Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole is a delicious and hearty casserole recipe. It combines our favorite sloppy joe recipe with a cornbread topping.
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole Recipe:
We love making casseroles for an easy weeknight meal. They are hearty, comforting, and always loaded with simple ingredients. This Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole is one of those recipe that is on a weeknight rotation.
This casserole is loaded with comforting ingredients. The sloppy joe mixture is made from scratch and layered in a baking dish. Then topped with a crunchy and delicious cornbread topping. Cheese is then added for a delicious, cheesy topping.
We love making sloppy joes because of the simple ingredients. But adding to this delicious casserole recipe makes this the ultimate sloppy joe recipe. Add your favorite sides to complete this easy dinner idea.
Can I use Canned Sloppy Joes Mixture?
Yes, you can use store bought sloppy joe mixture to combined with the ground beef. But you will be surprised that you can make the sloppy joe with simple ingredients that you probably already have.
Making sloppy joe from scratch taste amazing and you can easily change the ingredients.
- Ground Beef
- Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- Yellow Onion (diced)
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Sauce (8 oz can)
- Brown Sugar
- Yellow Mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded), divided
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix (8.5 oz box)
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole:
- Step 1 – Prepare oven and baking dish – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8X8 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Cook ground beef, pepper and onion. – Brown the ground beef with the red bell pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. Break up the ground beef as it cooks and the vegetables are soft. Drain off any grease from the pan.
- Step 3 – Mix in additional ingredients – Stir in the minced garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Step 4 – Spread into pan – Spread the beef mixture into the bottom of the 8X8 baking pan.
- Step 5 – Make the Cornbread – Whisk together the cornbread ingredients. Mix corn muffin mix, egg, milk and vegetable oil in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in half of the shredded cheese.
- Step 6 – Top the sloppy joe with cornbread. – Spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the sloppy Joe mixture in the casserole dish. Then carefully spread it evenly over the top. Then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Step 7 – Bake casserole – Bake for 25-20 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Step 8 – Serve and enjoy – Let the casserole set for 5-10 minutes. Then the casserole is ready to serve and enjoy.
Substitutions and Addition Ideas:
- Change the Meat – Change the Meat – You can make the sloppy joe with ground turkey or ground chicken. Mix ground turkey and ground beef for an easy way to use leftover meat.
- Cornbread – If you prefer to have a thicker cornbread topping, just double the cornbread mixture. You may need to cook the casserole a little longer. You can also add in slice jalapeno in the mixture to add extra flavor.
- Cheese – We used cheddar cheese but you can easily use other types of cheese. Pepper Jack Cheese or Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese would be a great option.
- Vegetables – Add in green bell pepper, diced zucchini, or chopped broccoli to sneak in additional vegetables. Slice jalapeno’s would be a great addition for an extra kick to the casserole.
- Cream Cheese – If you love the sloppy joe mixture to be extra creamy, mix in some cream cheese.
- Sloppy Joe Sauce – We liked making the sloppy joe sauce from scratch. But you can use the store bought jar if you prefer.
Can I Make this in a 13×9 Baking Dish?
You can double the recipe and cook in a 9X13 baking pan. Increase the cooking time and use a toothpick to ensure that the cornbread is done. I usually double the recipe because my family is so large.
This would be a great casserole to make for a friend having surgery or for a potluck.
What to Serve with Cornbread Sloppy Joe Casserole:
We like to keep things simple around my house. When serving this meal here are some of the easy sides that we like:
- Green Salad – This casserole is hearty so we like to keep it simple with a green salad. Load with vegetables and serve as a delicious side.
- Topping – My kids love to top the sloppy joe casserole with some sour cream.
- Roasted Vegetables – Roast some broccoli or asparagus with a delicious side. Roasted vegetables are a quick and easy side that my entire family enjoys.
- Raw Vegetables – For a sure way to get my family to eat their veggies, I like to make a vegetable tray. Make a side of homemade ranch and include some broccoli, carrots or celery.
Tips for Sloppy Joe Casserole with Cornbread:
- Cheese – We recommend shredding cheese from hunk cheese. It taste better and melts better in this casserole. The Pre-Shredded cheese has added ingredients that are not necessary.
- Cooking Ingredients – When combining the ingredients in the skillet we recommend allowing the ingredients to simmer. Once the mixture has simmered for about 5 minutes then it is ready to place in a casserole dish.
- Baking Dish – We used a 8×8 baking dish to make this simple casserole. You can easily double the recipe or make in two pans to freeze one.
- Topping the Sloppy Joe Mixture – Spoon the cornbread mixture on the mixture. Gently spread the cornbread mixture over the sloppy joe to make sure everything is covered.
- Baking Casserole – Bake the casserole for about 20 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown. We recommend allow the casserole to rest before serving.
How to Store Sloppy Joe Cornbread Bake Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This casserole makes a great lunch the next day. You can easily reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
If you have a lot of casserole leftover, place the mixture in the oven to reheat. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and reheat for about 10 minutes.
Can I Freeze Sloppy Joe Cornbread?
In case you love freezer cooking like me then this is the casserole to make. You are going to love that this Sloppy Joe Casserole can be placed in the freezer.
You simply make the casserole as directed. Go ahead and add the cheddar cheese on top before cooking. Then instead of cooking, cover with foil and freeze. We like to freeze in a disposable pan which makes it easy to freeze.
This would be the perfect casserole to make ahead of time and freeze. Then you can easily thaw and cook for an easy weeknight dinner.
You can also prepare the casserole and bake then freeze. Either way you prepare this casserole, it will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Easy Sloppy Joe Cornbread Recipe:
You are going to love this easy, comforting casserole recipe. It is loaded with the perfect sloppy joe recipe and topped with cornbread and cheese. This casserole cooks perfectly in a casserole dish.
This is one casserole that your kids will clean the plate. Serve with a side of salad or roasted vegetables to complete this meal.
This casserole is easy to double the recipe to make for a crowd or for a potluck. Add this easy casserole to your menu this week.
Print Recipe here for Sloppy Joe Cornbread:
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion diced
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 8 oz can
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese shredded, divided
- 1 pkg Jiffy Cornbread Mix 8.5 oz box
- 1 large Egg
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray an 8X8 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef with the red bell pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium high. Break up the ground beef as it cooks and the vegetables are soft. Drain off any grease from the pan.
- Stir in the minced garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of the 8X8 baking pan.
- Whisk together the cornbread mix, egg, milk and vegetable oil in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in half of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the sloppy Joe mixture in the pan and carefully spread it evenly over the top. Then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-20 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Let the casserole set for 5-10 minutes. Then the casserole is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Doritos Casserole Recipe
- Sloppy Joe Tator Tot Casserole
- Crock Pot Tator Tot Casserole Recipe
- Easy Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe