Make Spicy – If you prefer, you can add in red pepper flakes to add some spice to this mixture.
Is Chicken Cacciatore the same as Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken Parmesan is made with boneless chicken breast and is breaded then fried or baked. Then it is topped with mozzarella cheese and melted over the chicken.
Chicken Cacciatore is cooked in a stew type ingredients such as vegetables and a tomato sauce. We used boneless thighs in this recipe, but most of the time is made with bone-in chicken.
How do you Thicken Chicken Cacciatore:
If you would like your sauce to be thicker we recommend the following options.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and leave it uncovered. The allow the sauce to cook for an additional hour on high. After about an hour the sauce should be thick and more flavorful.
- Another option is to make a corn starch slurry. This option never fails me, so if I am in a hurry I like to use this option. Mix together 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl. Then pour this in the sauce and it allow it to thicken.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftovers in an air tight container. Place in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. We really enjoy this chicken cacciatore leftover as the ingredients really marinate together overnight.
When you are ready to serve, place ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and reheat. Heat in 1 minutes intervals until heated.
Easy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe:
The chicken thighs are so tender and cook perfectly in the slow cooker. You will love that this delicious meal is so frugal. Chicken thighs are inexpensive and so tasty in this recipe.
You can also try using chicken breasts and sausage is great too. This meal is very versatile. Slow Cooker chicken breast recipes can be budget friendly as well if you can catch a good sale.
Both options are awesome. Just use what you have.
Print this Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe below:
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 8 chicken thighs boneless
- 2 can crushed tomatoes 15 oz
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz fettuccine
- Chicken tomatoes, peppers, onion, seasonings and mushrooms all go in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile cook fettuccini according to directions.
- Serve over fettuccini
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Chicken Thigh Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chipotle BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Crock Pot Creamy Salsa Ranch Chicken Recipe