This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Tortellini Pasta Salad is the perfect cold pasta salad to bring to your next BBQ. It is loaded with fresh vegetables, pasta and delicious dressing.
Easy Cold Tortellini Salad Recipe:
This colorful fresh tortellini salad is loaded with flavor. The tortellini is cooked in a large pot of salted water and then drained. It is then mixed with vegetables and dressing to create a delicious pasta salad.
Anytime we are planning a BBQ, we always like to prepare a delicious pasta salad. This tortellini salad is one of my favorites to make. It is easy to prepare in a large bowl ahead of time with simple ingredients.
There are many ways to make this pasta salad side dish. You can even add chicken for a quick and easy dinner idea. The next time you need an easy pasta salad for a potluck, make this Tortellini Pasta Salad.
- Refrigerated Cheese Tortellini
- Baby Spinach (chopped)
- Handful Fresh Basil Leaves (chopped)
- Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half)
- Red Onion (chopped)
- Italian Dressing
- Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
How to Make Tortellini Salad:
- Step 1 – Cook the Tortellini – Boil the tortellini pasta in a large pot based on the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water until the pasta is cooled off.
- Step 2 – Mix Pasta with Vegetables – Add the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir in the spinach, basil, cherry tomatoes and red onions.
- Step 3 – Top with onions and Dressing – Drizzle the onions on top. Then gently stir to coat the pasta and veggies with the dressing mixture.
- Step 4 – Chill – Chill until ready to serve.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – When serving, top with the shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
How do you know Tortellini is ready?
Tortellini cooking times will vary depending on the type of tortellini you get. Make sure to read the instructions on the package. Make sure to always cook pasta in boiling water.
- Refrigerated Pasta – If you purchase refrigerated pasta it will cook in about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Frozen Pasta – If you buy frozen pasta it will cook in about 5 minutes.
- Dried Pasta – If your tortellini is dry, it will take about 10 minutes to cook.
You will know your pasta is done cooking when the tortellini floats to the surface of the water.
Tortellini Salad Recipe Tips:
- Pasta – Prepare pasta according to the package and water to a boil. To keep the pasta from sticking together, you can add in extra virgin olive oil or salt.
- Prepare Vegetables – We recommend preparing and chopping your vegetables ahead of time. This allows you to easily toss that ingredients together with the pasta.
- Chill Pasta – This pasta dish is best to prepare ahead of time, so you can give time for it to chill. We think it taste better when the dressing has time to marinate in the pasta.
- Tortellini – Store bought tortellini is easy to find at the store. It is usually located in the dairy section of the store.
- Preparing Pasta Salad – Make sure that the pasta is at room temperature before mixing with the other ingredients.
Can you Eat Tortellini Cold?
Tortellini is a delicious pasta that can be enjoyed both cold or hot. You can serve it with a pasta sauce or plain. We cooked the pasta in this recipe and then cooled to room temperature. Mixed with vegetables and dressing for a delicious pasta salad.
- Dressing – You can easily change the dressing for this pasta salad. We used a simple Italian Dressing but you can make a dressing with lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Add in Italian seasoning and some fresh herbs for a delicious twist on this recipe. A balsamic vinegar dressing would also be delicious.
- Pesto Tortellini Salad – For a delicious twist on this recipe, mix in some pesto for added flavor.
- Add in Ingredients – Feel free to taste and add in other vegetables. We have added in bell peppers, cucumbers, and artichoke hearts. Slice black olives would also be a nice addition.
- Cheese – We used parmesan cheese but you can also add in feta cheese or mozzarella cheese or mozzarella balls.
- Add in Meats – For a complete meal idea, add in leftover cooked chicken or salami. Sliced pepperoni would also be a delicious idea.
- Spicy – If you want your pasta to have a little bit of kick to it, mix in some red pepper flakes. You can also add in slice jalapenos for added flavor.
Is Tortellini Fully Cooked?
Tortellini needs to be cooked when purchased from the store. You will cook the tortellini according to the package and al dente but make sure to not overcook it.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Why we Love this Pasta Salad Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients – If you are looking for a pasta salad that is has simple ingredients, this is the one to make. The colorful vegetables mixed with the pasta makes for an eye pleasing pasta salad.
- Tortellini Pasta – We love serving tortellini because of how hearty it is. You can easily serve as a side dish but hearty enough to serve as a main dish.
- Easy to Prepare – Simple steps makes this pasta salad easy to make. You can easily make the ingredients ahead of time and then combine the ingredients when ready to serve.
Print Recipe for Tortellini Salad:
Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Boil the tortellini pasta in a large pot based on the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water until the pasta is cooled off.
- Add the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir in the spinach, basil, cherry tomatoes and red onions.
- Drizzle the onions on top and gently stir to coat the pasta and veggies with the dressing mixture.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- When serving, top with the shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe