This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock pot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe is a one pot meal that is so flavorful in each bite. With lots of shrimp, chicken and sausage, this meal is sure to please the entire family.
Slow Cooker Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe:
Slow Cooker Shrimp Jambalaya is one of our favorite one pot meals. The flavors of the shrimp and sausage combined with the Cajun seasoning really makes this Jambalaya recipe so delicious.
One pot meals really helps to get dinner on the table quickly. All the ingredients except for the shrimp and rice gets placed in the slow cooker.
Jambalaya is the best comfort food. Savory, spicy, meaty and juicy all the flavors combined in one rice dish to make a family favorite meal. If you love shrimp, you might also like Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe.
What is Shrimp Jambalaya?
Shrimp Jambalaya is a combination between a soup and a stew and just so yummy. All the flavors blend together and it is so good. It has just the perfect amount of heat but it isn’t too spicy.
Jambalaya is a Cajun recipe that is made with rice, celery, peppers and onions. The traditional meat that is usually added is chicken, sausage, or shrimp.
All these flavors combine make this Instant Pot Shrimp Jambalaya one of my favorite recipe. The entire family loved it and the kids gobbled it up
- Andouille Sausage
- Cajun Seasoning
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Dried Oregano
- Chicken Broth – You can also use Chicken Stock
- Large Shrimp (peeled, deveined with the tails-on or tails-off)
- Rice, Cooked
How to make Easy Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe:
- Combine Ingredients in Crock Pot – Add all the ingredients except for the shrimp and the rice in the crock pot.
- Cook Ingredients – Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Add in Shrimp – Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through and pink.
- Cook Rice Separately – Prepare rice until tender.
- Serve and Enjoy – Stir in the cooked rice, serve warm and enjoy. White rice or brown rice tastes amazing with this meal. Once you have added the rice, it is ready to enjoy.
What is The Best Shrimp to use?
The perfect shrimp to use in this Jambalaya Recipe is the large, jumbo or colossal size shrimp. We buy the shrimp that is already peeled and deveined. This way it is easy to toss the shrimp in the Crock Pot without a lot of work.
Can I make Jambalaya Recipe Slow Cooker with no Shrimp?
Yes, you can make this Jambalaya without the shrimp. I often just use what I have on hand. We love making this easy Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya Recipe.
It is a great one to try if you want to omit the shrimp. We love the different variety that can be changed on this recipe.
Crock Pot Shrimp Jambalaya Tips:
- Sausage – When making any type of jambalaya, sausage is always part of the ingredients. We like to get good quality sausage to really enhance the flavors.
- Slice Sausage – Thinly slice the sausage and you can also sauté the sausage in olive oil before adding to the jambalaya.
- Seasoning – Make sure you add plenty of seasoning especially if you are serving it with rice. We also like to use creole seasoning.
- Garnish your jambalaya – Add some green onions or chopped parsley for some added flavoring.
- Rice – You can use instant rice or long grain rice to mix into the jambalaya. Make sure it is cooked before adding.
- Vegetables – When selecting vegetables, make sure to add vegetables that cook about the same time.
- Low Carb Jambalaya – If you prefer to have low carb jambalaya you can omit the rice. The Jambalaya will still be full of flavor.
- See What to Serve with Jambalaya for easy side ideas.
What is the Best Rice for Shrimp Jambalaya?
We recommend using long grain white rice to mix in the Jambalaya. White rice is firm, fluffy texture that combines well with the ingredients in Jambalaya. Long Grain rice includes Basmati and Jasmine rice, which are my recommended rice.
Long Grain rice is full of nutrient’s and vitamins and folic acid which makes these rice naturally gluten free.
You can also serve Jambalaya with Cauliflower Rice mixed in. This is the perfect low carb option and a great way to get in more vegetables.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store your leftover Shrimp Jambalaya in an air tight container. Place container in the refrigerator and serve within 3 to 4 days.
We think this shrimp jambalaya is actually better the next day. All the ingredients marinate together overnight to make it even better.
How to Reheat Jambalaya:
We recommend reheating leftover Slow Cooker Jambalaya on the stove top in a dutch oven. This helps to retain the texture and it allows the Jambalaya to heat thoroughly. Bring to a boil on medium high heat until warm.
Reduce heat and let Jambalaya simmer until ready to serve. To reheat Jambalaya it will take about 20 minutes.
Jambalaya can also be easily reheated in the microwave in a microwave safe dish. Heat in 30 second intervals until warm.
Variation Ideas for Shrimp Jambalaya:
- Spicy Jambalaya – Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- Add Chicken – Add Chicken Breast to the Shrimp and Sausage or substitute the shrimp for the chicken. We like to add in additional protein to make it more hearty.
- Mix in Vegetables – You can add in carrots, broccoli, corn, green beans or cauliflower to the Jambalaya. Add in some diced tomatoes for that extra tomato flavor.
- No Meat Option – Eliminate the sausage and add more shrimp or vegetable broth.
- Plant Base Jambalaya – You can use Plant Base sausage and add to the jambalaya.
- Bay Leaves – You can add in bay leaves if you prefer.
Shrimp Jambalaya is a Family Favorite:
This recipe is super easy and perfect for busy weeknights! The entire family will enjoy it and you will love how simple it is. Combining the flavor of the Cajun Seasoning with the shrimp and sausage makes this a hearty meal.
This meal is also perfect to feed a crowd. We love how hearty, delicious and how easy this slow cooker recipe is to make.
Print this Crock Pot Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya recipe below:
Crock pot Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage (sliced into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 1/2 onion (diced into small pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced into large pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced into large pieces)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw large shrimp (tails on or tails off)
- 3 cups white rice (cooked)
- Place all the ingredients except for the shrimp or rice in a crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook on high for 30-60 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through and is pink.
- Stir in the cooked rice, serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these easy shrimp recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Recipe
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Scampi recipe
- Quick and Easy Lemon Garlic Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Make sure to check out all our favorite easy crock pot recipes.