Change up your shrimp recipe and make Panko Shrimp. Crispy, crunchy shrimp is served as a appetizer, main dish or as a side dish.
What is Panko?
Panko is breadcrumbs that have been steamed and processed into flakes. The breadcrumbs are then dried that is great to use as a coating on shrimp or chicken.
This panko fried shrimp turns out super crispy thanks to the panko breadcrumbs.
- Raw Shrimp (peeled, deviled and tails removed)
- All Purpose Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Large Eggs
- Oil (for frying)
How to Make Panko Shrimp Recipe:
- Step 1 – Heat Oil – Heat approximately 2 inches of oil in a large pot for frying to 350 degrees F or use a deep fryer to heat the oil.
- Step 2 – Add ingredients to bowls – In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and put the Panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Step 3 – Coat Shrimp – Coat the shrimp in the flour mixture. Then dip the shrimp in the beaten eggs and then coat the shrimps with the Panko crumbs (pack the breadcrumbs onto the shrimp).
- Step 4 – Fry Shrimp – Fry the coated shrimp in the oil for approximately 1 minute per side until golden brown. Then place the shrimp on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Step 5 – Cool Shrimp – Allow the shrimp to cool for a few minutes. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy.
Tips for Frying Shrimp with Panko:
- Oil for Frying – Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil or Peanut Oil all work great for frying this easy shrimp recipe.
- Deep Frying Shrimp – Make sure not to overcook the shrimp. Watch them closely as they are frying to prevent them from overcooking.
- Placing shrimp in skillet – When placing the shrimp in the hot oil, make sure you place shrimp in a single layer. You do not want to over crowd the skillet. This could prevent the shrimp from completely cooking.
- Ingredients – Feel free to change the seasoning in this recipe. You can even use egg whites instead of the whole eggs.
- Hot Oil – Before frying your panko shrimp, make sure your oil is hot enough. You may need to use a thermometer to check the temperature. We recommend heating the oil to about 350 degrees to 400 degrees.
What goes well with Panko Shrimp?
Panko shrimp can be served as a side dish, appetizer or as a main meal idea. My husband loves it served with a sauce to dip them into. Make sure to serve with fresh lemon wedges for added flavor.
- Cocktail Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
Can you Bake Panko Breaded Shrimp?
Yes, you can bake Panko Breaded Shrimp. If you prefer to not to fry the breaded shrimp, place in the oven and bake for about 4 minutes on each side. Place the oven at 400 degrees so that the texture will still be crispy.
How to Store:
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Panko shrimp is best served immediately, but can be stored in the fridge.
When you are ready to serve again, bake or place in the air fryer for a few minutes.
Best Shrimp for Panko Shrimp:
The perfect shrimp for this panko recipe is the large, jumbo or colossal size shrimp. We buy the shrimp that is already peeled, deveined and the tails on. We made this shrimp with raw shrimp, but you can also use frozen shrimp.
Make sure the shrimp has thawed before preparing the shrimp to fry.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Make sure is dry before preparing it for breading. You may even need to double bread to ensure the breading stays on.
Yes, you can air fry these Panko Shrimp. Preheat your air fryer to 385 degrees. Place the prepared shrimp in the air fryer basket and cook for about 4 minutes. Then flip the shrimp and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
Print Recipe here for Panko Shrimp:
- 1 pound Raw Shrimp peeled, deviled and tails removed
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Large Eggs
- Oil for frying
- Heat approximately 2 inches of oil in a large pot for frying to 350 degrees F or use a deep fryer to heat the oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and put the Panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Coat the shrimp in the flour mixture. Then dip the shrimp in the beaten eggs and then coat the shrimps with the Panko bread crumbs (pack the breadcrumbs onto the shrimp).
- Fry the coated shrimp in the oil for approximately 1 minute per side until golden brown. Then place the shrimp on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Allow the shrimp to cool for a few minutes. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe