This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce Recipe in minutes thanks to this easy recipe and the pressure cooker. This delicious pressure cooker bolognese sauce comes together in under 20 minutes for a hearty meal.
Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce Recipe
This is one of those recipes that can sound a bit fancy and even intimidating. Don’t let the word bolognese intimidate you because this recipe is actually very simple.
We love pressure cooking as it has been a game changer for my family. The flavors of this sauce cooking in the instant pot taste like it has simmer on the stove top all day.
Take your classic spaghetti sauce up a notch with the classic bolognese sauce recipe. Serve with your favorite noodles, side dishes and vegetables for a complete meal idea.
What is Bolognese Sauce?
This is a meat based sauce for Italian recipes. It is a type of thick sauce with meat, tomatoes and spices. The delicious sauce is mixed with spaghetti for a delicious meal idea.
This recipe is made as dairy free, but you can also add in heavy cream to thicken the sauce.
Ingredients for Bolognese Sauce
- Ground Beef
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Minced Garlic
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- Red Wine or Beef Broth
How to Make Easy Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce:
- Step 1 – Brown Ground Beef – Turn your Instant pot to the Sauté setting. Brown the beef until no longer pink. If you are adding in onion, carrots and celery cook them tender before adding in meat.
- Step 2 – Add Ingredients – Next, add in all the other ingredients except the pasta to the Instant pot.
- Step 3 – Close Lid – Add the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Step 4 – High Pressure Cook – Set the pressure to 10 minutes.
- Step 5 – Quick Release – Do a quick release to release pressure.
- Step 6 – Stir to combine all of the browned bits from bottom of the pot.
- Step 7 – Serve over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy.
What is the Difference Between Spaghetti Sauce and Bolognese Sauce?
Spaghetti sauce is a meatless tomato base sauce. Bolognese sauce is always made with meat. We use ground beef but you can also use other types of meat.
How to Freeze Bolognese Sauce:
Simply place it in a freezer bag and freeze any leftovers. We actually make double so we can have some for the freezer. You will be so glad you did this during busy weeks.
I like to use the bags because they lay flat and take up less room in the freezer. However, you can use containers if you prefer.
Bolognese Instant Pot Recipe Tips:
- Ground Beef – We cook the ground beef directly in the pressure cooker. You can also cook in a skillet if you prefer. We recommend choosing a lean ground beef but still providing flavor to the mixture.
- Combine Ingredients – After cooking the beef, mix with the other ingredients directly in the instant pot. At this time, do not mix in noodles.
- Cooking Noodles – Cook the noodles separately in a large pot or dutch oven. Make sure to cook the noodles according to the package and al dente. This will prevent the noodles from being mushy.
- Noodles – We like to mix the noodles with the sauce, but you can easily keep everything separately. If you plan on freezing this recipe, I would keep it separate.
- Ground Beef – We used ground beef in this recipe, but you can easily change to ground turkey. I have even done half ground turkey and half ground beef and no body could taste the difference. You can even use Italian Sausage or ground pork.
- Add in Vegetables – This recipe would be delicious with adding in vegetables. We recommend chopped carrots, celery, and more. Add them in with the meat so they cook tender.
- Seasoning – We used dried seasoning to make this recipe, but you can easily add in fresh herbs. To enhance the depth of flavor add in basil, cloves garlic, and oregano.
- Spicy Sauce – If you prefer to have a sauce that has an extra kick. Add in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Creamy Texture – If you prefer a creamy texture and tastes, you can easily add in heavy cream or cream cheese. If you are adding in one of these ingredients, add it towards the end of the cooking time.
The Best Instant Pot To Use:
I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart if you prefer. However, if you plan to make a double batch, the larger size would be better.
I use my instant pot all the time and it’s become one of my favorite kitchen appliances. In the past, I would get busy and forget to take something out of the freezer.
Now that I have the instant pot, dinner can be ready fast. It only takes a short amount of time to cook. Using the pressure cooker but it taste like it was slow cooked all day.
Can I Prepare on the Stove Top?
Yes, this is a great recipe to let simmer all day. We like to prepare in the dutch oven or a large pot for an easy clean up. You can easily saute the ground beef in the pan and then add in the remaining ingredients.
Once the sauce is prepared, mix with your favorite noodles and serve with a side dish.
What to Serve with Spaghetti Bolognese?
Spaghetti Bolognese is a delicious sauce that can be made in a variety of ways. It can also be served with different types of noodles and side dishes. Make sure to top with parmesan cheese for delicious flavor.
Here are some of our favorite options that a must try.
- Noodles – This thick meat sauce is delicious served with your favorite noodles. We have mixed with spaghetti squash for a low carb option. You can also mix with Tagliatelle noodle which is a thicker noodles. Another low carb option is zucchini noodles. I love the flavor and added bonus of it being a vegetables.
- Breadsticks – Everyone will love it when you serve this Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe. It is the perfect combination of garlic bread and the gooey deliciousness of cheese sticks.
- Roasted Vegetables – Make a side of roasted broccoli or asparagus to complete your meal. It is a light side dish and pairs perfectly with this spaghetti recipe.
How to Store Leftovers:
This Bolognese Sauce is even better the next day. Place the leftover sauce in an air tight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
If we are making it for lunches for the week. You can place cooked noodles in individual container and top with this sauce. It reheats really well in the microwave for a delicious lunch on the go.
Why You Will Love this Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients – We love that this meat sauces is made with simple ingredients. The ingredients are easy to change to what you prefer and still be delicious.
- Quick and Easy – Skip the drive-thru and make this delicious bolognese recipes at home. It takes less time cooking in the instant pot than it does to get to a fast food restaurant.
- Amazing Flavor – The combination of the ingredients makes this sauce one of our favorites. Mixing with the pasta makes for a hearty meal idea.
- Meal Prep – This is a great recipe to double to freeze. You can also make individual containers for an easy lunch for the week.
Print Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese:
Instant pot Bolognese Sauce
- Turn your Instant pot to the sauté setting. Brown the beef until no longer pink. Drain off the excess grease.
- Add in all the other ingredients to the Instant pot.
- Add the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pressure to 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release to release pressure.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Vegetable Soup
- Mississippi Roast Instant Pot Recipe