Learn how to cook spaghetti squash for a flavorful side dish. We have several cooking methods for the best spaghetti squash. You can easily cook spaghetti squash in the oven, crock pot or pressure cooker.
How to cook spaghetti squash
We have the best ways to cook spaghetti squash. Whether you want to slow cook the squash or roast it in the oven, we have options for everyone.
Short on time? We have an easy spaghetti squash recipe for the pressure cooker.
Learn the best tips and tricks for tender and flavor packed spaghetti squash. It is such a delicious alternative to pasta and pairs nicely with many different meals.
Ingredient you need:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning. You can use anything you prefer. Some ideas include: garlic powder, Italian seasoning or just salt and pepper.
- Liquid. Depending on the cooking method, you may also need water or broth.
How to cut Spaghetti Squash:
With a few easy steps, you can cut squash. Don’t let this intimidate you as it is very simple.
Make sure you have a sharp chef’s knife so that is easy to cut. It is also helpful to have a kitchen towel to help steady the squash while cutting
- Step 1 – Secure the squash with the towel. This will help to prevent it from moving around while trying to cut it.
- Step 2 – Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use the knife to to cut the squash horizontally so you have two squash halves.
- Step 3 – Scoop out the seeds. I use a spoon to scoop everything out. Remove the seeds and you are ready to cook.
The Best way to cook spaghetti squash
We have 3 of the best methods. You can roast the squash in the oven, slow cook it in the crockpot or use the instant pot for a faster approach.
Each of these will require a few different steps or ingredients. Choose the method that suits your family the best.
The results are fantastic each time regardless of the method you choose. You will love this fork tender side dish.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
Roasting spaghetti squash is very simple and takes about an hour.
- Step 1 – Preheat the oven. It should be set to 400 degrees.
- Step 2 – After cutting and preparing the squash, season each half with olive oil, salt and paper.
- Step 3 – Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Step 4 – Cook for 40 to 60 minutes until the squash is fork tender and you can easily remove from the sides.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
How to cook Spaghetti Squash in the Slow Cooker
The crock pot is a great method for cooking spaghetti squash if you plan to be away. It is also helpful if you just don’t want to heat up the oven.
This method is a bit different as the entire squash is placed in the crock pot whole. You do not cut the squash prior to cooking in the slow cooker.
- Step 1 – Wash the squash. Then poke holes all over the outside of the squash using a fork or knife.
- Step 2 – Place the whole squash in the slow cooker.
- Step 3 – Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours.
- Step 4 – Remove from the crock pot and put on a cutting board.
- Step 5 – Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Step 6 – Shred the squash with a fork. It is very easy to do and will look lke spaghetti squash.
Find more detailed instructions below.
How to cook spaghetti squash in the Instant pot
Try this easy method when you are short on time. The pressure cooker cooks spaghetti squash in only 5 minutes.
This is definitely the fastest method of the three.
- Step 1 – Prepare the squash by cutting in half lengthwise. Then scoop out all of the seeds.
- Step 2 – Place the halves cut side up in the pressure cooker.
- Step 3 – This method requires 1 cup of water. Pour this into the instant pot.
- Step 4 – Cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 – Do a quick release once finished cooking.
- Step 6 – Shred the squash with a fork and enjoy.
Find more tips and tricks for cooking spaghetti squash in the instant pot below.
How to season spaghetti squash:
There are so many options for seasoning spaghetti squash. These are just a few of our favorites. Feel free to use your favorite seasoning.
- Salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Garlic powder and olive oil.
- Butter and parmesan cheese.
- Italian seasoning and olive oil.
- Fresh herbs and butter.
It is actually good plain. This is a really flavorful side dish. I think you might be surprised how delicious it is.
You do not need a lot of seasonings and it is so easy. This is the simplest recipe and so yummy.
How to serve spaghetti squash:
The ideas are endless for serving spaghetti squash. It is such a healthy, low carb option for many meals.
- Spaghetti. Skip the pasta and serve this homemade spaghetti sauce with spaghetti squash instead.
- Chicken Parmesan. Enjoy this popular Italian dish served over spaghetti squash. We love Chicken Parmesan with this low carb option.
- Shrimp Alfredo. Toss shrimp and alfredo sauce with spaghetti squash for a healthier option.
- Salmon. Serve salmon with butter spaghetti squash noodles and a veggie.
- Squash bowl. We love to leave the spaghetti squash in the skin and shred. Top with marinara sauce and cheese.
Bake until the cheese is melted and serve right in the squash. The kids love this.
The Easiest ways to cook spaghetti squash.
Now, you know the easiest and best ways to cook spaghetti squash. It is so simple to make this easy side dish for any recipe you prefer.
Try it the next time you want a healthy alternative to serve with meals. It is very good and you might be surprised how much the kids like it.
Once shredded, it really looks like noodles. The texture is similar to spaghetti noodles and makes serving it very easy.
Which cooking method do you prefer to use? Leave a comment once you make this and tell us how it turned out.