Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff has classic flavors and creamy texture made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot. A family favorite recipe made in the pressure cooker.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe:
Beef Stroganoff Recipe has always been a family favorite. Growing up with this classic comfort food recipe was usually made with the box stuff. Then I realized how simple it is to make homemade Beef Stroganoff.
Making Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot is even easier. All the ingredients are cooked in the instant pot even the noodles and dinner is done in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe is delicious and it is full of flavor. The creamy sauce combined with the egg noodles, mushrooms and beef makes this recipe now my family’s favorite recipe.
What is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff originated back in the 1800s in Russia. This classic recipe has been made different ways over the years. It can also be made differently based on the country you live in.
The meat and the spices are what changes based on who is making it. But the standard recipe consist of meat, mushrooms, onions, spices, and a creamy sour cream sauce. These ingredients are mixed together and topped over egg noodles.
- Stew Meat
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Red Wine
- Onion (diced)
- Cremini Mushrooms (sliced)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Broth – You can also beef stock.
- Egg Noodles
- Sour Cream
How to make Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot:
- Add Olive Oil – Heat the olive oil in the instant pot on the sauté setting. Add in the beef, season it with the salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Pour Beef Broth – Deglaze the instant pot insert with 1 cup of beef broth.
- Add in Seasoning – Then add in the red wine, minced garlic, diced onion, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms and remaining 2 cups of beef broth to the crock pot.
- Cook Ingredients – Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes and then do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing to the venting position.
- Mix cornstarch and water – Then mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water to dissolve the cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Add Uncooked Egg Noodles – Stir this mixture and the uncooked egg noodles into the instant pot. Make sure that the noodles are completely covered. Add more broth if needed to cover the noodle.
- Noodles Cooked – Seal and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then another quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- Stir in Sour Cream – Then stir in the sour cream until well combined.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve this hearty meal with a side of steamed vegetables and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste then enjoy.
What Beef to Use:
At our grocery store, they have pre-cut beef stew meat that is perfect for this recipe. But you can also use sirloin, steak tips, tenderloin, chuck roast or flank steak. I have even made it with ground beef and everyone loved it.
How Long do you Cook Stroganoff in the Instant Pot?
Add the stroganoff ingredients to the instant pot. Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for about 20 minutes. Then do a quick release to release the pressure on the instant pot.
How Long to Pressure Cook meat in the Instant Pot?
Cooking beef in the Pressure Cooker doesn’t take long. We like to first add the olive oil to the instant pot and add the beef to brown it. Adding the beef broth with the other stroganoff ingredients will cook for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe Instant Pot makes for an easy weeknight meal.
Can I make this in the Slow Cooker?
Cooking in the slow cooker allows your stew meat to come out so tender and flavorful. It will depend on your timeframe on how long you need to slow cook the beef tips. We usually cook on low all day to come home to the best beef. Based on your crock pot cook time could vary.
- Cook on High – Cook about 4 to 5 hours on high
- Cook on Low – Cook about 7 to 8 hours on low
We love mixing in sour cream for the creaminess. But you can also use cream cheese just make sure you give it some extra stirring. Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff is perfect to start in the morning and it will be ready when you come home.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff?
There are many options to serve with Beef Stroganoff. Here are some of our favorites:
- Mash Potatoes
- Egg Noodles
- Steamed Broccoli
- Side Salad
Variation for Insta Pot Beef Stroganoff:
- Substitute with Beef Broth – If you don’t have dry sherry, you can substitute with beef broth and it is just as amazing.
- Use Chicken – If you want a light version of the stroganoff use chicken as a replacement.
- Make a Sandwich – This is recipe is traditionally served over rice and mash potatoes. You can also serve it as a sandwich. Brown some hoagies and add the beef stroganoff to the top. Make sure to drain some of the liquid.
- Use different cuts of meat – Instead of beef stew, you can also substitute for a ribeye. Ribeye is full of flavor and cooks perfectly.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – To add some extra flavor, you can stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup.
- Dijon Mustard – Some recipes call for Dijon Mustard. You can add it for some extra flavoring.
- Greek Yogurt – Instead of sour cream, you can use sour cream to make the sauce creamy.
Can I add in Vegetables to Instant pot Beef Stroganoff?
Yes, there are many different vegetables that can be added to the beef stroganoff. Here are a few of our favorites and they pair perfectly for this recipe:
- Add in Peas – A good vegetable to add into this recipe is peas. Take about 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas and rinse. Add them to the mixture when you are adding the egg noodles. They add a hint of sweetness to the recipe.
- Diced Tomatoes – We have added in diced tomatoes before and we loved it. We added them in when we added in the noodles. They cooked perfectly together. Make sure not to add them in to soon, as they could turn to mush.
- Chopped Carrots – Chopped carrots can be added and cooked with the other ingredients. We love how it brightens up the recipe.
- Shredded Zucchini – Zucchini is also a great vegetable throw in to cook with the other ingredients. In mixes in perfectly with the other ingredients.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 onion diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- 12 ounce egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat the olive oil in the instant pot on the sauté setting. Add in the beef, season it with the salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Deglaze the instant pot insert with 1 cup of beef broth.
- Then add in the red wine, minced garlic, diced onion, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms and remaining 2 cups of beef broth to the crock pot.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes and then do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing to the venting position.
- Then mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water to dissolve the cornstarch. Stir this mixture and the uncooked egg noodles into the instant pot. Make sure that the noodles are completely covered. Add more broth if needed to cover the noodle.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then another quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- Then stir in the sour cream until well combined and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe