This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs is the ultimate twist on your meatball recipe. This delicious appetizer is cheesy, flavorful and easy to make.
Easy Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs Recipe:
We love making meatballs for many different occasions. They are great as an appetizer and can even be served over spaghetti noodles or zucchini noodles.
This mozzarella stuffed meatball recipe is loaded with flavor. Cubes of mozzarella cheese is wrapped in a meat mixture for a gooey, cheesy meatball. The ingredients are simple and always a family favorite.
These meatballs are tender, juicy and full of Italian flavors. Kick up your classic meatball recipe by adding a cheese cube. It really makes it the ultimate way to enjoy your favorite meatballs.
- Lean Ground Beef
- Large Egg, beaten
- Plain Bread Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- Mozzarella Cheese (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- Marinara Sauce (homemade or store bought)
How to Make Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Step 3 – Combine Meat Mixture – In a large bowl, stir together the beef, egg, and breadcrumbs. Then add in parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until just combined (do not over mix).
- Step 4 – Roll into a ball – Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. Roll it into a ball and place a piece of the cheese into the center of the ball.
- Step 5 – Place on baking sheet – Place the prepared meatball on the baking sheet. Continue this process until all the meat mixture and cheese are used.
- Step 6 – Bake Meatballs – Bake for 15-20 minutes (flipping halfway) until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center. Watch them closely so that the cheese does not spill out while they are cooking.
- Step 7 – Heat Sauce – Heat the marinara sauce in a small saucepan.
- Step 8 – Serve and enjoy – Serve the meatballs topped with the marinara sauce and enjoy.
How to Serve Meatballs:
Meatballs can be served in many different ways. You can easily serve as is or with one of these family favorite options.
- Tomato Sauce – You can place the meatballs in a bowl and pour the tomato sauce over the top. We have even served tomato sauce as a dipping sauce with the meatballs.
- Marinara Sauce – If you love spaghetti and meatballs, this is the recipe to make. Make a large pot of pasta noodles and then serve this meatballs on top with marinara sauce. Add a side of garlic bread for a complete meal idea.
- Roasted Vegetables – If you are looking for a low carb meatballs option. Serve these meatballs with a side of roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus.
- Casserole – If love meatballs as much as my family, make it in a casserole for a delicious main dish.
- Appetizer – You can easily make this as an appetizer. I like to serve for our family and friends. Add dipping sauces and have a jar of toothpicks for an easy appetizer to serve.
- Meatball Sub – Add these meatballs on a hoagie and top with more cheese and toast. Then serve with marinara sauce for a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
- Mini Meatballs – Roll the meatball mixture into a mini size to make meatballs sliders. Serve with roasted vegetables or French fries for a delicious meal idea.
Stuffed Meatballs with Mozzarella Recipe Tips:
- Mixing Ingredients – For best results, we recommend not over mixing the meat with the seasoning in a large mixing bowl. This keeps the meatballs from drying out and tender.
- Baking Sheet – For best results, we recommend preparing the baking sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray. This makes for an easy cleanup and removing the meatballs from the pan.
- Cover the Cheese – Cover the cheese completely with the meat mixture.
- Flip the Meatballs – To make sure all sides cook, we recommend flipping the meatballs halfway through the cooking time.
- Forming the Meatballs – We recommend scooping the meatballs with a cooking scoop so that they are about the same size. This helps to make sure that the meatballs cook evenly.
- Change the Meat – We recommend using lean ground beef. You can also use Italian sausage, make chicken meatballs, or ground turkey. We have even mixed in ground pork for delicious flavor.
- Spicy Meatballs – If you want a kick to your mozzarella meatballs, then add in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Seasoning – Feel free to add in other types of seasoning. You can add in fresh basil, chopped onion powder, and more.
- Keto Meatballs – If you want to make these meatballs more keto friendly, you can use almond flour.
- Fresh Mozzarella – We love to use fresh mozzarella but you can also use shredded mozzarella. Just make sure to shred it yourself for the best flavor and we think it melts better.
Why are my Meatballs dry and tough?
Meatballs will get dry and tough when they are cooked to long. Make sure to watch the meatballs when cooking and flipping the meatballs. You want to cook the meatballs right up to the cooking time and then remove them.
This will help to keep the meatballs moist and full of flavor. They will continue cook as they are resting on the baking sheet before serving.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5-7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions:
To keep the meatballs from falling apart, it is best to mix ingredients with an egg. The breadcrumbs also help to keep the meatballs from falling apart.
This may happen still, but we recommend making sure that the cheese cubes is completely covered. If you see the cheese cubes after wrapping the meat mixture then the cheese will melt out.
Yes, this a great recipe to place in the freezer. I like to flash freeze the meatballs by placing on a baking sheet. Freeze for about an hour and then remove and place in freezer storage bag. Then you can easily take out what you want to serve.
Print Recipe for Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs:
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Large Egg beaten
- 1/3 cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley chopped
- 6 ounces Mozzarella Cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce homemade or store bought
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the beef, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until just combined (do not over mix).
- Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. Roll it into a ball and place a piece of the cheese into the center of the ball.
- Place the prepared meatball on the baking sheet. Continue this process until all the meat mixture and cheese are used.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (flipping halfway) until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center. Watch them closely so that the cheese does not spill out while they are cooking.
- Heat the marinara sauce in a small saucepan.
- Serve the meatballs topped with the marinara sauce and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe