This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Make Instant Pot Beef Carnitas is a delicious recipe that can be used for many different recipes. This recipe is flavor and easy to make.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Carnitas Recipe:
Instant pot recipes always saves dinner every week. That is why we love this instant pot carnitas recipe. It is loaded with flavor and the shredded chuck roast can be used for many different recipes.
If you love our Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe, then you are going to love this beef carnitas recipe. The roast cooks tender, juicy and so flavorful.
The seasoning are simple and dinner can ready in less than 2 hours for a delicious meal idea. Shred the beef and serve with your favorite toppings. This beef carnitas is great to feed a crowd or a weekend meal.
What are Carnitas?
Carnitas means little meats in Spanish. Carnitas can be made with beef, pork shoulder, or pulled pork roast for a delicious meal idea. The meat is seasoned with simple taco seasoning and cooked so flavorful.
We usually slow cook in a crockpot, but the instant pot cooks it just as well. Serve the shredded meats for your next game day or family gathering for a crowd pleasing meal.
- Beef Roast
- Beef Broth
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- White Onion (sliced)
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Fresh Limes juiced
How to Make Beef Carnitas in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Add roast to instant pot – Place the roast in an instant pot (6-8 quarts). Pour the broth around the outside of the roast.
- Step 2 – Add in ingredients – Add the other ingredients on top of the roast in the instant pot.
- Step 3 – Seal and cook – Seal and cook the juices on high pressure for 90 minutes. After the cook time, let the pressure release naturally. From the instant pot by not moving the valve on the lid to the vent position.
- Step 4 – Shred the Beef – When the pin on lid is all the way raised. Remove the lid and shred the beef. Pressure cooked beef is always so tender.
- Step 5 – Heat Oven – Preheat the broiler.
- Step 6 – Place beef on baking sheet – Place the beef on a foil covered cookie sheet.
- Step 7 – Broil Shredded Beef – Broil for 10 minutes or until the beef begins to brown and gets crispy.
- Step 8 – Serve and enjoy – Serve on tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
- Adding Ingredients – Place the beef roast in the pressure cooker and add the broth. Then add in the remaining ingredients and completely seasoning the roast.
- Shredding Beef – Once the roast is cooked, shred the beef. We recommend using a hand mixer or stand mixer to shred the beef. This saves time and makes a great way to shred the beef. While shredding the beef, remove excess fat from the pork.
- Naturally Release – Make sure to allow the instant pot does a natural release for 15 minutes instead of a quick release.
- Broil the Meat – Carnitas is best when it is broiled in the oven. This allows the shredded beef to have crispy edges. It only take a few minutes so watch it closely so it does not burn.
How to Serve Beef Carnitas:
These beef carnitas is great served just as it is or you can add the shredded beef to many recipes. This is a great meal to meal prep with to enjoy different ways for lunch or a quick dinner idea.
These are some of my favorite ways to enjoy beef carnitas.
- Burrito Bowls
- Top of a Salads
- Beef Carnitas Tacos
What to Serve with Shredded Beef Carnitas:
- White Rice – Make a batch of white rice to serve with these beef carnitas. You can serve as a side dish or place the shredded beef over the top. Rice is a great side dish to make ahead of time and freeze. Learn how to freeze here.
- Refried Beans – Making refried beans in the instant pot makes a quick and easy side dish. They taste better than the can stuff and you you can change the seasoning. Serve carnitas with homemade refried beans for a complete meal idea.
- Queso and Chips – There is nothing better than chips and dip and it is perfect to serve with this beef carnitas. This is the perfect side when we make these beef carnitas for a crowd.
How Long to Cook Beef Carnitas in the Pressure Cooker:
The beef carnitas cook easily in your pressure cooker. Once you have placed the roast beef in the instant pot with the seasoning, allow it to cook in high pressure.
Beef carnitas cooks in about 90 minutes, but cooking time will vary. We also like to broil the shredded beef in the oven to allow it to get crispy. This only takes an additional 10 minutes. Watch closely so the beef does not burn.
- Change the Meat – You can definitely use different types of meat to make this recipe. Use pork shoulder, pork roast, or a chuck roast.
- Seasoning – Feel free to substitute the seasoning with a taco seasoning. But you can also add in oregano, ground cumin, or other types of spices.
- Add in Ingredients – Add in chipotle peppers or adobo sauce for delicious flavor. You can also use chicken broth instead of beef broth to make this recipe.
- Slow Cooker – Feel free to make this recipe in the slow cooker. This is a great way to place everything in the slow cooker and let it do all the work.
- Cast Iron Skillet – If you do not want to heat up the oven. You can place the shredded beef in a cast iron skillet. This allows the meat to get crispy without heating up the stove.
Topping Ideas for Beef Carnitas:
When we serve these beef carnitas to a crowd. I like to setup a taco bar with all of our favorite toppings. This way everyone can make tacos, burritos, or bowls.
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Juice
We also like to have different types of tortillas warmed up. Serve with corn tortillas, flour tortillas, or street taco size tortillas.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This shredded beef also stores well in the freezer. Place the shredded beef in a freezer bag or container and store for about 3 months.
Once we are ready to serve, I like to place in the crockpot to easily reheat. This also makes a great weeknight meal.
Print Recipe for Instant Pot Beef Carnitas:
Instant Pot Beef Carnitas
- Place the roast in an instant pot (6-8 quarts). Pour the broth around the outside of the roast.
- Add the other ingredients on top of the roast in the instant pot.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. After the cook time, let the pressure release naturally from the instant pot by not moving the valve on the lid to the vent position.
- When the pin on lid is all the way raised, remove the lid and shred the beef.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the beef on a foil covered cookie sheet.
- Broil for 10 minutes or until the beef begins to brown and gets crispy.
- Serve on tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Instant Pot Beef Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Teriyaki Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stir Fry Recipe