This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
I’m so excited to share with you another family favorite cookie. This Red Velvet Cookies Recipe is wonderful because we cheat and use a red velvet cake mix to achieve a moist and delicious cookie.
This Red Velvet Cookies Recipe is gorgeous but taste even better than they look. They are my kids all time favorite cookie recipe. If you are looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day Cookie, this is the one to make. Check out more Valentine’s Day Recipes to share.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe:
We are cheating a little with this simple cake mix cookies by using a cake mix. That makes these easy red velvet cookies even easier to make.
Plus I think you will be surprised how amazing they taste too. They don’t turn cakey but a great tasting cookie. Serve with a glass of cold milk and your entire family will be impressed.
These are my kids favorite cake mix cookies. They will eat them as fast as I am taking them out of the oven. We have even made sandwich cookies with frosting in between for a fun variations.
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered sugar
Scroll to the bottom of the post to see the full recipe and ingredients.
- Chocolate Chips – Feel free to experiment with the cookies and add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and more. The white chocolate chips especially look pretty with the red color.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – Top the Christmas Cookie with a cream cheese frosting.
- White Sugar – Another idea is to roll the cookies in white sugar instead of powdered sugar. This really makes the red food coloring pop and look so vibrant.
- Cake Mix – Change the flavor of box cake mix and add-ins to change up your cookies.
- Brown Sugar – You can also use add in brown sugar. It helps to moistened the cookie and make it chewy. But it is not necessary.
- Vanilla Extract – I will occasionally add in teaspoons vanilla extract to enhance the flavors.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix everything (except for the powdered sugar) into the a large bowl. The Batter will come out really thick, but that is ok.
Step 2 – Next you are going to use a cookie scoop to scoop up perfectly round red velvet bites and roll them in powered sugar. I highly recommend using a cookie scoop.
Step 3 – Place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches a part. I love to use these baking liners to bake my cookies – they are awesome and your cookies turn out perfect every time.
Step 4 – Slightly flatten each cookie with a cup. You can make them as thin as you want, but we just did a little, so they would still plump up nicely.
Step 5 – Bake Cookies in the oven. It takes less than 10 minutes until these cookies become these beautiful crinkle red velvet cookies.
Step 6 – Cool completely on a wire rack. You will make about 24-36 cookies depending on how big your cookies are. We made 30 with our small cookies scoop.
- Combining Ingredients – The batter will be thick when combining the 4 ingredients together. Feel free to use a hand mixer or but the ingredients in a bowl of a stand mixer to combine.
- Cookie Scoop – We like to us a cookie scoop to make the dough balls. This ensures that they are about the same size so they cook evenly. You may even chill the dough before scooping to make it easier.
- Baking Sheet – Line the baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats for easy clean up.
- Press Dough – Gently press the dough with the bottom of a glass to create that crackle look.
Holiday Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies:
I love how beautiful these cookies turn out. I love the dusting of the powdered sugar. I could eat them all! They are that good.
But seriously, make these these red velvet cookies any time of the year. They are also so pretty for Valentine’s Day!
Frequently Asked Questions:
These cookies are easy to store. Leave them on our counter in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can freeze these cookies once they are at room temperature. We recommend placing the cookies on a baking sheet and then freezing for about an hour. Then place in a freezer safe container so you can get out as much as you need.
More Cake Mix Cookies:
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Recipe
- Grinch Cookies Recipe
- Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
- More Easy Cookie Recipes
More Red Velvet Recipes
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
- Red Velvet Poke Cake Recipe
- Red Velvet Cake Balls
- Red Velvet Brownies
We love hearing from you. If you make this Red Velvet Cake Cookies Recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix everything except the powdered sugar into a bowl (Batter will be thick).
- Spoon into balls and roll in the powdered sugar.
- Place on cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies brown SLIGHTLY on the edges.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe