This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Pizza Soup is a delicious tomato based soup that is loaded with pepperoni, vegetables and easy seasoning. Tasty soup topped with cheese and served with French bread.
Pizza Soup Recipe:
My family loves pizza and make it in many different ways. We make a traditional homemade pizza, pizza casseroles and now pepperoni pizza soup. This soup is loaded with pizza flavors and while still being hearty and delicious.
This Easy Pizza Soup is easily made on your stove top with pepperoni, sausage, Italian seasoning and tomatoes. It is so flavorful and topped with mozzarella cheese makes this soup a family favorite.
If you are looking to change up your soup recipes, this is the one to make. If you have pizza lovers in your home, they will love this soup recipe.
You can easily change the ingredients to what you family prefers. Add a side of French bread and salad for a complete meal idea.
What is Pizza Soup?
Pizza soup is a soup that is loaded with all your favorite pizza toppings. We start by cooking the Italian Sausage in the Dutch Oven then add in all the other ingredients.
The soup simmers for about 15 minutes which allows all the ingredients to really cook together. This would be a great option if you are looking for a low carb or gluten free option but still want to enjoy all the pizza flavors.
The next time your kids are wanting pizza, see if they will compromise and make this delicious soup.
- Italian Sausage
- Onion (chopped)
- Tomato Paste
- Crushed Tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic – You can also use garlic powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Pepperoni (quartered)
- Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
How to Make Pizza Soup:
- Step 1 – Brown the Italian sausage with the diced onion in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Step 2 – Break up the sausage as it browns. Once browned, drain off any of the excess grease.
- Step 3 – Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the shredded cheese.
- Step 4 – Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Simmer until the bell pepper is tender and the soup has thickened.
- Step 5 – Stir in the shredded mozzarella cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Step 6 – Serve warm with bread or topped with croutons and enjoy. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
What to Serve with Pizza Soup?
- Garden Salad – A simple salad is perfect served with the hearty soup.
- Bread Sticks – Breadsticks are a must when I make this recipe. We love to dip the breadstick in the soup to make sure we get every last drop of the sauce. Garlic bread is also a good option or pick some bread up at the bakery.
- Roasted Vegetables – Roasted vegetables are always a good option when serving soup. Broccoli and Asparagus are great options and it balances out this hearty soup.
What Toppings are Best with Pizza Soup:
There are many different toppings that you can serve with this soup. We love to set out different toppings so every one can choose what they want. Here are some of favorites:
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Red Pepper Flakes
Can Spaghetti Sauce be used instead of Pizza Sauce?
Yes, you can use a jar of spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce. This a great option when this is all you have. There are a variety of flavors of spaghetti sauce that you can choose from.
All options would be an amazing addition to this soup.
- Change the Meat – You can easily use ground beef instead of ground sausage in this recipe if you prefer. Ground Turkey is also a good option. You can mix ground beef and ground turkey for amazing flavor.
- Vegetables – Add in different vegetables that you have. You can add in ½ cup of green peppers, red onion, or mushrooms.
- Change the Seasoning – Instead of Italian Seasoning you can add in a teaspoon of dried oregano and other Italian seasoning. Use what you have.
- Diced Tomatoes – We used crushed tomatoes in this recipe but you can use diced tomatoes or add both.
- Spinach – This soup would be delicious adding in some fresh spinach. Mix in about 5 minutes left of simmering so that it doesn’t overcook.
- Beans – You can stretch this soup even farther by adding in some beans. White beans would be a great addition and pairs perfectly with the pizza ingredients.
How to Store leftover Pizza Soup:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I Freeze this Lasagna Soup?
Yes, this soup would freeze perfectly. Place the soup in a freezer container once it has cooled to room temperature. If you have a lot of soup leftover, we recommend freezing in smaller portions.
This way you can thaw for a quick lunch or a smaller dinner idea later in the month. This soup will freeze well for about 3 months.
- Brown the Italian sausage with the diced onion in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Break up the sausage as it browns. Once browned, drain off any of the excess grease.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the shredded cheese.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the bell pepper is tender and the soup has thickened.
- Stir in the shredded mozzarella cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm with bread or topped with croutons and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Quick Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Basil Tomato Soup Recipe
- Spaghetti Soup Recipe
- Sausage Kale White Bean Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Sausage Potato Soup
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 7 Can Taco Soup Recipe