This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Bacon Jam is simple to make and delicious. It pairs perfectly with an assortment of cheese and crackers, grilled cheese, burgers and more.
You are going to be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to make Bacon Jam. This jam recipe takes only a few ingredients to make and turns out perfectly.
The sweet and savory taste is so wonderful and goes with an assortment of food.
What is Bacon Jam?
It is a condiment that is sweet and delicious with caramelized onions and cooked bacon. It has a jam consistency and is a very popular condiment.
You can use it for an assortment of items. It is tasty with cheese and crackers, served on burgers and grilled cheese and more. This jam is also tasty on pimento cheese dip as well.
As you can see, it is delicious with so many different things. It tastes like a sweet jam with savory bacon. The jam also has flavors of maple syrup from the bacon if maple bacon is used.
The texture is dependent on how finely you chop the onions in the food processor. It all comes together for a marvelous taste and texture.
Why you will love this recipe:
- It’s easy to make. With only a few ingredients, it is effortless to make for an easy condiment.
- Sweet and Savory. It has the best flavor combination. It is sweet and savory all in one.
- You can make this in advance. It stores easily in the fridge up to 1 week.
- Thick Cut bacon (chopped)
- Sweet Onions (diced into small pieces)
- Sherry Vinegar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
How to make Bacon Jam:
- Step 1. Cook the bacon using medium heat. After you chop the bacon, heat the bacon in a large frying pan. Cook over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Step 2. Remove the bacon from the pan. Use a slotted spoon to move the bacon from the pan to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Step 3. Remove the grease. Remove all the bacon grease from the pan except for approximately 1 tablespoon.
- Step 4. Cook the onions. Add the diced onions to the pan with the bacon grease.
- Step 5. Saute the onions until translucent. Sauté for approximately 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Step 6. Combine the bacon, onions and brown sugar mixture. Mix the bacon back into the pan, stirring occasionally in the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water.
- Step 7. Let the mixture come to a boil. Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture is thick and dark.
- Step 8. Allow to cool. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Step 9. Serve the jam. Then the jam is ready to serve and enjoy!
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat before serving the leftovers.
You can also freeze the jam up to 6 months using an airtight freezer container.
How to use Bacon Onion Jam:
- Pair with cheese and crackers. Serve it alongside brie or goat cheese and your favorite hearty crackers.
- Grilled Cheese. Add some to your grilled cheese sandwich before you cook it.
- Burgers. It is a delicious condiment on burgers.
- Pimento Cheese. It pairs perfectly with pimento cheese. Either add some to your sandwich or serve the pimento cheese as a dip with bacon jam.
- Charcuterie Board. This is the perfect accompaniment to a charcuterie board.
- Sandwich Spread. It is the perfect spread to add to roast beef sandwiches or turkey sandwiches.
- Pork Chops. Top pork chops with this delicious bacon jam.
- Fried Egg Sandwich. It pairs well with egg. Slather some on the bread or on top of the egg for a delicious meal.
Tips and Tricks
- Thick Cut Bacon. We recommend using thick sliced bacon in this recipe. It will give the bacon the hearty texture this jam is known for.
- Onions. Sweet Onions add to the sweetness in this jam. Vidalia is a good, sweet onion to use. You can swap this out for another type but please note it will change the flavor.
- Light or Dark Brown Sugar. Either option is great and you can use the one you prefer. There will be more of a molasses flavor in dark brown sugar.
- Adjust the flavor. If you prefer it sweeter, reduce the amount of vinegar in the recipe. If you prefer a savory condiment, reduce the brown sugar and add extra vinegar.
- Add some heat. Kick things up a level and add chili powder or cayenne pepper to the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
It will last up to a week in the fridge. Just make sure to store it inside an airtight container.
You can use apple cider vinegar instead if you prefer. However, it will not have the same taste and color as balsamic adds. Balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweetness to the jam.
The jam is typically served cold but it is also delicious warm or room temperature.
While there are several methods to cook bacon, the stovetop method is best for this recipe. It allows you to cook the bacon perfectly for the jam.
Also, it is easy to reserve a portion of the bacon grease for the recipe.
Print this Bacon Jam Recipe below:
- 12 ounces Thick Cut bacon chopped
- 2 Sweet Onions diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat the bacon in a large frying pan over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to move the bacon from the pan to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Remove all the bacon grease from the pan except for approximately 1 tablespoon.
- Add the diced onions to the pan with the bacon grease.
- Sauté for approximately 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Mix the bacon back into the pan and stir in the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is thick and dark.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Then the jam is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe