This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Bolognese Sauce Recipe is a delicious and easy to make meat sauce that is delicious topped on any pasta. Simple ingredients makes this stovetop recipe a family favorite.
Spaghetti is a meal that we make on a weekly basis. Making this meat sauce from scratch makes our spaghetti dinner taste that much better. This meat sauce is rich, hearty and can be made in a variety of ways.
Table of Contents
What is Bolognese Sauce?
Bolognese Sauce is very similar to a traditional spaghetti meat sauce recipe. Italian Recipes Bolognese Sauce may include carrots and celery with a little milk. This is the best Bolognese sauce you will make because of the simple ingredients.
The combination of the ingredients gives this recipe so much flavor. It is thick, hearty and perfect tossed with your favorite pasta.
- Ground Beef
- Onion, finely diced
- Crushed Tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- Tomato paste (12 oz.)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- Red Wine
- Chicken Broth
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full list of ingredients and recipe.
- Change the Meat – We made this sauce with ground beef, but feel free to change it to what you prefer. We like to make this sauce with Italian Sausage, Ground Pork, Veal, or Ground Turkey.
- Chicken Broth – Feel free to change the broth to chicken stock or you can also beef broth.
- Seasoning – Feel free to use seasoning that you prefer. Italian seasoning blend is perfect, but you can also add in oregano, cloves garlic, and fresh basil.
- Heavy Cream – For a creamy sauce texture, add in heavy whipping cream. You can also add in diced cream cheese.
- Dry White Wine – Substitute the red wine for dry white wine for an easy substitutions.
- Vegetables – This sauce is traditionally made with added vegetables. It is also a great way to sneak in chopped broccoli or bell peppers.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Brown the ground beef with the diced onion and celery in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high until no longer pink. Crumble the beef as it cooks and drain off any excess grease.
- Step 2 – Stir the remaining ingredients in the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Step 3 – Bring the mixture to a low boil and make sure you are stirring occasionally.
- Step 4 – Reduce the heat to a medium-low heat and simmer. Cook for 1.5-2 hours to allow the flavors to mend and for the sauce to thicken.
- Step 5 – Remove from the heat. Serve over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy!
- Cooking Ground Beef – Before adding in the remaining ingredients, brown the ground beef with the onions. The great thing about this recipe is everything is cooked in the same pot. Which makes cleanup a breeze.
- Cooking Noodles – This sauce is delicious served with your favorite pasta. Cook the pasta in a separate large pot over medium high heat until cooked al dente and according to the package. Toss with olive oil before serving to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Heating Sauce – After adding all the sauce ingredients, allow the sauce to heat for about 2 hours. This allows for the flavors to marinate together giving the sauce the best flavors.
After making the sauce it is now ready to serve with your favorite noodles. Toss with your traditional spaghetti noodles, pappardelle, tagliatelle, or any pasta you prefer.
Make sure to add a side of Homemade Artisan Bread, Caesar Salad, and Air Fryer Broccoli for a complete meal idea. Top the Bolognese Sauce with parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese for delicious flavor.
Other Cooking Methods:
We love that this tomato base sauce can be made in many different ways with a variety of ingredients. If you prefer you can easily add the ingredients to a slow cook and cook on low for about 6 hours.
I love this method as I can start it in the morning and it is ready when I get home. We have made Crock Pot Turkey Bolognese Recipe with Zoodles for a low carb option.
You can also make it in the instant pot for a quick and easy meal idea. It cooks on high pressure for about 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite noodles and homemade bread.
Can I Make Ahead?
This delicious sauce can easily be made ahead of time. I love to meal prep for the week and this sauce is perfect cook on the weekends so it is ready to reheat during the week.
This rich and hearty sauce is perfect to serve for parties or for an easy weeknight meal.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the homemade bolognese sauce in an airtight container for up to 5-7 days.
This is a great sauce to make ahead of time. Prepare the sauce and allow it cool to room temperature. Then place the sauce in a freezer safe container. We do not recommend freezing the noodles as the texture of the noodles when thawing will be mushy. Check out Can you Freeze Spaghetti Sauce for more tips.
When you ready to reheat the sauce, place in a saucepan to reheat on the stovetop. You can also reheat in the microwave depending on how much you are reheating. If the sauce is frozen, allow it to thaw overnight when ready to serve.
Yes, this a great recipe to double so you can freeze the other half. I love to already have the sauce prepared to make my busy night even easier.
More Easy Spaghetti Recipes:
We love hearing from you. If you make this Bolognese Sauce Recipe, please leave a comment or a star review.
- Brown the ground beef with the diced onion in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high until no longer pink. Crumble the beef as it cooks and drain off any excess grease.
- Stir the remaining ingredients in the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for 1.5-2 hours to allow the flavors to mend and for the sauce to thicken.
- Remove from the heat. Serve over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe