This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make fudge with these 5 simple tips and tricks. It is so simple to make delicious fudge once you know these easy tips.
how to make fudge
Everyone loves to make this for the holiday season. If you have never made fudge, you may be afraid of making it because it seems to difficult.
The truth is, most recipes have very few ingredients and instructions – you just have to be sure to follow the directions correctly. Once you do that, everything just falls into place.
If you follow these 5 basic tips, you are bound to have it turn out perfectly. You will keep the crowds coming back for more.
1. Assemble your ingredients ahead of time
Making fudge can go pretty quickly, so you’ll want to make sure you have all of your ingredients and materials assembled before you start cooking. There is nothing worse than quickly pouring the hot ingredients into your dish, but forgetting to line it with foil and spray it (NOT cool)!
You don’t want to be scrambling to measure out ingredients while you’re in the process of making the recipe. Do yourself a favor, and pre-assemble everything you need.
This will take a lot of the stress out of making this.
2. Have the proper tools
Those are the tools to help you make it perfect every single time. You can use a sauce pan and no thermometer, but that leaves some guess work and CAN result in a recipe that does not set properly or it’s too dry.
If you don’t want to spend the money on a double boiler, why not try this Double Boiler bowl – it fits sauce pans of a variety of shapes and sizes and would be perfect for making this recipe.
3. Follow the directions exactly
If you are not new to baking, you have probably added a bit more flour here or a bit less sugar there. With this type of treat, you want to be sure to follow the directions exactly as their written.
Typically, you will need to boil the buttery mixture for 5 minutes (this is a rolling boil, 234 F). If you do not boil it long enough, it will not be hot enough the completely dissolve the chocolate and other ingredients and it will not set properly.
If you boil it for too long, it will be dryer and will crack (no one likes it dry). There aren’t many directions to follow when making this but you do want to be sure to follow them precisely.
4. Prepare your pan correctly
One of the most common mistakes when making this type of recipe is to simply pour the hot mixture into the baking dish. Now, this won’t ruin it but it makes it so much harder to cut and serve.
You will also lose a lot of it in the corners and bottom of your pan (who wants to lose any of this yummy dessert?!). The best way to prepare your baking dish is to line it with foil and then lightly spray it with cooking spray.
Once your mixture is completely set, you can simply lift the foil straight out of your dish and cut it up easily. The foil will fall away from the sides of the fudge easily and there will be virtually nothing stuck to the bottom of the foil.
This make is super easy to cut and nothing gets wasted.
5. How to store
Unlike cookies, fudge should not be left out on the counter at room temperature. If you store fudge correctly – in an air tight container in the fridge, you will be able to enjoy it for at least a week.
If you want to save your fudge even longer, you can freeze fudge. See can you freeze fudge to learn how to freeze fudge.
Try these Tips for the perfect fudge!
Have you tried to make fudge before? What have you learned?
Fell free to share any advice that you have to give others? Go ahead and try fudge again and let us know how these tips helped you make the perfect fudge.
This is the perfect fudge recipe.
Try this easy fudge recipe below. It is so yummy. You can also try some of these delicious variation ideas below.
Once you get the hang of making fudge, you will have a blast trying new types. Yum!
Fudge is not hard and does not have to be only for holidays. We love to make it year round. Give it a try.
- Salted caramel. Top the fudge with this swirled in. Not only does it look pretty but it taste really good.
- White chocolate chips- This is a tasty substitute for milk chocolate. You can also just make the fudge as normal but swirl some melted white chocolate on top. It will have a pretty marbleized look.
- Sea salt- Sprinkle sea salt on top. The combination of savory and sweet is great.
- Dark Chocolate- Use dark chocolate instead of semi sweet in the fudge. Yum!
More easy fudge recipes:
- Easy Microwave Fudge Recipe (3 Minute Fudge)
- World’s Best Chocolate Fudge
- Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
- Peanut butter Chocolate Chip fudge
- 3 Minute Microwave Fudge
- Oreo Fudge Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe
Print our easy fudge recipe:
How to make Fudge
- Line a 9″x13″ with foil or parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring sugar, butter and evaporated milk to a rolling boil over medium heat in a double boiler. Boil for approximately 5 minutes (stirring constantly) until the mixture has a temp of 234 F on a candy thermometer.
- Then remove the mixture from heat and stir in chocolate chips and marshmallow creme. Stir until well combined and completely melted.
- Next add in the vanilla extract and mix well. If you are using nuts, add them at this time too.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and let cool completely.
- Lift the foil or parchment paper out of pan and cut into small squares.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe