Delicious honey, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce and more come together to make Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken Recipe. The flavor is amazing and the entire meal can be ready in just minutes!
Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken Recipe:
We wanted to try something different with chicken and this easy bourbon chicken was created. It has the best blend of flavors and everyone raved about it. Making Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken is easy with simple ingredients.
The chicken is so tender and delicious that it tastes slow cooked. When in reality it was cooked in no time at all. It is the perfect meal when you are running behind and need dinner fast.
This honey bourbon chicken instant pot recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Your family will go crazy over this flavorful meal.
What is Bourbon Chicken?
Bourbon Chicken originated from the famous street in New Orleans called Bourbon Street. Also because it has Bourbon Whiskey in it. You will find this dish in at the mall at the food courts.
The ingredients include soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and bourbon whiskey. The chicken is marinated in this sauce for the added flavor. This dish is usually served over white rice.
Honey Bourbon Chicken Ingredients:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Chicken Broth or Bourbon
- Brown Sugar
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Minced Onions – You can also use onion powder.
- Ground Ginger
- Corn Starch
How to make Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken:
- Prepare your Instant Pot – Spray your instant pot with cooking spray to prevent chicken from sticking.
- Add Chicken – Place your chicken pieces in your pressure cooker.
- Mix Ingredients – Mix together remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch, water and rice until well blended).
- Pour over chicken – Once the ingredients are blended, pour the bourbon mixture over the chicken.
- Place cover on Instant Pot – Cover and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot – Set the pressure for 15 minutes to cook the ingredients.
- Release – Do a quick release to release the pressure.
- Combine the ingredients – Remove the lid and stir to combine until all the ingredients are combined.
- Mix your Cornstarch slurry – Mix together your cornstarch and water in a small bowl. This slurry is thicken the sauce.
- Pour over chicken mixture – Stir into the Instant pot to thicken the sauce
- Sauté the sauce – Turn on the sauté setting.
- Pressure Cook – Cook on high until thickened.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve your chicken on a bed of rice drizzled with the sauce. You can top the bourbon chicken with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
What to serve with Bourbon Chicken Instant Pot Recipe?
Serve your chicken on a bed of rice drizzled with the sauce. It is so good and you will just want to gobble up every last drop of that sauce. I could eat this sauce by the spoonful so I always pour extra over my rice.
- White Rice – Serve this Bourbon Chicken over White rice. You can make Crock Pot White Rice for an easy side dish.
- Brown Rice – If you prefer you can use Brown Rice as an easy side. Microwave Brown Rice is easy to make.
- Steamed Vegetables – When I make this bourbon chicken, I always serve with a side of steamed broccoli or zucchini.
What Can I Substitute for Bourbon?
If you would prefer not to use Bourbon in this recipe there are few things that you use as a substitute. If you do decide to substitute the Bourbon, keep in mine that you will use lose some of that flavor.
You can add in some apple juice or increase your serving of the chicken broth. Both will add flavor to the chicken but you will miss that kick of flavor that Bourbon gives the recipe.
Can I prepare Bourbon Chicken ahead of time?
If you like to meal plan like I do, this is the perfect meal to prepare ahead of time. We love to stock our freezer with meals that can be tossed in the instant pot or crock pot for a quick meal.
The bourbon chicken ingredients can be placed in a freezer safe bag. Do not add the cornstarch and water ingredients. You will need to add those after cooking to thicken the sauce.
This freezer meal will last about 4 months in your freezer if frozen properly. Once you are ready to cook, you can toss in your instant pot or crock pot. The ingredients will cook perfectly, you make sure need to add additional time to your instant pot.
Bourbon Chicken on Stovetop:
This bourbon chicken can be made many different ways. You can even make it on your stovetop. We like to use our cast iron skillet, but you can also use a Wok or just a regular skillet.
Make sure to dice the chicken to easily saute in your skillet. Once the chicken is cooked, add the sauce ingredients to completely cover the chicken and heat.
Once chicken is cooked with the sauce, then serve over rice or noodles.
How to Thicken the Sauce?
To thicken the sauce we like to use a cornstarch slurry. Mix 1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon of water together. Once blended together, pour into the Instant Pot with the other ingredients and turn on the saute setting.
All the ingredients to saute together for a few minutes and the sauce will thicken.
Can I make Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken?
Yes, you can make this recipe in your slow cooker. Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken is a great way to prepare this recipe. Toss the ingredients in the crock pot in the morning and cook on low for about 6 hours.
Make your cornstarch slurry and add to the sauce to thicken. Serve over rice with a side of steamed vegetables and dinner is done.
Bourbon Chicken Tips:
- Change the Chicken – We used chicken breast but you can easily boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins.
- Thicker Sauce – Make a cornstarch or flour slurry to thicken the bourbon sauce.
- Spicy Sauce – If you prefer a spicier sauce, add in some red pepper flakes or siracha sauce.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store your leftovers in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days. Make sure to place in an air tight container. We love the bourbon chicken the next day because the sauce really marinates in the chicken.
This is The Best Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken:
Get dinner on the table fast with this simple recipe. While it only takes a few minutes to cook thanks to the instant pot, the flavors taste amazing.
Your family will never guess it only took a few minutes to make. You can easily prepare this recipe on busy weeknights when you don’t have much time.
Enjoy a great dinner with your family when you use the pressure cooker and simple recipes like this.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken:
Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth or bourbon
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Spray your instant pot with cooking spray
- Place your chicken pieces in your pressure cooker.
- Mix together remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch, water and rice until well blended).
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pressure for 15 minutes.
- Do a quick release to release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir to combine.
- Mix together your cornstarch and water in a small separate bowl
- Stir into the Instant pot.
- turn on the saute setting.
- Cook on high until thickened.
- Serve your chicken on a bed of rice drizzled with the sauce.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I don’t have an Instant Pot! How would I do this in a crock pot, and would the ingredients be the same?
3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken – What? Thighs, Breasts, Whole Chickens? Please be more specific.
I’m sorry about that. It’s boneless skinless chicken breasts. I have updated the recipe and the post. Thank you.
The ingredients would be the same and I would cook on low for 7-8 hours. Thank you.
is it possible to double the recipe? would you just have to double the cooking time? how would that work?
Mike – You can double the recipe and you would not need to change the cooking time. It would stay the same. You would just want to make sure that you do not exceed the fill line in the instant pot with your ingredients and you should be good to go.
I made this today and it was amazing. I used 3/4 cup water, 1/2 Tsp of chicken Better Than Bouillon (I didn’t have chicken broth on hand) and 1/4 cup bourbon. I also added some cashews for garnish on mine after serving. Thanks for the recipe. It’s a keeper!