This White Texas Sheet Cake Recipe is so easy to make. You are going to love this recipe as much as the Chocolate Sheet Cake. It is moist and full of flavor and great for your next family get-together.
Easy White Texas Sheet Cake Recipe:
My family loves the traditional Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake Recipe. But since making the white version of the Texas Sheet Cake this has become our favorite. We are big fans of white or vanilla cake and this recipe did not disappoint.
Do you know the difference between a regular cake and a sheet cake? The main difference is the size of the cake pan. A sheet cake is made in a shallow, large pan. It is usually called a jelly roll pan.
Making a sheet pan cake is the perfect cake to feed a crowd. The cake is easy to make and it is the best cake to make ahead of time.
White Sheet Cake:
This white sheet cake will be your go-to cake recipe. It is very easy to put together with easy ingredients. The sour cream gives it that slight tang that you love. Besides cake box mixes, the sheet cake is a close contender on being the easiest cake to mix.
You literally can mix everything together and pour into your prepared pan and bake in under an hour. Have unexpected guest coming over? Make this cake and they will be so impressed. There have been times with this cake that I haven’t even waited for the cake to cool before frosting it.
I have how the frosting and the cake make the texture of this cake so moist and creamy. I like having warm cake and coffee in the morning. We have been known to heat the cake for a few seconds in the microwave. This white sheet cake is perfect for that.
This white sheet cake is great anytime for you are a feeding a crowd.
- Family Reunions – I always bring a sheet cake to our family reunions. Since the ingredients are simple I pretty much always have everything to make this sheet cake.
- Holiday Gatherings – My family usually gather at my house for holidays, this is the perfect cake to make.
- Family birthday parties – My kid always pick what they want for their birthday dessert, but I usually always make one of these cake to feed the adults.
- Perfect Brunch Food – Invite some friends over, serve some fruit, and egg casserole and this cake and everyone will leave full! Have a hot coffee and tea bar and your friends will be so impressed.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
Ingredients for Frosting:
- Confectioners’ sugar – powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Walnuts, optional
How to make White Texas Sheet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10×15 inch pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a mixer or a large bowl. We like using this kitchenaid stand mixer. Beat in the eggs and sour cream. Set aside.
- Melt on low in a saucepan butter and water. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir butter mixture into the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and golden brown. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting.
- For the frosting: In a large saucepan, combine the butter and milk. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, then fold in the nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over the top of the cake.
- Now your cake is ready to serve and enjoy.
Tips for White Texas Sheet Cake:
- When making this cake, we use a jelly roll pan or a 15×10 cake pan. This size of pan makes the perfect sheet cake.
- If you use other pan size, make sure that you adjust your cooking time.
- You can also use a 9×13 cake pan if that is all you have. Your cake time would increase to about 30 minutes as the cake is thicker.
- You can also use almond extract in this recipe. But we like using vanilla extract.
- You can enjoy this cake without any toppings, but our favorite is chopped walnuts.
- Try topping with shredded coconuts.
- Using sprinkles for a specific holiday that you are celebrating. Red and Green for Christmas, Pastels for Easter, or Orange or Brown for Thanksgiving. If you are making this for a birthday party, gender reveal or a game day party – change out your sprinkles for the special day.
- You can also use other chopped nuts.
- Get creative with the topping. You can top half of of the sheet cake with nuts and the other half plain if you know someone doesn’t like nuts.
- You can also put some white chocolate chips on top. Or combine them with the nuts to increase that sweet and salty effect on this delicious cake.
Can you make this ahead of time:
This cake is perfect to make ahead of time. Since I usually make this cake for a party or a holiday get-together I always make this cake ahead of time. Just store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
You can also just make the cake and frost before you are ready to serve. I think this cake taste better as it rest for 24 hours. The frosting just melts into the cake making the cake so moist and flavorful.
We all get busy during the holiday. Start your baking early with this sheet cake. One less thing you have to make and your guest will be impressed that you had this made.
If you have leftovers, just put it in the refrigerator covered for up to 3-5 days. It is just as good or even better than the day you made it. You can also leave it at room temperature.
Did you know that you can freeze this cake? This cake is the best cake to make ahead and freeze it, then you can thaw it the day of the party. Once the sheet cake has cooled completely and frosted, make sure that it is covered tightly or put in a freezer safe container. The cake is freezer safe for up to 2 months.
Then you will let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can also set it out at room temperature and thaw before serving.
Print recipe here for White Texas Sheet Cake:
White Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
- Ingredients for cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- Ingredients for frosting:
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10×15 inch pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Set aside. Melt the butter on low in a saucepan and add the water. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir butter mixture into the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting.
- For the frosting: In a large saucepan, combine the milk and ½ cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, then fold in the nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over the top of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It Later