This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad is loaded with pasta, fresh vegetables and a light dressing. This cold pasta salad is perfect for your next BBQ or potluck.
Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad Recipe:
We love to make a classic pasta salad mix, but this Cowboy Caviar Pasta salad is loaded with so much more. This salad is loaded with fresh vegetables, pasta and more. It is light and refreshing and my go-to pasta salad.
This pasta salad can easily prepared in meal prep for the week. It is light and refreshing and the perfect side dish. We have even served it as a light lunch.
This Texas Caviar Pasta Salad is sure to be a hit for any occasion. If you are looking to change up your macaroni salad recipe, make this Cowboy Caviar pasta salad.
What is Cowboy Caviar?
You may have heard cowboy caviar called Texas caviar. It was created by a lady in Texas who was asked to bring a salad to a gathering. It had to have black-eye peas in it.
So we added other ingredients to hide the taste of black eye peas. That is why it is called cowboy caviar because it was created in Texas.
This pasta salad cowboy caviar is full of great ingredients.
- Rotini Pasta (16 ounces)
- Cherry Tomatoes (chopped)
- Black Beans (15 ounces, drained and rinsed)
- Black Eyed Peas (15 ounces, drained and rinsed)
- Corn (15 ounces, drained)
- Red Onion (chopped)
- Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Jalapeño Pepper (cleaned, seeded and chopped)
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
For the Dressing:
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Lime Juice
- Black Pepper
How to Make Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad:
- Step 1 – Prepare Pasta – Bring water to boil. Cook the pasta based on the package instructions to al dente. Rinse with cold water and let the pasta cool.
- Step 2 – Prepare Ingredients – While the pasta is cooling, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the beans and chop the vegetables and cilantro.
- Step 3 – Make Dressing – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Step 4 – Combine Ingredients – In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked pasta, beans, vegetables, corn, jalapeño pepper and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Step 5 – Stir in Dressing – Pour the dressing mixture on top and gently toss to coat the ingredients with the dressing.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Chill until ready to serve and enjoy.
- Cooking Pasta – Prepare your pasta ahead of time by cooking it the night before. Make sure to not over cook the pasta. You want it to be cooked al dente or according to the package. Make sure to rinse and drain pasta to stop it from cooking.
- Cool Pasta – Before mixing in the other ingredients and the dressing, you want to make sure your pasta has cooled.
- Vegetables – You can also prepare the vegetables by chopping them ahead of time. Make sure to chop bell peppers and red onion in about the same size.
- Prepare Dressing – If you like to plan ahead, make the salad dressing and store in the fridge. We think the dressing taste better after it has stored for a couple of hours.
- Combine Ingredients – Combine the pasta ingredients and the dressing in a large mixing bowl until everything is covered. Allow the pasta to chill before serving.
- Can Beans – We recommend that the black beans, black eye peas be drained before adding to the pasta.
Cowboy Caviar Variation Ideas:
- Vegetables – Feel free to change the vegetables or add in different options. We have used regular fresh tomato instead of cherry tomatoes.
- Avocado – Add in diced avocado for a healthy addition.
- Feta Cheese – Top the pasta with feta cheese. Feel free to add in other types of cheese when serving.
- Dressing – We used a teaspoons of olive oil, but you can use other types of oil. Avocado oil is a great substitute. You can also use Italian Dressing.
- Add in Meat – If you have leftover grilled chicken, it is a great addition to this recipe. We have even mixed in the large bowl, leftover rotisserie chicken. It add flavor and the perfect option.
- Pasta Shaped – Feel free to use different types of pasta to combine with this salad.
- Beans – We used black beans and black eye peas, but you can substitute them with a different option. Try using Navy beans or pinto beans.
- Use Fresh Corn – Can corn works in this recipe, but fresh corn is the best option. Cut it right off the cob after it has been grilled.
Can you Make ahead of time?
Yes, this is the perfect pasta to prepare ahead of time. The ingredients have time to really marinate together, resulting in a delicious pasta salad.
We actually think it taste better when prepared ahead of time. We like to make this salad at the beginning of the week and enjoy all week long.
How Long Does Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad Last:
This pasta salad will last for about 3 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store with plastic wrap over the top or in an air tight container.
How to Serve Cowboy Caviar:
- Side Dish – This a great side dish for all your summer BBQ’s. It pairs perfect with grilled meats such as chicken, steak and burgers.
- Dip – Serve with your Tex Mex recipes with tortilla chips for a delicious dip.
- Sandwiches – Serve this pasta salad for the perfect lunch or light dinner. Feel free to add in meat to make it more hearty.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Easy Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad:
This light and refreshing pasta salad is always a crowd favorite. It made with fresh ingredients and taste amazing. We love how colorful it is and the ingredients can be changed to what you prefer.
If you are looking for a pasta salad to take to your next BBQ, make this Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad. We love how simple it is to make and the amazing flavor.
Print Recipe for Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad:
Cowboy Caviar Pasta Salad
- 16 oz Rotini Pasta
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes chopped
- 1 can Black Beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black Eyed Peas 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Corn 15 ounces, drained
- 1/2 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper cleaned, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- Cook the pasta based on the package instructions to al dente. Rinse with cold water and let the pasta cool.
- While the pasta is cooling, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the beans and chop the vegetables and cilantro.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked pasta, beans, vegetables, corn, jalapeño pepper and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing mixture on top and gently toss to coat the ingredients with the dressing.
- Chill until ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe