This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy your favorite fast food burger when you make this In-N-Out Burger recipe. From the burger sauce to the flavor packed beef patties, this copycat recipe is the best.
In-N-Out Burger recipe
Everything you love about the famous In-N-Out Burgers is packed into this easy to make recipe. You can save money and time by learning how to make this delicious burger at home.
With a few simple steps, this recipe comes together without much preparation. It is amazing and sure to be a crowd pleaser. Don’t forget to make the meal complete and make these Copycat In-N-Out Animal Style Fries.
What is on an In-N-Out Burger?
It is a thin ground beef patty cooked on the griddle and topped with gooey cheese. Each burger is loaded with toppings such as tomato, onion, lettuce and more. The secret sauce on top completes the burger for an authentic experience.
In-N-Out is a fast food restaurant known for their fresh ingredients and burgers made individually. Fans of this popular restaurant will love being able to make these burgers at home.
FOR THE BURGER:
- Ground Beef 80/20
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- American Cheese
- Large Sliced Tomato
- Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- White Onion, sliced
- Hamburger Buns
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- White Vinegar
How to make In-N-Out Burger at home:
- Step 1. Make the patties loosely. Form the ground beef into 4 balls approximately ¼ pound each.
- Step 2. Make the sauce. Combine the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Make sure the mayonnaise ketchup and all ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Step 3. Prepare the griddle. Preheat a large skillet, cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Drizzle the olive oil in the pan to prevent the burger from sticking.
- Step 4. Warm the buns. Place the buns on the preheated pan for 2 minutes to toast them. Then set them aside while you prepare the beef for this recipe.
- Step 5. Place the beef patties in the pan. Finally, place the patties in the pan. Then top each with a piece of parchment paper. Firmly press down to smash the beef into a thin patty.
You can use a burger press or a large spatula and then discard the parchment paper. Season the patties generously with salt and pepper.
- Step 6. Cook the burgers. Cook the patties for 2 minutes until the juices in the beef start to raise to the top and the color starts to change. Then scrape under the patty to get under the caramelized parts and flip the patty.
Once flipped, do not smash down the patties again. Cook for 1 more minute and place 2 slices of cheese on each of the patties. Finally, cook for 1 more minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Step 7. Assemble the burgers. Finally, it is time to assemble your burgers. Spread the sauce on the bottom of the toasted bun. Feel free to be generous with the sauce because it is delicious.
Then add lettuce to the top bun along with tomatoes, patty and onions. Add the bottom bun to the topped patty and enjoy this tasty burger.
- Step 8. Enjoy these tasty copycat burgers. The burgers are ready to enjoy!
What to serve with In-N-Out Burgers?
- In-N-Out Sauce. This is the famous secret sauce that makes these burgers so delicious. It is also tasty for dipping fries into as well.
- Copycat In-N-Out Animal Style Fries . The entire meal will be complete when you serve this copycat burger with Animal Style Fries.
- Root Beer Float. Kids and adults alike will enjoy a refreshing and creamy Root Beer Float with this burger meal.
What kind of hamburger should I use?
You can use the type of ground beef that you prefer. However, the 80/20 ground beef gives this recipe the best flavor as opposed to ground chuck or other options.
This is our opinion, and you certainly can use the type you prefer.
How to store:
These burgers are best served fresh, but you can store the leftover patties in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Do not assemble until ready to eat.
Tips and Tricks:
- Form the balls into loose patties. It will be easier to smash the burgers if the balls are not tightly packed.
- Toast the buns. It makes this copycat recipe even more authentic when you toast the buns similar to the restaurant.
- Cooking the burgers. In order to get the best sear, use a cast iron skillet or flat griddle to cook the burgers.
- Reducing the recipe. You can easily cut this recipe in half if you need to reduce the portions.
- Enjoy the burgers right away. This recipe is definitely best served fresh. If you have to make the burgers ahead of time, do not assemble them until time to enjoy.
Frequently asked questions
These burgers are best made fresh and enjoyed right away. However, you can make the patties ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to cook. The burger sauce can also be made in advance and stored until ready to use.
This type of burger has caramelized onions added to the top of each beef patty. It adds an extra layer of flavor to the burger that everyone will enjoy.
You can cook these burgers on a flat top grill such as a Blackstone or similar style grill. Just form the patties as normal and preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
Prepare the grill with oil that has a high smoke point. Some examples include canola, vegetable or avocado oil. You can also toast the buns on the grill.
Cook for 2 minutes and flip the patty. Continue to cook for another minute. Finally, add the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
Assemble the burgers as normal and enjoy
This is a popular menu item at In-N-Out burger that has double patties. It includes caramelized onions, sweet pickles and special burger sauce. This is a popular menu choice.
Copycat In and Out Burger Animal Style Recipe is very easy to make and always a hit.
The entire recipe is very simple to make and doesn’t take long at all. You can easily enjoy the flavor at home in these delicious burgers.
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised how simple it is to make this copycat recipe. Once you learn how to utilize copycat recipes, the savings and convenience will add up.
Print this In-N-Out Burger recipe:
Copycat In-N-Out Burger
FOR THE BURGER:
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- Form the ground beef into 4 balls approximately ¼ pound each.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Preheat in a large skillet, cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Drizzle the olive oil on the pan.
- Place the buns on the preheated pan for 2 minutes to toast them and then set them aside while you prepare the beef.
- Then place the beef balls on the pan. Then top each one with a piece on parchment paper and firmly press down to smash the beef into a thin patty with either a burger press or a large spatula and then discard the parchment paper. Season the patties with salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties for 2 minutes until the juices in the beef start to raise to the top and the color starts to change. Then scrape under the patty to get under the caramelized parts and flip the patty. Once flipped, do not smash down the patties again. Cook for 1 more minute and place 2 pieces of cheese on each of the patties. Cook for 1 more minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Then it’s time to assemble your burgers. Spread the sauce on the bottom of the bun. Then top it with the lettuce, tomatoes, patty and onions.
- Then the burgers are ready to enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe