This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Ham Salad Recipe is an old fashion favorite. Leftover ham turns into a delicious salad to serve with crackers or serve as a sandwich.
The Best Recipe for Ham Salad:
Homemade Ham Salad is a great way to use leftover ham. Simple ingredients mixed with diced ham to make a delicious salad to serve with crackers or make a sandwich. It is delicious and easy to make.
This classic ham salad recipe is something I grew up on. There are a variety ways to make this old fashion ham salad so make it your own. We love to enjoy it with our leftover holiday ham to keep in the fridge for an afternoon snack.
We also love to make it in the summer for a great pool side lunch along with some chicken salad. Place a bowl on a charcuterie with a side of crackers and fruit. This ham salad is a crowd favorite and is enjoyed throughout the year.
What is the best Ham to use?
This best ham to use for this recipe is your leftover holiday ham steaks. You can also use canned ham or cook a small boneless ham to enjoy throughout the year.
- Cooked Ham (diced)
- Celery (finely diced)
- Dijon Mustard
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- Black Pepper
How to Make Ham Salad::
- Step 1 – Dice Ham – Place the ham in a food processor. Then gently pulse until the ham is diced into small pieces but not a paste.
- Step 2 – Stir Ingredients with Ham – Then place the ham in a large mixing bowl. Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Step 3 – Chill Mixture – Cover and refrigerate for at least for 2 hours before serving.
- Step 4 – Season with Salt and Pepper – Before serving, taste test the ham salad. Then add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – This ham salad is great served on bread as a sandwich or with crackers.
Variations for Ham Salad:
- Add Egg – A great way to make a larger batch for feeding a crowd, mix in hard boiled eggs. This adds flavor and protein to this ham salad.
- Ham Salad Dip – You can still make this salad even if you have a smaller portion of ham leftover. Just dice the ham in smaller pieces and serve as a dip.
- Grilled Cheese – Place the ham salad on a grilled cheese for added flavor and texture. This makes a delicious lunch or a light dinner.
- Pickles – We used sweet relish in this recipe, but you can easily use diced dill pickles.
- Pasta – This mixture can easily turn into a pasta salad by adding in cooked pasta.
- Vegetables – Add in vegetables such as diced bell peppers and onions to add more flavor.
- Chicken – If you have leftover chicken, you can use it to make this recipe.
Ham Salad Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Ingredients – To save time, prepare your ingredients ahead of time. Finely minced up the ham and vegetables that you are adding to the salad. Then when you are ready to serve, mix everything together.
- Chill – After preparing the ham salad make sure to allow it to chill for at least 2 hours. When not serving, keep the ham salad refrigerated.
- Mixing Ingredients – Mix the ingredients in a large bowl to ensure that all the ingredients with the mayonnaise and seasoning.
- Double the Recipe – This recipe can easily be doubled if you are serving to a crowd. Just add in more ham and combine with the other ingredients.
Can you Freeze Ham Salad?
Ham Salad can be frozen but we do not recommend freezing it. When the ham salad is thawing the mayonnaise tends to separate causing the ham salad to be mushy.
Do I need to use a Food Processor?
We recommend using a food processor for this recipe to get the ham finely chopped. But if you do not have a food processor, you can easily dice the ham by hand.
How to Serve Ham Salad:
This delicious ham salad can be served in many different ways. These are some of my favorite ways.
- Serve on a charcuterie board with a variety of crackers.
- Serve as a sandwich with a variety of bread.
- Make Pinwheels with the salad. Spread the salad on a tortilla and roll up, then slice.
How Long does Fresh Ham Salad last in the Fridge?
If it is stored properly the salad will last about 5 days. Make sure it is placed in the fridge when you are not serving it.
Can I prepare ahead of time?
Yes, it is a good idea to make it ahead of time. This allows the Ham mixture time to chill for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the ingredients to combine and marinate together.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Why you will love this Ham Salad Recipe:
- Easy Leftover Recipe – Turn your leftover holiday or cooked ham into another meal. Your family will not realize they are eating leftovers.
- Simple Ingredients – The ingredients in this recipe are so simple. You can easily use a variety of ingredients to make it your own.
- Crowd Favorite – This recipe is so delicious and always a family favorite.
- Quick to Prepare – Combine the ingredients the night before you are want to serve. This way it is ready to enjoy for an afternoon snack.
Print Recipe for Ham Salad:
- Place the ham in a food processor and gently pulse until the ham is diced into small pieces but not a paste.
- Then place the ham in a large mixing bowl. Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least for 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving, taste test the ham salad and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- This ham salad is great served on bread as a sandwich or with crackers.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe