This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
I have quite the sweet tooth. When I want something sweet, I LOVE salty and sweet combined in one delicious dessert. Saltine Cracker Toffee is quick and easy to make but tastes like it took all day to create.
This Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe is delicious and SO easy to make!
Normally toffee making requires a candy thermometer, precision timing and a lot of instructions to follow. But not this saltine toffee crack recipe. These easy steps will have you enjoying this Christmas Recipe with very little prep time.
If you love this toffee recipe, you may also love this Pretzel Toffee Recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Christmas Crack?
Occasionally you will hear about Christmas Crack Recipes. Christmas Crack is where the saltine cracker is covered in brown sugar and melted butter. The you bake it so it will turn into caramel.
The saltine cracker melts into the caramel making it the best sweet and salty treat. You can then top with chocolate for an amazing dessert.
You only need 5 ingredients to create this cracker candy recipe. All the ingredients are simple and easy to find at your favorite grocery store.
- Saltine Crackers (just over a sleeve)
- Brown Sugar
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Pecans (optional topping)
Variations and Substitutions:
- Sugar – The toppings is the easiest way to switch up this recipe. You can also make saltine cracker candy with white sugar instead of brown sugar if you’re currently all out. I prefer the brown sugar but white sugar works great too.
- Peanut Butter – In addition, you can create saltine cracker candy with peanut butter. Just by adding peanut butter chips on top of the chocolate layer. Allow these to melt for a few minutes and then swirl the peanut butter into the chocolate layer.
- Sea Salt – I love to add a sprinkle of sea salt for added flavor.
- Chocolate Chips – Feel free to change up the chocolate chips by using dark chocolate chips.
- Pretzels – Add chopped pretzels instead of pecans for a delicious variation.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350 F so that you can create this toffee recipe.
- Step 2 – Then line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper as it helps with clean up. You will then break up the toffee up once it’s done. So you definitely don’t want to skip this step.
- Step 3 – Then line the crackers in a single layer at the bottom of the pan.
Create Toffee Layer:
- Step 1 – To do this in a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Then bring to a boil and continue boiling for 3 minutes.
- Step 2 – Remove the pan from heat and pour the bubbly mixture over the crackers.
- Step 3 – Then place the pan in oven for 4-5 minutes, or just until edges of brown sugar mixture gets bubbly.
- Step 4 – Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crackers. Allow the chips to sit for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Step 5 – You don’t have to put the pan back in the oven. The heat from the crackers will melt the chocolate.
- Step 6 – After this time, use a butter knife or spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- Step 7 – Then immediately top with chopped nuts (I used pecans) over the melted chocolate.
- Step 8 – I only sprinkled about have on my saltine cracker toffee with pecans. Some people in my family don’t care for nuts. This way everyone gets to enjoy some of this delicious saltine cracker toffee.
- Step 9 – Next place the pan in the refrigerator until the toffee hardens. Once it hardens, remove the pan and carefully lift the cracker toffee out of the pan. You want to make sure it cools completely.
- Step 10 – Don’t worry if you break it as that’s the next step anyway.
- Step 11 – Then break up piece of the toffee. It doesn’t have to be perfect. I love having the different sizes to serve to my friends and family at Christmas time. I love that this recipe can be made in about 15 minutes.
- Baking Sheet – Make sure to use a baking sheet as long as it has sides. You don’t want your “stuff” pouring off the edges of the cookie sheet. Cover the baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Toffee Mixture – Make sure to cover all crackers completely with the toffee mixture. Use a knife to spread the butter and brown sugar mixture over the crackers.
- Breaking Pieces – After toffee has time to chill in the fridge, it is ready to break into pieces. They do not need to be perfect and can be small and large pieces.
Fun Toppings Ideas for Saltine Cracker Candy:
Generally I top this saltine cracker toffee with chopped nuts but you can use your favorite chopped up candy as well.
- Heath Bar
In addition, you can use any type of sprinkles to make this dessert recipe festive and perfect for any holiday. Use your favorite candy or sweet treat topping to make this toffee recipe your favorite this holiday season.
Also, I have melted white chocolate before and drizzled it over the top. I loved the way it tasted and I especially love how it looked.
How to Store:
These saltine cracker toffee are easy to store. Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
These taste great when they are cold.
More Easy Dessert Recipes:
- The Best Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Ritz Crackers
- Easy Cream Cheese Mints Recipe
- Graham Cracker Toffee
If you make this Easy Saltine Cracker Toffee, please leave us a comment. We love hearing from you.
Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 40 Saltine Crackers (just over a sleeve)
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 11.5- oz package Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill the bottom of the cookie sheet with crackers. Set the pan aside.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter over low-medium heat. Add brown sugar once butter is completely melted and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour bubbly mixture over crackers covering the crackers completely.
- Place pan in the oven for 4-5 minutes, or just until edges of brown sugar mixture gets bubbly.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the crackers.
- Allow the crackers to sit for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate. Then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the cracker layer.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans or your favorite topping over the melted chocolate (optional).
- Place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the toffee to harden.
- Then remove the toffee from the pan and break it apart. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe