This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
McDonald’s Egg McMuffin is a delicious breakfast sandwich. English muffin is topped with egg, Canadian bacon and cheese for an easy copycat recipe.
Copycat McDonald’s Egg McMuffin Recipe:
This Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe can easily be made at home with this simple copycat recipe. This recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients. There is no need to sit through the drive-thru at this fast food restaurant, when you can easily make it at home.
We love this McMuffin Recipe as it can be made with different ingredients and can easily be made ahead of time. Making this copycat recipe at home allows you to change the ingredients to fit any diet restrictions.
If you are needing a new breakfast recipe, make this copycat Egg McMuffin recipe. Perfect on the go breakfast and always a family favorite.
Easy Homemade Recipe for Egg McMuffin:
Homemade Egg McMuffin is loaded with flavor. A toasted English Muffin is layered with a round egg, Canadian Bacon and slice cheese to make a delicious breakfast sandwich.
We love making these at home as it saves me time, money and they taste better too. You can easily change the cheese, egg, and meat to what you have on hand. Delicious breakfast sandwich that can be prepared ahead of time.
Ingredients for Egg McMuffin:
- Butter (softened & divided)
- English Muffins
- Slices Canadian Bacon
- Large Eggs
- Slices American Cheese
How to Make an Egg McMuffin:
- Step 1 – Toast English Muffins – Split open the English muffins and toast them in a toaster. Then spread butter on the toasted English Muffins
- Step 3 – Heat Canadian Bacon – Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the Canadian bacon on both sides for 1-2 minutes in 2 teaspoons of the butter until the bacon is slightly browned.
- Step 4 – Add butter to Skillet – Place 1 piece of Canadian bacon on each English muffin. Then place 1 tablespoon of the butter in the same skillet where you cooked the bacon.
- Step 5 – Cook Egg – Place a mason jar lid or an egg ring into the skillet and spray it with a non-stick cooking spray. Crack an egg into the rings. Then pour the water into the skillet and place a lid on top. Cover for 2-3 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Step 6 – Top egg on muffin – Carefully remove the eggs from the rings (the rings will be hot) and place the cooked eggs on each piece of Canadian bacon. Then top each egg with one slice of American cheese and the top part of the English muffin.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
How do you Make the Eggs:
If you want your eggs to round like McDonalds, then you will need to cook them a canning jar lid or an egg ring. The ring is placed on a warm skillet, then crack the egg in the ring.
While the egg is cooking the ring, break the yolk. The results will be an egg that is round which is similar to McDonald’s Egg McMuffin.
- Change the Meat – You can easily use breakfast sausage patties or bacon instead of Canadian bacon in this recipe if you prefer.
- Egg – You can easily make this recipe with a fried egg instead of cooking the egg in a canning jar lid. Egg whites or scramble eggs can also be substituted for eggs.
- English Muffin – We used the standard English Muffin in this recipe, but you use a biscuit or a low carb option.
- Cheese Slices – Feel free to change the cheese in this recipe. American cheese is great, but for an extra kick in the recipe add a slice of Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Jelly – For a sweet and savory flavor, spread grape or strawberry jelly on the English Muffin.
What to Serve with Egg McMuffin?
This breakfast sandwich is delicious for a breakfast on the go. But you can also serve for dinner or really anytime. These are some of my favorite sides:
- Fruit Salad
- Green Smoothie
- Yogurt Parfait
Egg McMuffin Tips:
- Toast the Muffins – Before I prepare these Egg McMuffin, I toast the muffins in the toaster. This gives them the perfect amount of crisp that we love. You can spread butter on them or leave them dry.
- Cooking Canadian Bacon – Heat the Canadian Bacon in the skillet for just a few minutes until browned.
- Cooking Eggs – To create a round egg, you need to cook it in a mason jar lid or a egg ring. Make sure to cover the skillet to cook both sides of the eggs.
- Serving – This breakfast sandwich is best served warm.
How to Store Leftovers:
These are great to make ahead for the week. Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. We recommend wrapping in foil and then place in the container for best results.
How to Freeze and Reheat Egg McMuffin:
These Egg McMuffins freeze great and perfect for breakfast on the go. If you like to meal prep, include these breakfast sandwiches for your weekly menu.
Prepare the Egg McMuffins are indicated and then wrap the individually in plastic wrap. Place in a freeze safe gallon size zip lock freezer bag. They will stay fresh for about 2 months.
When you are ready to serve, simply place the frozen wrapped McMuffin in the microwave and reheat. It takes about 2 minutes to reheat and you have a delicious breakfast.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, when purchasing a Egg McMuffin from McDonald’s it is made with real eggs.
The best option to making a round egg is with a canning jar lid. You can place them in a hot skillet and the egg cooks perfectly round.
We like using Canadian Bacon as it is round and adds the perfect savory flavor to the McMuffin. But you can easily use any type of meat.
Print Recipe for McDonald’s Egg McMuffin:
McDonald’s Egg McMuffin
- 4 Tablespoons Butter softened & divided
- 4 English Muffins
- 4 Slices Canadian Bacon
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Water
- 4 Slices American Cheese
- Split open the English muffins and toast them in a toaster. Then spread butter on the toasted English Muffins
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the Canadian bacon on both sides for 1-2 minutes in 2 teaspoons of the butter until the bacon is slightly browned.
- Place 1 piece of Canadian bacon on each English muffin. Then place 1 tablespoon of the butter in the same skillet where you cooked the bacon.
- Place a canning lid or an egg ring into the skillet and spray it with a non-stick cooking spray. Crack an egg into the rings. Then pour the water into the skillet and place a lid on top. Cover for 2-3 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Carefully remove the eggs from the rings (the rings will be hot) and place the cooked eggs on each piece of Canadian bacon. Then top each egg with one slice of American cheese and the top part of the English muffin.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe