This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas is loaded with flavor and cooks in the instant pot easily. Shredded pork carnitas make the best tacos, burritos or enchiladas.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe:
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas is an easy way to make your favorite Mexican inspired dish. This pork shoulder cooks easily in the instant pot and is seasoned with simple ingredients.
If you like carnitas as much as I do, you can need to check out these recipes. These recipes take Taco Tuesday to the next level. Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas and Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas cook all day to make a delicious meal.
Once the pork cooks, you can easily shred it to wrap in a tortilla for a delicious meal idea. You can even serve over rice or for an easy weeknight meal. Instant Pot Pork Carnitas is the perfect weeknight meal or to feed a crowd.
What is Pork Carnitas?
Pork Carnitas is a Mexican inspired dish that is similar to pulled pork. A pork should is seasoned with a simple taco seasoning blend and then cooked to perfection.
Most of the time this meat is slow cooked, but using the instant pot has the same slow cooked taste.
- Boneless Pork Shoulder (cut into 4-6 pieces)
- White Onion diced
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Oregano
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Limes (juiced)
- Oranges (juiced)
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Pork Carnitas Instant Pot Recipe:
- Step 1 – Mix seasoning together – In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, chili powder, cumin, black pepper and salt. Pat the pork shoulder pieces dry and rub the season mixture on all sides of the pork.
- Step 2 – Place pork into pressure cooker – Place the seasoned pork shoulder in an instant pot. Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Step 3 – Cook Pork – Seal and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. After the cook time, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure. Shred the cook carnitas.
- Step 4 – Heat Oven – Preheat the broiler.
- Step 5 – Add shredded pork to baking sheet – Place the pork on a foil covered baking sheet.
- Step 6 – Broil Shredded Pork – Broil for 5-6 minutes or until the pork begins to brown and gets crispy.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
How long to Cook Pork Carnitas in the Instant Pot:
Once you have seasoned the pork shoulder, place in the instant pot. Cook the pork on high pressure for about 45 minutes. We recommend letting the instant pot to do a naturally release for additional 15 minutes.
This allows the pork to lock in flavor and finish cooking.
Depending on the size of pork shoulder or the cut of meat that you use it make take longer. It may take up to 60 minutes to cook. If you are cooking a smaller cut of meat, then it make only take 30 minutes..
Tips for Instant Pot Pork Carnitas:
- Season Pork Shoulder – After combining the spices together, make sure to completely cover the pork with the seasoning.
- Shredding Pork – We recommend shredding the pork with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. This makes it so easy to shred. But you can also shred the pork with forks. While shredding the pork, remove excess fat from the pork.
- Boil Meat – To get that crispy edges on the meal, we like to broil the meat. You can also pan fry the meat to create a crispy texture.
- Slow Cooker – Feel free to make this recipe in the slow cooker.
- Naturally Release – Make sure to allow the instant pot does a natural release for 15 minutes instead of a quick release.
- Change the Meat – You can use a pork butt instead of a pork shoulder in this recipe if you prefer.
- Seasoning – You can easily change the seasoning to what you prefer. You can also cook the pork in a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for delicious flavor.
- Serving – The great thing about this recipe is you can use this cooked pork in many different ways. Serve with as tacos, burritos, or quesadillas. The options are endless.
What to Serve Pork Carnitas?
Instant Pot Carnitas recipe can be served in many different ways. These sides are easy to make and pair perfectly with this shredded pork carnitas recipe.
- White Rice – Rice is one of the easiest side dishes to make and you can save a ton of time by using the instant pot. Top this shredded pork on this rice with a side of roasted vegetables for a complete meal idea.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – Making rice takes very little time to make and it’s very filling! This rice come out so fluffy and perfect every time. Adding in the cilantro and lime makes the rice so flavorful and the perfect side dish to our favorite Mexican dinners.
- Instant Pot Refried Beans – Making refried beans in the instant pot makes a quick and easy side dish. They taste better than the can stuff and you you can change the seasoning.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas are the perfect recipe to make when hosting a party. Pork Shoulder is an expensive cut of meat but once cooked with the added seasoning gives it so much flavor.
When we are hosting a party, make a taco bar with all of these favorite toppings.
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Salsa Verde
- Fresh Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Red Onions
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Not only is this recipe perfect for a weeknight meal, but can also be used for meal prep for the week.
Shredded pork stores easily and reheats easily in the microwave for a quick lunch the next day.
How to Freeze:
Freezing your leftover Pork Carnitas is easy to do. If you like to meal plan like I do, I like to double the batch and freeze the ingredients in a freezer bag.
- Once the pork has cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer safe container.
- Make sure to freeze the leftover beef with the juices. When you are ready to thaw and reheat, you can reheat on the stove top or microwave.
You can also freeze the seasoning with uncooked beef. This way you can take the freezer bag and place in the instant pot when I am ready to prepare.
Makes for a quick recipe to prepare in the morning.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Pork Carnitas:
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, chili powder, cumin, black pepper and salt. Pat the pork shoulder pieces dry and rub the season mixture on all sides of the pork.
- Place the seasoned pork shoulder in an instant pot. Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. After the cook time, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure. Shred the pork.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the pork on a foil covered baking sheet.
- Broil for 5-6 minutes or until the pork begins to brown and gets crispy.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Instant Pot Mexican Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos Recipe
- Instant pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe