Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is a easy to make soup that cooks perfectly in your instant pot. This soup is flavorful, hearty and made with simple ingredients.
Instant Pot Tortellini Soup Recipe:
Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup is a family favorite soup made easily in the pressure cooker. It is hearty and delicious as it loaded with spinach, sausage, and tortellini.
This is the perfect comfort recipe on a cold day. This soup cooks in less than 30 minutes and you have a hearty and filling soup to feed your family. We love that it is so creamy but a simple meal that is kid approved.
This one pot meal is perfect served with a side of garlic bread and a salad. If you need a quick soup idea, this is our favorite to make. Simple, delicious and full of flavor and made with simple ingredients.
What type of Tortellini do you use?
We use the refrigerated fresh tortellini that you can get at your local grocery store. We made this recipe with the cheese tortellini, but you can use any flavor that you prefer.
There are tortellini that is filled with spinach, sausage, and other types of flavor. Tortillini is a delicious ring shaped pasta that is can be served in a soup or with marinara or alfredo sauce.
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Onion, finely diced
- Carrots, peeled and diced
- Stalks Celery, diced
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Tomatoes (28 oz)
- Chicken Broth
- Cheese Tortellini
- Fresh Spinach, Packed and then chopped
- Heavy Whipping Cream
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup in Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Brown the ground sausage in the electric pressure cooker on the sauté setting. Drain off any excess grease and allow the sausage to cool slightly. If you would prefer, you can add in a little olive oil.
- Step 2 – Scrap the bottom of the instant pot insert. This make sure that nothing is stuck to the bottom of the insert.
- Step 3 – Add the garlic, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth to the instant pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Step 4 – Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes with a quick release.
- Step 5 – Whisk together the heavy whipping cream and cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Step 6 – Then stir this mixture, tortellini and chopped spinach into the instant pot.
- Step 7 – Seal and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cook time.
- Step 8 – Stir, serve warm and enjoy! We like to top our tortellini soup with grated parmesan cheese.
Can I add in More Vegetables?
Yes, this is a great soup to add in leftover vegetables. We love the flavor that the carrots and celery give the soup but these can be change to other vegetables. Here are some great veggies to add:
- Green Beans
- Release Instant Pot Pressure – Make sure to release the pressure immediately after pressure cooking the tortellini. This ensure that it doesn’t get over cooked in the instant pot.
- Cooking Sausage – Cook the sausage directly in the instant pot. Drain any grease and remove any sausage stuck to the bottom.
- Tortellini – We purchased the 16 ounce package size of tortellini. But if all you can find is a smaller size, you can use that.
- Sauce – We used heavy whipping cream and cornstarch to create a creamy sauce. If you would like it thinner you can use chicken broth instead of heavy whipping cream.
Can Sausage be left out?
Yes, you can make this soup without the sausage for a vegetarian option. If you are wanting to make this a vegetarian soup, make sure to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
You can also make this soup with turkey sausage, ground chicken, ground pork or ground beef. Adding meat to this soup really helps to bring out the flavors with the other ingredients.
If you do decide to skip on the meat, make sure you load the soup with tons of vegetables and seasoning.
Sausage Tortellini Soup Variations:
- Sausage – We used Italian Sausage in this recipe, but you can easily use spicy sausage. This gives the soup a little kick to the flavor. Breakfast sausage would work a good alternative. You can also mix spicy and mild sausage for added flavor.
- Creamy Sauce – We like serving this as a creamy sauce but you can thin it out by using chicken broth.
- Tortellini – Use different flavors of tortellini. You can even use frozen tortellini. We have mixed different flavors of the tortellini and it was amazing.
- Vegetables – Add in different vegetables into the soup. Bell peppers is a good options and if you don’t like spinach, kale is also a good substitute.
- Cream Cheese – If you prefer, you can mix in cream cheese instead of heavy cream. I would recommend dicing the cream cheese before adding to the instant pot
- Diced Tomatoes – Instead of crushed tomatoes you can easily use diced tomatoes.
- Change the Meat – You can use shredded chicken instead of sausage if you prefer. Creamy Chicken Tortellini is delicious.
- Seasoning – For an added Italian flavor, add in about a tablespoon of Italian Seasoning. You can also add in some red pepper flakes.
- Gluten Free – To make this soup gluten free, you will need to change to gluten free tortellini. You can also use gluten free pasta.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Tortellini Soup:
This instant pot tortellini soup is loaded with everything for a complete meal. When we serve this soup we like to keep the sides light and easy. Since we are cooking everything in the instant pot, the sides need to be just as easy.
- Garlic Cheese Bread – We love this Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe. It is perfect for dipping into the soup and getting every last drop. These cheese sticks are delicious and easy to make.
- Dinner Rolls – You might also like this Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe with the soup. If you do not have time to make bread, grab some french bread from the bakery.
- Side Salad – Add a side salad to this meal with a slice of garlic bread to make it a complete meal. We love to load our salad with tons of vegetables. A salad is a great way to use up leftover veggies.
- Roasted Vegetables – We recommend roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus for an easy side.
Can you Freeze Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup?
Freezing soup that has pasta and cream as their base can be challenging. The texture of the pasta can change when thawing and the cream broth can separate. If you are planning on freezing this recipe, you can definitely freezing after you make it.
But I would recommend keeping the tortellini and cream broth separate and just freezing the soup contents. Then when you are ready to serve again, add in the tortellini and mix in the cornstarch slurry as the recipe card indicates.
If frozen properly, this soup will last about 2 months in the freezer. Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on the stovetop.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. We like to store the leftovers in individual containers for an easy lunch the next day. This soup heats well on the stove or in a microwave.
The soup is delicious the next day as the ingredients really marinate together. Add a side of garlic bread and your lunch is complete.
Easy Creamy Tortellini Instant Pot Soup:
This is the perfect weeknight meal or when you have friends over. It is always a crowd favorite because how delicious and creamy it is.
Soup is one of our favorite meals to make when the weather gets colder. This hearty soup is one of our favorites to make.
Print Recipe her for Instant Pot Tortellini Soup:
Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- ½ Onion finely diced
- 2 Carrots peeled and diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 28 oz
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 16 oz Cheese Tortellini
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach Packed and then chopped
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Brown the ground sausage in the instant pot on the sauté setting. Drain off any excess grease and allow the sausage to cool slightly. Scrap the bottom of the instant pot insert to make sure that nothing is stuck to the bottom of the insert.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth to the instant pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes with a quick release.
- Whisk together the heavy whipping cream and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Then stir this mixture, tortellini and chopped spinach into the instant pot. Seal and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cook time.
- Stir, serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe