This Doritos Casserole is one of the best casseroles to make. It is layered with ground beef, taco seasoning, cheese and Doritos. We love that is combines all of our favorite ingredients in a casserole dish.
Doritos Casserole Recipe:
This Doritos Casserole is the more requested casserole dish from my family. I think it is because it has their favorite Doritos chips topped with the all of our favorite taco flavors.
We love casseroles that are both hearty and quick to assemble. It is a perfect casserole that can be served as a weeknight meal or for a game day get together.
This casserole is the ultimate comfort food on a cold day. Serve with your favorite toppings and your meal is complete.
If you love Doritos, make sure you also try our Doritos Taco Salad Recipe.
The Best Ground Beef Casserole:
We eat a lot of chicken at my house. My family is always excited when I cook ground beef for something different. The ingredients in this Doritos Casserole is very simple and the process of making this casserole is just as easy.
If you are looking for a new recipe for Taco Tuesday, this is the one to make.
- Ground Beef
- White Onion, Diced
- Minced Garlic
- Taco Seasoning
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Nacho Cheese Doritos
How to make Dorito Casserole:
- Prepare the oven and Baking Dish – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F . Then spray a 9X13 pan with a non stick cooking spray.
- Cook the Ground Beef – Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then drain off any excess grease.
- Mix in the Garlic – Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in Seasoning – Then add in the Taco Seasoning and Salsa. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in Sour Cream – Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Layer the Cooked Ingredients – Pour ½ of the meat mixture into the 9X13 pan. Then top with ⅓ (approximately 2/3 cups) of the shredded cheese and half of the crushed Doritos.
- Repeat the Layering of the Ingredients – Then repeat these layers again. You will have about a cup of cheese remaining.
- Prepare Pan for Baking – Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add more cheese – Remove the foil, top with the remaining shredded cheese on top. Then bake for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbly.
- Add your favorite Toppings – Top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Favorite Toppings for Dorito Casserole:
We love adding our favorite toppings on this casserole. I like to set out bowls of each of these toppings and the kids can add what they want.
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Avocado
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Green Onions
Can you make Dorito Casserole in advance?
Yes, this is great casserole to make ahead of time. You can assemble the casserole and place in the refrigerator up to about 6 hours before baking.
You might need bake a little longer if you placed in the refrigerator.
Dorito Casserole Variations:
The great thing about casseroles is you can mix in or change up the ingredients to what you have.
- Change the Protein – If you prefer, you can use turkey meat or chicken. Casserole will still be so delicious.
- Use different Chips – You can use tortilla chips instead of cheese Doritos if you prefer.
- Sneak in Vegetables – This casserole is a great way to sneak in those vegetables. Dice up some carrots and broccoli and the kids wouldn’t be able tell they are eating them.
- Creamer Casserole – Add in cream of chicken soup for a creamer casserole.
- Mix in Beans – Mix in some black beans or pinto beans for an even hearty and filling casserole.
- Use different Cheeses – We used cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you can also use Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese. Pepper Jack Cheese is a great substitution if you want it a little spicy.
Tips for the best Dorito Casserole:
- Crushing the Doritos – When I make this casserole, I like to keep the Doritos in bigger pieces. This keeps them from getting to soggy and have that nice crunch.
- Remove the Foil – We like our cheese to be golden brown on top. So we always remove the foil when there is about 5 to 10 minutes left.
- Nachos Cheese Doritos – You can definitely use any type of chips you prefer. But we think it taste the best with the Nachos Cheese Doritos.
- Use Rotisserie Chicken – If you want to change the protein and need an very easy weeknight meal, use rotisserie chicken.
What to serve with Doritos Casserole:
There are many options that you can serve with this Doritos Casserole. It is great by it self, but here are some of our favorite side dishes.
- Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
- Green Salad
How to store Doritos Casserole:
If you have any leftovers, which we rarely do, place in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to about 4 days.
The Doritos will be a little soggy after in the refrigerator. I like to add in a fresh crushed Doritos to give it that extra crunch after heating it in the microwave.
Easy Weeknight Meal!
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, then this is it! The ingredients are simple and the process is easy. It is also a crowd pleaser. My kids ask for this casserole every week.
The best part is that I usually have the ingredients to make this casserole or to some variation. Make this easy casserole dish tonight.
Print Recipe here for Doritos Casserole:
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 White Onion Diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 Bag Nacho Cheese Doritos 10 oz bag, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 pan with a non stick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add in the Taco Seasoning and Salsa. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Pour ½ of the meat mixture into the 9X13 pan, top with ⅓ (approximately 2/3 cups) of the shredded cheese and half of the crushed Doritos. Then repeat these layers again. You will have some shredded cheese remaining.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, top with the remaining shredded cheese and bake for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbly.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe