This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make a mug cake and you can enjoy a single serve dessert any time you have a sweet craving. In under 5 minutes, you can make a cake from scratch that is so easy and delicious.
Learn how to make a mug cake
I love baking from scratch, but sometimes it can get messy. Yes, boxed mixes are easy and yes, they do taste pretty good, but there is just a pleasant satisfaction I get when I make something from scratch.
Now, cake is not my favorite thing to make from scratch, so I had to find a way to make it more appealing. How about making a single serve version that you can prepare and eat in under 10 minute.
I would say under 5 minutes, but if you don’t let this cool a little you will surely burn your mouth. Trust me on that one.
Anyway, this is so easy and delicious you will want to make it over and over again. Enjoy.
Ingredients for Microwave mug cake
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- peanut butter
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
How to make a mug cake from scratch
- First, make sure you have a microwave safe mug to make your cake in. We have tons of these in our cabinet so the kids like to choose their own to use. This recipe is just so fun and the kids especially like having their own personal size cake to eat.
- Second, mix the wet and dry ingredients in the mug. Be careful not to overmix. It is that simple to make this delicious cake. I bet you already have those ingredients at home such as oil and vanilla.
- You will be amazed what a little baking powder and salt , flour sugar and more can do and how quickly these ingredients come together for a great cake.
- All of the sugar cocoa powder baking and simmering together make a decadent cake that can’t be beat.
- Microwave on high for just 1 minute. Microwave cooking times vary. If you find that your cake is not finished cooking, microwave in 30 second intervals until it is.
Keep reading for the full recipe.
- Add white chocolate chips as a substitute or combine them with the milk chocolate.
- Try cocoa powder for extra chocolate flavor. I would start with a tablespoon.
- Add cinnamon and sugar to the cake mix for a totally different flavor if you are not in the mood for chocolate.
- Make funfetti cake by adding sprinkles. I promise that your kids will go crazy over funfetti cake in just a minute.
- Try Butterscotch or Peanut Butter Chips instead of chocolate chips.
- Substitute coconut oil for vegetable oil if you prefer. Melted butter can also be used in this chocolate cake recipe.
- Omit the chocolate and you have the best vanilla mug cake recipe. It is so tasty and reminds me of a blondie brownie.
As you can see, this recipe is so versatile and you can easily make a different type of cake. Just switch a few ingredients depending on what you are in the mood for and have a delicious cake in minutes.
The kids think it is so cool that you can make a cake in the microwave. We all like different kinds of cakes so this is such a fun and easy way to let everyone in the family get just the cake they love.
This cake in a cup recipe is so easy.
Sometimes I really want a yummy dessert but don’t want to make a full size cake because I know I will eat the leftovers. This single serve dessert is the perfect solution when you just need something sweet. It is so delicious and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
We love this easy chocolate mug cake recipe and make it all the time. The kids love that I gladly make it because it is just so simple.
- Whipped Cream – Store bought or this easy recipe for whipped cream taste great on top.
- Ice cream – Top the mug cake with your favorite scoop of ice cream. I love homemade vanilla ice cream. It reminds me of a hot fudge sundae.
- Caramel Sauce – Drizzle caramel sauce on top to make this even more decadent. Chocolate syrup is delicious too.
- Chocolate Lovers idea – Top wth chocolate ice cream and chocolate syrup.
- Nuts – Chopped walnuts or pecans tastes amazing with this.
Ice cream is a favorite topping.
My favorite way to enjoy this mug cake recipe is to serve it warm and top with vanilla ice cream. Maybe an extra drizzle of chocolate syrup or caramel sauce too.
The ice cream melts into the cake and the chocolate chips are so decadent. It is the best.
I love to make one of these simple microwave mug cakes when everyone has gone to bed and just sit and enjoy. It is the perfect late night snack.
Try this simple Easy cake in a cup recipe.
That is the beauty of this microwave mug cake recipe. You can easily change it to suit anyone’s taste.
The kids love a cold glass of milk or almond milk with their cake.
I’m certain that however you enjoy this amazing cake, you will love it. Once you try it, this recipe will quickly become a family favorite.
From yellow mug cake to chocolate chip and peanut butter and more, this simple recipe can be made so many different ways. It is simple and easy and just delicious.
The kids can help because this recipe is so easy. In fact, our family loves baking and the kids look forward to helping bake this easy microwave mug cake.
If you have children that are wanting to learn how to bake or just getting started with cooking, this is a great recipe to let them try. It is so much fun to bake and what sweet memories you and the children will have for years to come.
I’m always amazed at the creations they come up with. I tend to make the same kind of cake each time but they love mixing it up and trying new things each week.
Another fun idea if you are having a sleepover or small party, let everyone make their own cake.
The kids will think you are the best when really it was super easy and hardly any work at all.
Print this Mug Cake Recipe below:
How to make a Mug Cake From Scratch
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large mug.
- Add wet ingredients in the order listed: milk, oil, peanut butter, egg, vanilla. Mix until just moistened. Do not over mix.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and give one good stir. I used a small palm-ful of chips.
- Cook in microwave for 1 minute on high. Depending on the wattage of your microwave it my take a bit longer to cook. I used a 1200 watt microwave and my cake was done after 1 minute. If your cake is not done after 1 minute, continue to cook in 30 second intervals until cooked through.
- This might not be a typical cake consistency for you as it is spongy more than moist. Believe me though, this is oh so delicious and definitely worth a try. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe